SquatchinNY

Scary Sightings...

38 posts in this topic

Which kind of sighting makes you look over your shoulder the most.

-From house, near house

-The "camping" reports

-Other

I've never had a sighting but the from house, near house scenario would freak me out knowing it happened at/near my home. You can leave a campsite and not be as obligated to return as your home. Maybe if it showed some aggression or startled you as opposed to just walking away or walking past you at a distance would easier to handle. I suppose the hard part is you never know when you'll see one, and some say you don't exactly get to choose the fact you see it. Rather it shows itself to you if it chooses. It's always unnerving to think that you don't have much control over a situation.

The "cowman" story is pretty scarey. It made contact with the toddler son first then when confronted it destroyed their home.

Dxtsniper I would like to read that sighting report. Got a link or tell me where to find it?

It's called "The Cowman of Copalis Beach, Washington" . I'm not sure it's a real story but it's one of the better "scary" ones out there IMO. I think it's on the bigfoot encounters site.

Edited by dxtsniper

http://bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=13653

I've always loved this one. Partly because the location is very close to my front door but there's also something about the way this creature moved back and forth as if looking for something in the ocean, that has always lended itself to being included in threads like this IMHO.

Cheers

I had to go with Other.

The reports that "bother" me the most would have to be the ones where the creature or creatures are behaving in a manner that is strange/aberrant compared to how other wild animals would behave.

The one scenario that I find the most disturbing is: Creatures who approach & attempt to gain entry to homes, campers, cabins, and/or vehicles.

I ran across this:

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/classics/beck.htm

In Chapter 2 talking about the aftermath of the famous Ape Canyon attack of 1924, it talks about the the case of Jim Carter. Jim was with a large group of mountaineers that had climbed Mt. St. Helens, then were skiing back down the mountain...

"Bob Lee of Portland, a leader of the 1961 Himalayan expedition and adviser to last year's Himalayan expedition... was a member of a party that searched for Jim Carter, an experienced skier and mountaineer, who vanished on the mountain in 1950. His disappearance remains a mystery.

Somebody Watched

At the time, Lee was a member of the Seattle Mountain Search and Rescue unit. He described the search for Carter as "the most eerie experience I ever had." He said that every time he was cut off from the rest of the search party he felt "somebody was watching me."

Carter, he said, had climbed the mountain with some companions on a warm, clear Sunday. He left the group to take a picture and said he would ski to the left of the group. He was never seen again.

His tracks, however, indicated that he suddenly took off down the mountain in a wild, death-defying run that no experienced skier would make — unless he was pursued, Lee said.

The track went in the direction of Ape Canyon. But no trace of Carter or his equipment was found although the area was combed for two weeks."

I've read other references to this story, and apparently he skied over crevasses and took a direct downhill line in areas where it would have been apparent that his speed would have been out of control with the equipment of the day (you fall, you break your leg... no release bindings at that time).

I emphasized "The track went in the direction of Ape Canyon". The major changes in the mountain from the eruption of 1980 was toward the north. Ape Canyon is to the east of the top of the old Dogs Head, which was on the North side of the mountain. The condition of Ape Canyon, from the top down, is close to the same as it was then.

If you have a chance, use Google Earth to explore the upper end of Ape Canyon. If you are coming down the mountain toward Ape Canyon on skies, you wouldn't see it until it was too late if you were going real fast and didn't want or couldn't slow down.

It suddenly hit me after reading about this account again, that there is absolutely no good reason that a skier on a clear blue Sunday afternoon with great visibility and hardly any trees, would choose to go down into Ape Canyon. He was driven into Ape Canyon.

One of the most ancient methods of hunting is to drive game over a cliff. The top of Ape Canyon would make a perfect spot to drive game for a fall to the death. Several BF working in coordination could easily funnel him at high speed right into the trap. By the time he realized it, he wouldn't be able to stop because they would be on him anyway. His only choice would have been to keep his speed to avoid getting grabbed and hope for the best.

Given the skis of the day, and the slope of the terrain, how fast would he have been going, and how long could a bf keep a sustained sprint going for? It seems like he travelled quite far.

Surely if there were ski tracks associated with some sort of sas attack or pursuit, there would also have been sas tracks? None were mentioned as far as I could see.

Mike

I don't recall any mention of BF tracks in any of the reports about this disappearance, either.... and I looked. Depending on the air and snow temperature and time of day tracks may or may not have been visible. I've been there on a nice sunny day, but had to use crampons to get any traction because the snow was frozen. This incident happened in May, and at that time of year there would be a heavy snowpack and the snow would likely be very firm and frozen.

Regarding how fast one could ski down that slope, well if you point your skies downhill and let 'er rip you wouldn't be hard pressed to be well over 40-50 mph in no time. From the top of the old Dogs Head down to Ape Canyon was probably an average of about a 30-35º slope with wide open and treeless terrain with a slight gully here and there.

As a side note, the Dogs Head was a bulge on the north side of the mountain. If you look at the famous video of the mountain blowing up, that is the feature that began sliding off seconds before the explosion. At the height of summer it would become snow free and was an amazing slope of nothing but very light weight pumice balls, terrible for climbing up but a joy to come down (but it sure did eat up a few boots).

Hello All,

I've been looking for a particular sighting/encounter. Perhaps you guys can help me.

I remember reading an account of a family that had a Bigfoot that was hanging around their home. If I remember correctly, there was a small boy that was "friends" with the creature to a degree, and there was a father that was abusive to the mother. The Bigfoot supposedly administered a "whoopin'" to the father after an incident of spousal abuse.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? Any help would be appreciated.

See

BF: Protecting mothers since 1976.