Night Vision- How Does Bigfoot See In The Dark?

When I first started the thread I thought bigfoot might be tetrachromatic or pentachromatic to account for the night vision but after reading everyone's articles, I don't think that's likely. Those that have extra cones usually don't see well in the dark unless they have an equal amount of rods. If you read the explanation on development in those articles it looks like you have a predetermined amount of cells, depending on when development occurs dictates what you end up with , rods vs cones. It doesn't look like the color vision has to much to do with it. Now there was one primate, the aye-ate, that could see colors at night.

So what do we have ?

Next Q is is it a case of larger eyes encompassing more light like a camera lens?

Is the vascillation(blood circulation) higher or increased and what affect does that have on the equipment ?

Is there another aspect to this we have not considered ?

It is interesting to see that whatever this spp is it sure does things differently than

we are accustomed to dealing with.

Many reports suggest that the vision must be incredible

judging by the difficult terrain that is often dealt with at high speed..

Now for the eye being big, just like the tarsiers, bush babies, and such it would allow more light into the eyeball. It would make sense for them to have large eyes, but if you look at the artwork done by several artists on what witnesses saw, their eyes do not look like that at all. They may have unusually large pupils and/or irises which give the impression that the eye is bigger, just like geo contacts do.

I don't think that the blood circulation in the eye would affect photography. To measure blood circulation in any mammal's eye you would have to use OCT. What would affect your photography is if there is a third eyelid similar to a nictitating membrane which would reflect light. Since I tend to lean towards bigfoot being somewhat aquatic I figure he probably has this. Marsupials, bears, and beavers have them.

Edited by Jodie

Now for the eye being big, just like the tarsiers, bush babies, and such it would allow more light into the eyeball. It would make sense for them to have large eyes, but if you look at the artwork done by several artists on what witnesses saw, their eyes do not look like that at all. They may have unusually large pupils and/or irises which give the impression that the eye is bigger, just like geo contacts do.

I don't think that the blood circulation in the eye would affect photography. To measure blood circulation in any mammal's eye you would have to use OCT. What would affect your photography is if there is a third eyelid similar to a nictitating membrane which would reflect light. Since I tend to lean towards bigfoot being somewhat aquatic I figure he probably has this. Marsupials, bears, and beavers have them.

Ooooooo! Ooooooo! Franticly waving hand in air!!!

:wub:

This might be a two-fer. If.....just if BF has that all important Nictitating membrane odds are he/she is nearsighted all to heck and back. Wouldn't that explain previously observed behaviors? Such as why did the BF stand along the road till the car went past? A: BF heard the car but had no idea which way it was comming from so just stood there till it was too late?

Uses trees as a shield while it peeks using piriferial (sp) vision to get a firm location on freaked out hiker? BF calmly goes about business not because it's unconcerned, but never actually saw the human in the first place?

How many times have you walked up behind a 'possum and it was clueless? Or sat still while that skunk waddled all over the campsite?

Jodie.....Thanks for kicking the other half of my brain into gear!

J, when I mentioned equipment, actually I was referring to the anatomy of the eye itself and not the reaction of an exposure from a possible photo from a camera of any sort. My pardon, I did too good a job in disguising my comment/Q. I have read before that its possible that the additional circulation regarding the membranes surrounding the eye or perhaps in the eye itself, may increase vision. I do not know that of course and I may even be misquoting the comments I read by Krantz in the past. Its certainly a mystery and regarding their tendencies to negotiate water, that is an interesting thought regarding eye structure. Many surprises for the future I am sure :)

Why would bf be "instantly blinded trying to see during the day."? Why would the guest say that? Because the night vision glasses that humans manufacture go bright when they are hit with light, like in the movies? Is that why they make this stuff up? I've heard people on the forum say this before. My goldfish does just fine in the daylight. He has IR vision.

I agree with bipedalist about bf seeing IR. I bet they hear or smell the camera and the rest is made up by people.

Hey I agree as well George, about BF not seeing in IR, but I'm willing to bet a tapetum is at play here. My two cents is they may hear the ultrasonic sound of the cameras.

Guest vilnoori

When I was a kid nightfall always seemed to come before I had quite finished my play and many a time I walked home in the dark on the trails on the hills. I don't know if it is because of the early practice I had but I have very good night vision now it seems to me. I suspect we all have much better night vision than we realize but that because a flashlight is always within reach we don't use it. I found that I could see very well except for moonless nights and that was only about 3 or 4 days a month. This was in a part of the world where there was no electric light of any kind except for what people could provide using a generator. LOL I remember coming home on those moonless nights almost by feel, using the trail in my mind rather than the trail before my eyes. And this ability must be something that everyone who lives without electric light has, including these beings of the forest. There are plenty of sightings of them during the day, but most of the sightings are during daybreak or twilight. If they are hunters they probably take a breather at the darkest part of the night and at the brightest part of the day, the same as their prey, and get active during prey foraging times.

