When To Shoot Or When To Run Or Even Hide?

Guest tracker

Guest walkabout

I definitely would never want to go hunting for one and I am a hunter. But if one of them chucks a pine cone at me, it's on.

To that, I would say, proceed with caution my friend.

Edited by walkabout

One of the weirdest reports I know of described a guy in a blind he set up over a ungulate carcass that was alledgedly killed by a sasquatch. Interestingly enough, he supposedly saw the creature come in, plugged it with a gun, and it ran off screaming. The story was related by Jim Hewkins, a retired Oregon biologist interested in fieldsign regarding sasquatch.

If that story is true, it is an example of what could be done potentially to observe them.

I've baited black bears for years. Remarkably, I've never shot a black bear over bait. My experience is that baiting works well on younger, inexperienced bears. The big ones get big for a reason; they're not stupid.

I know of a man who had a blind so close to a mother grizzly nursing her cubs he was afraid that if he took a picture the click from the camera would put the sow on alert and he did not want her coming into his blind... surely a bad move. Another man in a blind in Asia looked over to see a tiger face looking in at him. Luckily he was in a location where tiger attack was VERY rare so it freaked and just took off. Can you imagine being in a tent and being roused only to see the tent unzipped and have a hand or face come in to SEE you ?

Those are illustrations of why I don't bait from a ground blind. Bear baiting has come under repeated attack from the Bambi Brigades, and the last thing I need to do is give them propaganda fodder by having to shoot a sow brown bear with cubs in self defense after baiting them in to my location.

The problem with that is that sitting in a tree for a day or so gets old fast. It's much more comfortable in a tent.

Well you have to admit that bigfoot hunting and bear hunting probably have a lot in common, so its not surprising that bear hunting should be discussed. In Canada bows have a lot to offer. They are not as regulated as firearms. There are a lot more hunting areas (bow and shotgun only) with better choice in game, and better quality game, you get to hunt earlier than everyone else, and if you're good at it it is just as effective at close range. But you better be good at it. Many hunters go to bow because they're so good at hunting with a rifle that the extra challenge it presents is fun. I know it is old technology but so what. Another thing I like is that your kids are not as likely to be able to hurt themselves with it. It is not as handy to grab and shoot. It takes muscle to pull it, muscle the kids just don't have. So its safer to have in a house with kids I think. You can just hang it on the wall, no need to lock it away or have special storage for it, special travel permits and all that. And the same gear can be used for multiple types of different game, and even fish. And to practice I just set up a but in the back field, no need to have a membership at a rifle range. Anywayz.

From my perspective a bow is more dangerous than a gun. If a gun is kept pointed in a safe direction even misfires can be controlled. I've trained all of my children on safe gun handling skills and two out of the four have passed hunter's safety courses. They understand you don't point guns at anything you do not intend to destroy.

Where as those **** broad heads are just a constant worry. Yes, they are in a quiver, but it seems like they can get bumped and fall out, whatever. I generally cut myself (not bad mind you) every year in handling them as well. A guy in Montana one time got bucked off of his horse with his bow and quiver on his back and got a back full of razor blades for his troubles. He dang near bled out before they got him to medical attention.

And I've taken bear with a bow as well. It's just unbelievable carnage......I was using buck blasters:

http://www.cabelas.com/mechanical-trophy-ridge-rocket-aeroheads-buckblaster-broadheads.shtml?type=product&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleBaseUSA&WT.z_mc_id1=745000&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=E3899052-F5D2-DF11-82EF-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA

I've never seen so much blood in all my dang life. Let's just say it wasn't hard to follow the blood trail.

And yes, Canada has some pretty strict gun laws, so I can understand why people would rather bow hunt.

Guest tracker

From my perspective a bow is more dangerous than a gun. If a gun is kept pointed in a safe direction even misfires can be controlled. I've trained all of my children on safe gun handling skills and two out of the four have passed hunter's safety courses. They understand you don't point guns at anything you do not intend to destroy.

Where as those **** broad heads are just a constant worry. Yes, they are in a quiver, but it seems like they can get bumped and fall out, whatever. I generally cut myself (not bad mind you) every year in handling them as well. A guy in Montana one time got bucked off of his horse with his bow and quiver on his back and got a back full of razor blades for his troubles. He dang near bled out before they got him to medical attention.

And I've taken bear with a bow as well. It's just unbelievable carnage......I was using buck blasters:

http://www.cabelas.c...r:referralID=NA

I've never seen so much blood in all my dang life. Let's just say it wasn't hard to follow the blood trail.

