What Is Killing Off The Sasquatch? Yoicks! Could It Be Us?

Guest Kane2002

Huntster did you read those articles you cited?

Yup. And much, much more.

You?

I won't discuss GW or polar bears any further in this thread out of respect of our mod's wishes.

You brought up "endangered" polar bears, not I. I just responded.

In North America, their numbers are up from a half century ago.

Maybe it's colder here?...............

Guest vilnoori

Since these animals who have been hunted regularly are losing their fear of us why haven’t the Sasquatch? Why don’t we see them on a regular basis? Have we ever done anything to hurt them? My wife says, “we don’t see them because there aren’t any.†I say, “we don’t see them because there are **** few.†The big question is why? They don’t have any predators. What is killing them off? They should have a normal growth and population increase.

Great post, Kane. However, BF do have predators, when they are young. No large predator is ever completely immune from predation of it's young. There might be a vulnerable age for them between when the infant is carried around most of the time and when it is still too young to tag along, especially since it seems they do not have task specialization like we do so mom has to do the hunting and foraging and might have to leave baby hidden somewhere for part of that time. (Hint to researchers, keep eyes open for possible nests and hidden babies, that's bound to be more productive than confronting an adult so long as mamma's not around or within earshot, which actually she probably is, sigh).

Secondly, if these are hominins or early members of the genus Homo, only modern humans have had the mental ability to change behaviours quickly. Their ability to adapt is part of our specialness. For example, the type of stone tools that were used and made (Mousterian) were much the same from the tiny habilines in Africa up to the early Archaic Homo sapiens. In other words, they chipped blades from cores and modified them slightly to make different tools mainly for butchering. Whether or not they hafted them is in doubt. Hafting, polishing or grinding stone blades and so forth were apparently done only by modern people within the last 30,000 years or so (relatively recently). Consider also that even chimps are capable of taking a stick and sharpening them with their teeth to skewer bush babies hiding in tree trunks, or chew on the ends of grass to provide a fishing tool for termites, or select a hammer stone of the perfect weight so as to break open a nut without smashing it. The time during which the Mousterian tool kit was in use is hundreds of thousands of years, over different continents and different species of Homo. That speaks of a high level of conservative thinking in anything except our own species.

Since the earliest possible modern human is thought to have been about 200,000 years ago (and that is very generous, most consider our species only about 100,000 years old) coexistence of other species of Homo and ourselves would have been on the order of tens or hundreds of thousands of years. Compared to that, the time in which we have ceased to be a threat to them (though that is debatable if you take into account pro-kill researchers and shotgun-happy drunken hunters or youths, of which it seems there is no shortage), say, the last 30 years or so is not even a blink of the eye.

Considering that up in Canada there are possibly whole clans of sasquatches that have never even encountered white men I don't see why their shyness would have had time to fade.

Guest Kane2002

Hey thanks folks, Chris thank you for the clearification. It would be just my luck to catch one of those suckers and looking for a reward, get a whopping fine! Vilnoori, good intelligent posts. I am envious of your knowledge. Are you in BC? I love Canada, its a great Country.

Guest Kronprinz Adam

D. Why are they so afraid of us? We don't hunt them, shoot them, or trap them, so why are they

so shy around us?

Hi Kane!! The human is a creature of dual nature. We are lovely with our kids and families...but we are also able to predate animals until extinction (e.g. Bisons) with our weapons, or to burn or destroy entire parts of the forest.

I think they are shy to protect themselves and their families. We do not trap them...because we do not know how to find them!! For many people, Sasquatch does not exist...

It seems they have developed some very stealthy nocturnal lifestyle, to avoid us. (Several native american legends speaks about clashes in the past of the giants and the people, but then the native americans recognized that some mountains and valleys should be avoided because they were inhabited by these amazing creatures). Some people also think that Sasquatch evolved parallel to us...

I wonder if and when Sasquatch comes in contact with humans or with the byproducts of humans, like our trash, partially eaten Burger Kings; as they rummage in the trash bins, of our waste, things we have handled, are they susceptible to our colds, flues, smallpox and other health problems? We have developed immunity and shots for a lot of these diseases. They have not.

So, to me that would explain why there are so few. When they do get sick they go off and find a hidden place to die, not to be found. Most animals will do that. Also could they have come to realize that even if they come in contact with us they get sick? They don't know why but that would keep any animal away.

All of this assumes they have a certain degree of intelligence. Do we know they don't? This is something to think about. Input please.

This is also very interesting!! I think we have no data about Sasquatch's immunity to our diseases...I personally think that Sasquatch should have a immune system quite better than us (if they survive all-weather conditions eating forest things)...but I think if they somehow get prolonged contact with humans, they will face also our same diseases....

Guest Kane2002

As I have said, I can subscribe to the loss of habitat as a reason there are so few Sasquatch. But I also think that after time they could adapt to that, as have some other animals. The predator thing I will have to think about. What predator? I can’t think any thing would attack them as a food source. The young perhaps, but mother Sas. would be around and would be a pretty formidable deterrent. Look at all the smaller ungulates. Deer, antelope also rabbits and small rodents. They are at the bottom of the food chain and are doing quite well even with a high mortality rate. So would a large bear attack? Would a pack of wolves attack? I don’t think so. In the first place there are not very many large bear and wolf packs in the lower 48 to begin with. As few or less than our Sasquatch, I don’t think it would be cost effective for Sasquatch to be sought out as a food source. Remember meat eaters don’t often go after other meat eaters as a food source. They prefer the vegetarians. In fact, one of the first parts they eat is the content of their prey’s stomach. That’s to get the vegetation they need. Neither man nor other carnivore can live on meat alone. We all need our veggies. I am not saying that carnivores will not eat other carnivores but I don’t think they will by choice. Besides the predator will not wish to get hurt or take a risk of getting hurt either. To be crippled is to die.

So these are my thoughts. Some reoccurring diseases in addition to internal parasites are keeping them in check. Very few Sasquatch abound. Now that there is a lot of fresh snow in the mid-west we should be getting a lot of new reports of fresh tracks and sightings!

• 6 years later...

DUDE!  WE ARE.  How long did it take you to figure this out?  WE ARE KILLING OFF EVERYTHING, pretty much.

DUDE! YOU ARE responding to a six year old posting, and the poster is long gone. He can't hear you, but you blather on, as if you're making a valid point and he gives a rat's arse.

• Upvote 1

Oh pipe down sonny.  Turn up the hearing aid, and hear what I said earlier:  I could give a rat's arse.  I am dredging up old stuff that isn't, BTW, 'cos you haven't found sasquatch in the interim now have you, because it is interesting, and too many of you here now (see my Ignore list) are not.

And all those threads are getting new life.  Just call me Johnny Threadseed, no, pro bono.  RAISE GAME otherwise. 

Edited by DWA

I can think of 3 letters that are killing off new membership to the forum with his juvenile antics.

• Upvote 1

Sad to see what's become of BFF. The alphabet soup has gone rotten. FU, DWA.

Edited by Incorrigible1

TFW you've binder dindered your last nagel and you still have 156 posts to go to 10 000...

binder.jpg

Edited by Squatchy McSquatch

^^ I've read that report and watched that very news clip.  Sounded good to me, threw it on the PILE of evidence. That's right kiddos every single dingle wingle bit of it, UNDENIABLE.  SCIEEEEENCE!!!!

• masterbarber locked this topic