Looking at the fossils it is interesting to compare relative orbit size in the craniums. I think H. erectus and especially H. ergaster has the largest eye orbits. Turkana Boy's are enormous! So are Skull KNM-ER 3733 and Peking Man's.

http://www.boneroom....ominidcasts.htm

Edited by vilnoori

• 2 weeks later...
BFF Patron
http://books.google....rimates&f=false

This chapter with special attention to p. 375, & 377, anybody got access to p. 376

Got a good used price on the book to add p. 376

Edited by bipedalist

Admin

What scientific evidence is there that Bigfoot has good night vision. I bet they get caught on barbed wire, fall down hillsides, trip over downed timber, slip on rocks and fall in rivers. Most night reports involve some man made light source, headlights, street lights, campfires, porch lights, etc. I would venture to say through the ions of Thier existence that they have developed eyes that allow them to see at night. But, the question is, how well can they see in total darkness? Nobody knows. B)

http://books.google.com/books?id=5fttVRAHA4MC&pg=PA375&lpg=PA375&dq=tapetum+lucidum+in+higher+primates&source=bl&ots=GXHjpQ7C8P&sig=JAgPJM_CkBS-HVsjn9J700pTDss&hl=en&ei=e5g9Ta26H4zQgAefu5mCCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=tapetum%20lucidum%20in%20higher%20primates&f=false

This chapter with special attention to p. 375, & 377, anybody got access to p. 376? suggests that an abundance of guanine crystals and rods can make alot of things happen. Also, if the BF has a specialized fovea such as they are using more peripheral mechanisms to get around the blinding scenario I think there are a lot of possibilities. That said, they ain't got horseshoe crab vision that's for sure. B) To make blanket statements that they have or don't have any particular physiological or anatomical processes that rule in or rule out anything is premature at this stage of knowledge I believe.

It will take a body being autopsied for the truth to be revealed, I believe.

http://books.google.com/books?id=5fttVRAHA4MC&pg=PA375&lpg=PA375&dq=tapetum+lucidum+in+higher+primates&source=bl&ots=GXHjpQ7C8P&sig=JAgPJM_CkBS-HVsjn9J700pTDss&hl=en&ei=e5g9Ta26H4zQgAefu5mCCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=tapetum%20lucidum%20in%20higher%20primates&f=false

This chapter with special attention to p. 375, & 377, anybody got access to p. 376? suggests that an abundance of guanine crystals and rods can make alot of things happen. Also, if the BF has a specialized fovea such as they are using more peripheral mechanisms to get around the blinding scenario I think there are a lot of possibilities. That said, they ain't got horseshoe crab vision that's for sure. B) To make blanket statements that they have or don't have any particular physiological or anatomical processes that rule in or rule out anything is premature at this stage of knowledge I believe.

It will take a body being autopsied for the truth to be revealed, I believe.

If they were that clumsy we would have either caught one by now or found the body post klutzing around in the woods with no light. Even with a full moon the tree cover is going to block most of that light. They either have descent night vision or some other form of sensing that enables them to get around better than we do in the dark. Yep, it will take a body to figure out how, but best guesstimates says it is similar to how other mammals have developed night vision.

Guest ajciani

First off, vilnoori is absolutely right about running around in the forest at night as a kid. I recall running around in the forest a lot at night. Flashlights were often unnecessary, except on the darkest nights. I mean, the vision wasn't perfect, and every now and then you would slap a twig with your face, but for just getting around, humans are almost there as is.

There are minor modifications to a human eye and minor changes in the brain which could allow humans to see at night like normal people see at twilight.

The first is the diameter of the pupil. Use a drug to dilate it from 7mm to 10mm, and the amount of light getting through doubles. If you want to simulate that, put yourself in a darkened room with a candle, and let your eyes adjust. Look at things on the walls and corners, with the candle in the middle of the room. Add a second candle next to the first, and try it again.

The second is how the brain processes low-light images. Low-light images are grainy, and so the human brain filters that graininess to black. Make everything dark, and you will see "snow". However, the correct wiring would lead to making sense of it, and that wiring may be normally present in other primates.

Now, adrenaline can cause both of these changes to occur. When defending your son from a wolf at night, you could easily go from barely seeing the wolf at the edge of the camp, to chasing it through the bush to beat its head in, because adrenaline and anger cause the pupils to over dilate and the brain to change its mode of operation. The wolf you couldn't see becomes the wolf that can't hide.

I've never been able to see in the dark like that, maybe it's just me, which is why I am thoroughly impressed by those of you that can, and bigfoot too, of course.

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

There's something different to the design of their eyes. I can attest that the creature's eyeshine I have witnessed was red. Humans don't have eyeshine. So, something about having red eyeshine has to make a difference in their night vision capabilities. (other color eyeshine has been reported too but I have only seen the red color myself) Some part of their eye reflects red. This has got to be the key.

Another thing that I find interesting. The creatures evidently can process visual information in fractions of a second. Like if one peeks at you from behind a tree or bush etc, the duration of the peek can be fractions of a second. I've noted personally that if I had been trying to capture a look at something from behind a bush or whatever, and raised my head up instantly, then instantly back down, I don't think I could process much information in that short amount of time. I think these creatures can. So, I think there's at least a couple of things working together with these creatures. One, their eyes have something that reflects light, and from my personal experience the eyeshine was red. Two, the creatures can evidently process alot of visual information in a very brief amount of time, more than a human anyway. I will be so glad when we know exactly how these creatures do what they do. Chris B.