And yes, Canada has some pretty strict gun laws, so I can understand why people would rather bow hunt.

I've been considering picking up a bow or maybe two. One for my teenage son so we can hunt together. Bow hunting may bring back the challenge and there's less hassel as NM mentions. It's you guys in the PNW and NWT or Alaska that need rifles for the more frequent dangerous critters out there. I did hike all over the PNW unarmed or with just a knife, except Alaska. And in all my adventures out there I only ever had one pred (grizzly) ever turn and hunt me. The rest just kept going about their day. I had more probs from the large game animals. :)

Guest tracker

Well you have to admit that bigfoot hunting and bear hunting probably have a lot in common, so its not surprising that bear hunting should be discussed. In Canada bows have a lot to offer. They are not as regulated as firearms. There are a lot more hunting areas (bow and shotgun only) with better choice in game, and better quality game, you get to hunt earlier than everyone else, and if you're good at it it is just as effective at close range. But you better be good at it. Many hunters go to bow because they're so good at hunting with a rifle that the extra challenge it presents is fun. I know it is old technology but so what. Another thing I like is that your kids are not as likely to be able to hurt themselves with it. It is not as handy to grab and shoot. It takes muscle to pull it, muscle the kids just don't have. So its safer to have in a house with kids I think. You can just hang it on the wall, no need to lock it away or have special storage for it, special travel permits and all that. And the same gear can be used for multiple types of different game, and even fish. And to practice I just set up a but in the back field, no need to have a membership at a rifle range. Anywayz.

Yea I agree hunting bear is prob the closest thing. Brown bear would be closer if you could hunt them. How many have hunted grizzly on foot or horseback here intentionally? Not dropping one out of self defence or tree stand hunting.

Guest tracker

Hey guys lets remember that most of the readers or members are not hunters here. And therefore may not carry guns to protect them on what should be just a nice family hike or camping trip. It's alot easier to be brave when you got weapons or park rangers to back you up but what if you don't.

So here's another scenerio that I wanted bring up.

What about if you or your camp is being harrased or at least you think it is. This could be a one night occurence or for several nights until you leave. So like i said above, great if you have a rifle but what if you don't?

So you may have one or more large creatures following or circling your camp at night inside the tree line and out of sight. Maybe some sounds like, chirping, breathing, screaming, branch breaking or even rock throwing? Or you returned from a hike after being followed or you find camp gear missing or moved or maybe even your camp was turned out.

So unless your into Sasquatching, or your family likes that kind of attention. What should the average joe with kids do?

Guest vilnoori

It happens. Grab a couple of pots or rocks and bang them together, and shout a lot. Make a lot of noise. Hopefully bruin leaves in a hurry. Notify the parks people if he/she doesn't because a habituated bear in a park is asking for trouble. Move to a different park if you have to. Always be bear safe in food keeping and prep--don't leave food or garbage around the camp site, make sure it is stored in a sealed container in a closed in vehicle, or if you are off road, hang it far up in a tree. Especially don't keep food or even toothpaste in tents. Avoid eating fish, peanut butter and minty stuff on trail, it attracts bears. Carry bear spray and bear bangers in a handy location and know how to use it if you have to. You know, the common sense stuff.

Edited by vilnoori

I've been considering picking up a bow or maybe two. One for my teenage son so we can hunt together. Bow hunting may bring back the challenge and there's less hassel as NM mentions. It's you guys in the PNW and NWT or Alaska that need rifles for the more frequent dangerous critters out there. I did hike all over the PNW unarmed or with just a knife, except Alaska. And in all my adventures out there I only ever had one pred (grizzly) ever turn and hunt me. The rest just kept going about their day. I had more probs from the large game animals. :)

Chances are nothing is going to happen, a gun is simply a insurance policy. If your number is called and you only have a knife? Good luck with that. :( You may want to add some bear spray to your tool kit if a gun is a hassle for you. In fact, generally speaking, bear spray is more effective than a gun, unless your proficient with one.

And as Vil is pointing out, a person can be smart about not making themselves a target. But regardless chance encounters do happen and a charge could be forth coming. There are back packer SOP's in place for such an encounter, but I do not find any of them to my liking. :)

As far as bow hunting with your son? I cannot think of a better way for a father and son to bond and share the outdoors. ;) Your also teaching him a grass roots way of procuring food to feed his family if things get bad. Yes, it's a hobby but a dang useful one. If you have any questions I would be happy to help out any way I can.

