Mission Hoax

MagniAesir

SSR Team

The source of the rotten meat smell could have been from a decomposing animal. Why does it have to be attributed to the BF subject in this event. The Bus driver may have noticed a bad odor in the air at one point, and simply reported it along with whatever else he could recall.

Yep i htought of that..

It would be some coincidence though don't you think ??

So coincidental that i decided not to even mention it.

My friend got back to me today.

He is trying to get in touch with his cousin.

One thing he did say was that he remembers that they had decided to do the hoax because they wanted to fool the bus driver who always talked about sasquatches.

Guest Spazmo

One thing he did say was that he remembers that they had decided to do the hoax because they wanted to fool the bus driver who always talked about sasquatches.

That could easily explain the smell. If the bus driver was already "into BF", he could have subconsciously imposed that detail onto his account, or simply made it up to lend credence to his story (before finding out it was hoaxed).

JMO, of course, but from what I know of human nature, this seems plausible.

Guest HucksterFoot

Yep i htought of that..

It would be some coincidence though don't you think ??

So coincidental that i decided not to even mention it.

I don't see it as a coincidence, not one bit. Why because some bad smell was in the air? According to the Bus driver anyways. I don't find that catching a sniff of some bad smell like rotten meat, or whatever, an odd occurrence. Especially along a roadside. This stink could have drifted from wherever.

I forgot, I wanted to add: Did this Bus driver have some sort of smell meter, or say on a scale to one to ten just how bad/intense the smell was?

Edited by HucksterFoot

Guest HucksterFoot

The Bus driver could have been smelling a dead squirrel for all we know.

Again, why is the smell attributed to this BF/guy in a suit? If in fact the Bus driver actually did smell something bad. He probably did.

I don't think it is rare or unusual to smell bad things in the air from time to time. I also don't think it is rare to come across a decomposing animal, or to just catch the smell of one along a roadside, or in the woods. I do, almost every time out in the woods.

So what is it? If one were to smell something a little off and then notice a rabbit, then the logic would be that the rabbit must be the source of this smell?

Edited by HucksterFoot

Guest rockinkt

That could easily explain the smell. If the bus driver was already "into BF", he could have subconsciously imposed that detail onto his account, or simply made it up to lend credence to his story (before finding out it was hoaxed).

JMO, of course, but from what I know of human nature, this seems plausible.

Exactly.

SSR Team

Well we'll probably never know the truth Huckster but i'm with Spazmo on this..

I'd be amazed if it wasn't either/or what he said after Magni told us that Linquist was always talking about BF...

Guest HucksterFoot

Well we'll probably never know the truth Huckster but i'm with Spazmo on this..

I'd be amazed if it wasn't either/or what he said after Magni told us that Linquist was always talking about BF...

I'm not here to win an election, and I am not trying to tell you or anyone what exactly happened. Just tossing out a plausible explanation for the smell that he described. It is also very possible that he made it up. Put it to you this way, I'm not deciding what exactly happened back then, one way or the other. You're right, how would anyone ever know if he had smelled something bad or not.

Edited by HucksterFoot

Another bonus for me.

I contacted Thomas Steenburg, and he has graciously offered to let me see his file on the case.

I am sort of stoked about the whole thing.

Another bonus for me.

I contacted Thomas Steenburg, and he has graciously offered to let me see his file on the case.

I am sort of stoked about the whole thing.

Exciting news! Please keep us informed!

It's very rare to imagine/hallucinate smell. Auditory hallucinations are more common than visual hallucinations, olfactory "misreads" are rare without a physical reason like a sinus infection being the most minor cause. As someone said, could have been road kill in the area but it would be unlikely for someone to fill in the blanks by noting a smell that really wasn't there.

A quick update

I was able to visit Mr. Steenburg and review his file on this event.

The newspaper articles pretty much confirm the articles that are on this thread.

Some of the passengers on the bus stated right away they thought it was a hoax.

And the picture of one of the casts that Mr. Steenburg showed me looked "very crisp" around the edges for want of a better word.

Mr. Steenburg also showed me a picture (Bigfoot by Ken Wylie)taken by Rene Dahinden of the suit.

I will say that the suit in the picture looks the same as the suit that used to hang in the display window of the Krack a joke.

Mr. Steenburg also stated in no uncertain terms that this was a hoax.

I still plan on going to the museum to see if I can photograph John Green's cast, and talk to Rene (hoaxer).

The only downside of today's meeting was that I was pressed for time and not able to view some of the casts that Mr. Steenburg was willing to show me.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed, but then forgot that it existed. The other thread, 'What Draws the Skeptic to BF?', had brought up the Mission Hoax story back on December 27th (post #1181), and discussion in that thread ensued, with Huntster holding out that it wasn't proven a hoax because he wasn't aware of anyone producing the suit. (I'm paraphrasing liberally here)

By the time I found the Wasson tidbit, that old thread was closed, and I had forgotten about this one. If mods want to merge them I certainly have no objection.

RayG

Looks like I am at a dead end for now anyways.

I can't get into the museum until they change their hours, and so far I haven't heard from Rene