• Announcements

• masterbarber

T shirt fund drive   07/17/2018

norseman has designed a t shirt and started a fund drive on custom ink. He is going to split the proceeds between the BFF and Project Grendel.  "We all owe this website a tremendous debt of gratitude. Our community and history would not exist without it. As far as the Project Grendel proceeds, I would like to see it go towards the purchase of a thermal scope."
      -norseman     https://www.customink.com/fundraising/sasquatch-hunter
BFSleuth

Colorado Sighting Of Two Bf In The Road

176 posts in this topic

Some kinds of poisonous mushrooms will cause whole body tremors. I wonder whether this might be a case of poisoning, or perhaps intentional intoxication?

salubrious, you mentioned that they seemed to know what they were doing. I'm assuming you had the impression that their position and place had an intention. If you had to make a wild guess what their intent or purpose was for being there, what would you think it was?

Possibly something in the environment that we can't perceive? Someone mentioned earthquake or seismic activity, did anyone check to see if there was anything at all for the time and date? Bad storm moving in like a blizzard even though it was September? Manmade? What bases or mining facilities are around the area? That would be interesting to check out.

They could have gotten a hold of something intoxicating........

I had been in the area for a week, and also the week following. No earthquake or blizzards, that's for sure. Mining is off in the mountains- nothing really that close to the top of the Divide.

Some kinds of poisonous mushrooms will cause whole body tremors. I wonder whether this might be a case of poisoning, or perhaps intentional intoxication?

salubrious, you mentioned that they seemed to know what they were doing. I'm assuming you had the impression that their position and place had an intention. If you had to make a wild guess what their intent or purpose was for being there, what would you think it was?

I've seen a lot of animals on the road and elsewhere. You can usually count on nearly anything on the road to look your way, especially if you approach in a vehicle at low speed and get really close. So they had to be not looking by intention. The best idea I've had in the last 2 decades is that it was some sort of attention getting device *or* this pose was being used as camouflage. The former is really uncharacteristic to say the least, but the latter does not make sense either- move over a few feet (off the road) and I might well have missed them entirely.

Edited by salubrious

Their behavior is baffling, to say the least. Is it possible the tremors you observed could have been due to sickness? As you stated, it wasn't cold (at least from a hairy animal point of view).

I've been racking my brain trying to come up for an explanation for their behavior. You are right that animals will almost always look at you if you are approaching. I'm leaning toward your theory that they were trying to hide, but the tremors and agitation you observed is unusual.

You are right that animals will almost always look at you if you are approaching. I'm leaning toward your theory that they were trying to hide, but the tremors and agitation you observed is unusual.

If they were hiding they also knew they were not doing it very well. Its not like they did not know I was there- in both cases I got the truck within 10 feet. Given what I have read about them since "50x shyer than a gorilla" being out in the open like that could have easily had them nervous like off the charts- "is this going to work?? Yikes! I'm in plain sight..." To me the agitation needs no explanation; more to the point, why were they there? My only guess is that it was some sort of attention ploy, if so maybe I surprised them by just driving by??

On a lighter note, perhaps they were engaging in some trendy new adolescent behavior, like planking... :) !

Colorado doesn't have earthquakes to speak of. Very few, and those in SE Colorado. They have more even in Oklahoma.

Maybe mercury poisoning from old prospector's gold rush leftovers in the crik? that is about all I can come up with.

Edited by Kings Canyon

I'm thinking if poisoning is involved it may be mushroom or fungus related and could be an intentional ingestion of a psychotropic.

The mercury issue is a real one in old mining areas...I've have seen beads of mercury in Colorado mountain brooks, myself. But I don't know that the rest of their behavior lines up with that diagnosis, esp. the twin postures and all that.

I agree the intentional ingestion of psychoactive psomething or other seems a possibitlity.....a vision quest ala Carolos Casteneda? A shaman sort of rite of some kind. You'd have to be on something, I guess! That might be the best guess at the mystery of this sighting.

Well, now I'm not so sure, not being that familiar with the symptoms of mercury poisoning (although a quick search noted tremors in the face and extremities) or with mushrooms (the variety of symptoms seem to be specific to type of mushroom but I didn't see anything indicating full body tremors).

If not poisoning, then shivering due to onset of hypothermia would be the most logical explanation of the tremors salubrious observed (I've had that experience and nearly broke a rib). However, the temperature wasn't very cold and BF do seem to have a high tolerance to cold.

This is an enigma inside a puzzle.

I've had hypothermia. The onset of hypothermia is normally associated with the end of shivering. In other words, if you are shivering, you haven't got hypothermia (yet). One of the other symptoms is extreme torpor. You just want to lie down and go to sleep (which can be fatal). This doesn't sound much like the behaviour of these two animals.

Mike

I thought I made a post, but didn't.

Mushrooms. That's my guess.

But maybe I should go back to sleep???

MikeG, I perhaps misspoke about my experience as being hypothermia. What I experienced was akin to uncontrollable whole body tremors so powerful I ended up pulling muscles in my rib cage and thought I'd broken a rib or two.

Ouch! Torn intercostals are a nightmare!!! Probably worse than cracked ribs......

Yeah, it sounds like you were close to hypothermia, and you want to be grateful you kept shivering. I had a little ride in a rescue helicopter as the result of my experience, and then worst of all, they don't warm you up! It is about a 4 to 6 hour process to get your body temperature back to normal. When all I wanted to do was sit in a hot bath and drink hot tea they gave me luke warm tea and a "space blanket".

Anyway......back to the topic.........

Mike

In my experience it was a self rescue after spending a night at 13,000' during winter on Rainier. Sitting on a pad on a small ledge hacked from steep ice, no sleeping bag, no stove, a handful of gorp, and about a cup of slushy water. Not fun.

Amazing how you can actually feel heat spreading from your stomach after eating a small mouthful of gorp ration every other hour.

But enough about me... back to the topic at hand... :)

I wonder if it was a misplaced camouflage hide attempt. They adopt the "when is more open area's", if we don't move, you wont see me technique. The tremors could have been out right fear, of either the person, the vehicle, or both. Maybe it was one of those deals where if a person comes near, freeze, in a blending position, and wait them out. Is there any really large expanses around there? Maybe the where less knowledgeable of people and their ways than some others?

For those that where exploring autism a little, does this seem like a potentially autistic response? Or some sort of evolutionary modified version of one?