Hey guys lets remember that most of the readers or members are not hunters here. And therefore may not carry guns to protect them on what should be just a nice family hike or camping trip. It's alot easier to be brave when you got weapons or park rangers to back you up but what if you don't.

So here's another scenerio that I wanted bring up.

What about if you or your camp is being harrased or at least you think it is. This could be a one night occurence or for several nights until you leave. So like i said above, great if you have a rifle but what if you don't?

So you may have one or more large creatures following or circling your camp at night inside the tree line and out of sight. Maybe some sounds like, chirping, breathing, screaming, branch breaking or even rock throwing? Or you returned from a hike after being followed or you find camp gear missing or moved or maybe even your camp was turned out.

So unless your into Sasquatching, or your family likes that kind of attention. What should the average joe with kids do?

Leave.

If I thought I was putting them in a dangerous situation, I would just remove us from that situation. It's a different mindset than a hunting trip where one is basically "looking" for trouble.

Guest tracker

Not much of a Zing more of a ping. :)

That's it? So without a weapon you guys don't go into the woods and are just going to run away? :huh: What happen to the never run tough guy advice? Come on guys we can do better than that. ;)

How many times have we heard or read reports of a snoopy sasq visiting campsites late at night. Or people running into one while canoeing or hiking and have no weapons to defend themselves with if needed? Sometimes you can't just pack up and leave.

So with or without guns just back up slowly & give it (them) some room. While in camp start fire and keep it going. Use lanterns if raining but ration the batt power. . Make torches from the campfire. Take shifts on watch while others pack or keep the fire going. And always stay in the fire light don't go into the shadows behind tents or trailers. If you can make it to your vehicles that's good. If not try not to show your fear and be as calm as you can stand back to back with torches from the fire.

Hey alot of encounters happen in parks where there's no weapons allowed. So use your intruder bear plan that should also work with Sasq unless they start throwing rocks or something? Here's some reports from BFRO. If you know of some better ones post them.

http://www.bfro.net/...rt.asp?id=28066

http://www.bfro.net/...ort.asp?id=2419

http://www.bfro.net/...ort.asp?id=2444

Edited by tracker

Not much of a Zing more of a ping. :)

That's it? So without a weapon you guys don't go into the woods and are just going to run away? :huh: What happen to the never run tough guy advice? Come on guys we can do better than that. ;)

Well there is a fine line between being tough and receiving a Darwin award. :D As I've stated early if packing a gun is not a possible solution, then I would have some bear spray.

And it's a insurance policy, 99% of the time a person isn't going to need it. But it's that 1% event that is really going to ruin your day if your not prepared. Boy Scout motto and all that.

How many times have we heard or read reports of a snoopy sasq visiting campsites late at night. Or people running into one while canoeing or hiking and have no weapons to defend themselves with if needed? Sometimes you can't just pack up and leave.

My actions will be different if I'm in daddy mode. If I think a very real threat exists for my children, I'm going to be extracting them from the situation, post haste. Their safety comes first before any other consideration.

Personally, if sasquatch is charging, I'm dropping everything, grabbing my keys, and getting in the car/truck and leaving. There will be no packing.

Guest tracker

Yea safety first as norseman said, Even if your family is just scared by having one too close. The Bf's may not do much other than make noises at you but it's ok to leave as Jodie also says. Most people would as soon as they could. You want to be able to continue enjoy the outdoors without fear.

Sure it's cool to see one at a safe distance ? and if you got a rifle. But up close at night maybe throwing rocks, walking through or disturbing your camp or just screaming at you from the tree line. That changes things, so be brave as you pack or make your way to the vehicle.

If you are interior camping be preparred to leave at first light. And set up camp and get a fire going well before dark if you can't make it out all in one days hike. If your portaging, canoe to an island after you put some distance from your last camp. Sometimes they will follow you.

After you make it back you will have to decide if you want to report the encounter or not? Reporting it helps witnesses cope with the after effects. And it helps us by providing location info(tracking) and insight into their behaviour. You may run into some skeptics, so just use an alias.

The more aggressive encounters seem to be reported less often? They go unreported for many years and so we end up with a data base mostly of timid or brief encounters. Maybe because these timid encounters are also more believable?

Anyways we start assuming that they are always gentle and timid because of the reports we do have. Or we start over humanizing them believing they will do no harm. Which is usually cured once you run into them but you are caught unprepared thinking them to be tame.

JMO tracker. dry.gif

Edited by tracker

• masterbarber locked and unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber locked this topic