Mission Hoax

MagniAesir

For those of you not familiar with this event please read this link http://www.bigfootencounters.com/articles/canadianhoax.htm

As I mentioned on the What draws a skeptic to BF thread, I have some history on this.

A long time friend of mine has always maintained that one of the hoaxers is his cousin.

I have e-mailed him and asked if his cousin would mind giving the full details of his participation. If he agrees I will pass this information along.

Background

At the time of this event I was 12 years old, and this is what I can remember.

I was living in Haney (part of the District of Maple Ridge)at the time which was a small town next to the even smaller town of Mission.

For a few weeks this was the biggest story in the area.

The link above is pretty much what I remember, however I can add this.

The gorilla suit was purchased from a novelty store (long since closed) in Haney called "Crack a joke".

In order to not look like a gorilla suit they shaved the fur on the suit down to about 1 inch inch in length (iirc this part).

I believe that a picture of the suit appeared in an issue of the Haney Gazette (once again iirc)

I am hoping that I can get the full story from the hoaxer as I think that this information can be helpful to researchers.

If any one else has information on this please feel free to add it.

I hope you can uncover more of this story. The problem with reported Bigfoot phenomena, in general, is the absence of sustained investigation. Something comes up, something is reported, little or no follow up, and then the something appears later in a book or article as factual and is used as "evidence."

Good luck!

(Hey, you're a fortunate fellow to live right there in legendary Bigfoot country. Cool!)

Guest tirademan

Yeah, this one is full of weird, I'll give you that.

Maybe a legit sighting, only to be refuted by the purported hoaxers? But again, conjecture.

7 feet tall and a smell...

The driver's story doesn't quite mesh with what the purported hoaxers later claim.

tirademan

post-325-059188700 1294374784_thumb.gif

post-325-068616800 1294374865_thumb.gif

post-325-098282200 1294374936_thumb.gif

The biggest item for me and the one I hope to get more information was the suit.

I remember the gorilla suit hanging in the window of the Crack a joke, and I am sure I have seen a picture of the suit after they shaved it down.

My hope is that they kept pictures or other evidence.

I remember the gorilla suit hanging in the window of the Crack a joke.

I am hoping that the hoaxers kept some stuff over the years such as photos.

I don't know anyone here that doesn't believe the hoaxers.

However I know very few people that even heard of this sighting let alone that it may be a hoax

SSR Team

Why would the Driver report the Smell then & get the Size so wrong ??

Ok maybe he could get the size wrong, but ask your long time Friends Cousin if you can Magni, if he sh*t himself or something whilst running too as i can't understand how the Guy ( witness ) would report the smell as he did..

Why would the Driver report the Smell then & get the Size so wrong ??

Assuming the driver was not participating in the hoax . . .

Assuming the driver did not willfully fabricate details to save face for having fallen for the hoax . . .

The driver's brain could have filled in details perceived as 100% real to him that simply were not there in reality. It doesn't mean that he suffered from any mental illness or was otherwise impaired (although this is always a possibility as well), it simply means that he witnessed something rather incongruous and his brain filled in details to help him make sense of the event. Somewhere in his subconscious, he had been exposed to bigfoot mythology that included the great size of bigfoots and their often pungent odor.

SSR Team

Assuming the driver did not willfully fabricate details to save face for having fallen for the hoax . . .

The driver's brain could have filled in details perceived as 100% real to him that simply were not there in reality. It doesn't mean that he suffered from any mental illness or was otherwise impaired (although this is always a possibility as well), it simply means that he witnessed something rather incongruous and his brain filled in details to help him make sense of the event. Somewhere in his subconscious, he had been exposed to bigfoot mythology that included the great size of bigfoots and their often pungent odor.

Good shout Sas but .................. " The first thing I noticed was the smell...a horrible smell like very rotten meat "

So thats' not just a bad smell, he even described the smell & differenciated the smell from other smells..

If there wasn't a smell at all & he said that, do you really not think it wouldn't imply some kind of mental illness ??

It would to me i think as i would have thought it'd be one thing imaging something but imagining soemthing physical liek that & then describing & differenciating it from soemthing else ( he was specific in what he " thought " it smelt like ?? ) would surely say that not all is right in the Guy's sync.

& you know, 1977, i'd say the Guy would have had to have been pretty seriously involved in research & would have looked at 100's of Reports to have his subconcious even thinking about their often reported pungent odour don't you think ??

But hey, the Human Race never ceases to amaze me..

Decent example of what people actually see & how they see things worngly is on, believe it or not, the out takes of Harry & the Hendersons, the Movie..

They interviewed half a dozen or so people after they filmed on the I-5 Highway with the thing in the Car & i don't think any of them described the Harry thing as what it actually looked like.. :D

Guest parnassus

My experiences with bus travel usually included some pungent odors!!! But seriously the point you make is an excellent one. When confronted with something startling, we try to make it fit with some pre-existing idea. A hairy biped would trigger the idea of a gorilla or a bigfoot.

Edited by parnassus

& you know, 1977, i'd say the Guy would have had to have been pretty seriously involved in research & would have looked at 100's of Reports to have his subconcious even thinking about their often reported pungent odour don't you think ??

No, the guy was living in bigfoot central and this was the mid 70s. I was a kid in NY in the mid-70s and had seen the Legend of Boggy Creek, the PGF, and I had read Byrne's book, among other exposure to the cultural phenomenon. If I knew that bigfoots were supposed to sometimes stink to high heaven, I don't see it as a stretch that an adult living in BC at that time would have known the same thing.

SSR Team

No, the guy was living in bigfoot central and this was the mid 70s. I was a kid in NY in the mid-70s and had seen the Legend of Boggy Creek, the PGF, and I had read Byrne's book, among other exposure to the cultural phenomenon. If I knew that bigfoots were supposed to sometimes stink to high heaven, I don't see it as a stretch that an adult living in BC at that time would have known the same thing.

Fair enough yeah, but to imagine it & actually allocate/assign a specific smell to it is a very alien way of a Person thinking/behaving to me especially when admittedly, his mindset was already screaming " fake/hoax/not real " to him you know.

=========

"At first we thought it was a prankster in a fur suit," said Lindquist, 28, a reserve Vancouver city police officer. "But people were shouting 'what is it, what is it', so I slammed on the brakes to have a look.

"To tell the truth, I thought it was someone trying to con us so I took off after it. I guess I thought I was going to pull off his hat and bawl him out. I don't know why I did it. I'm not sure I really intended to catch up with it."

==========

I just find the smell part strange.

& it's actually scary if the Brain can trick someone like that, if it did, even when the mindset is saying that what it was tricked with, wouldn't actually be possible.

SSR Team

I'm actually siding with this now to be honest & assuming he may well have done what you said, or even downright bare faced lying..

& it's actually scary if the Brain can trick someone like that, . . .

That's why you believe half of what you see, some or none of what you hear and . . . well, I'm not sure what percentage of the things we smell we should believe. I suppose we could hold a seance and ask Marvin Gaye directly, but, ah, no that wouldn't work either.

Guest HucksterFoot

The source of the rotten meat smell could have been from a decomposing animal. Why does it have to be attributed to the BF subject in this event. The Bus driver may have noticed a bad odor in the air at one point, and simply reported it along with whatever else he could recall.

On a different note: Does Bigfoot attract scavenging flies like the western skunk cabbage?

Maybe this foul smell doesn't do any good for the procreation of Bigfoot - (low population) - (Joke) :]

Sometimes I catch a whiff of sweet and purty things in the woods. I guess Bigfoot occasionally bathes/rolls in Sweet Woodruff and Vanilla grass.

If I could just open a Jam Jar, and ponder on my way back home about what I'm going to stick on the label. There is still a few nooks left on my shelf of "many oddities and not many useful" to store these whiffs.

Edited by HucksterFoot