Skookum Cast In A Nut Shell

Guest fenris

That swings dangerously close to calling a number of credentialed scientists a word that we are not allowed to use here...so I will simply say that their professional opinion does not match yours.

Let's get 9 wildlife biologists and Dr Meldrum show them the cast and not mention the B word and then tally the vote shall we?

Let's get 9 wildlife biologists and Dr Meldrum show them the cast and not mention the B word and then tally the vote shall we?

That's a bit disingenuous, suggesting that it's Meldrum on one side vs wildlife biologists on the other. The people consulted on the impression that shared his opinion that it was in fact NOT an elk lay were biologists, biomechanics experts and/or game workers with extensive skill and experience in wildlife sign.

I guess we really need a scale next to the photos of the cast to decide if an elk hindquarter fits the depression. Oh..........yeah, we then can say cow, calf, bull, whatever it takes to match the correct size.......hmmmmmmm. On second thought, we need to look for the elk tracks that would be present if an elk bedded down on the drying mud puddle often described as a wallow.

The impression that looks like a heel with a huge ( for a man ) Achilles tendon sure doesn't look like an elk leg to me. I've cut the legs off numerous elk and they don't have heels............hmmmmmm. Maybe we'll have to keep an open mind at least 'till we see better photos. Until then, I'll vote for sasquatch just 'cause he has heels ( if he exists that is ).

To quote Dr. Meldrum, "The Skookum cast has evoked tremendous interest largely due to its novelty---i.e., it's not just another set of footprints. However, it is likely to remain largely a moot point because its significance is only readily apparent to the highly specialized trained observer. To most onlookers it more resembles a piece of modern art that one might see hanging on the wall of a doctor's waiting room. But for a few careful observers, such as Dr. Swindler, it was the singular piece of evidence that decidedly tipped the scale of his considered opinion." (SASQUATCH: Legend Meets Science p. 113).

Take THAT all you NON-highly specialized trained observers, mere onlookers, and many uncareful observers who think ELK! :P

(By the way, the "highly specialized trained observer" and otherwise "careful observers" who actually discovered the "modern art" and decided it was a significant sasquatch find:

Leroy Fish, a wildlife ecologist.

Derek Randles, a landscape architect.

Richard Noll, an aerospace metrologist.)

The impression that looks like a heel with a huge ( for a man ) Achilles tendon sure doesn't look like an elk leg to me. I've cut the legs off numerous elk and they don't have heels............hmmmmmm. Maybe we'll have to keep an open mind at least 'till we see better photos. Until then, I'll vote for sasquatch just 'cause he has heels ( if he exists that is ).

The "heel" would be the knee of a resting elk, if the impression is indeed of an elk.

I would revise your otherwise excellent suggestion: Lets get 9 wildlife biologists and show them the cast and not mention the B word and then tally the vote shall we?

That's a bit disingenuous, suggesting that it's Meldrum on one side vs wildlife biologists on the other. The people consulted on the impression that shared his opinion that it was in fact NOT an elk lay were biologists, biomechanics experts and/or game workers with extensive skill and experience in wildlife sign.

Was not meant to be disingenuous. It was simply meant to say if you use non biased (pro or con) "experts" you get more non biased answers. In that case it would be 9-1.

I would revise your otherwise excellent suggestion: Lets get 9 wildlife biologists and show them the cast and not mention the B word and then tally the vote shall we?

Uhmmm..that's what I meant. 9-1

The "heel" would be the knee of a resting elk, if the impression is indeed of an elk.

Really?.........A heel has an Achilles tendon terminating to it. Elk legs are far different, they don't bend or work the same way. I admit the cast is a visual mess, but that doesn't give one license to invent new-age elk anatomy to support the conclusion. Here is one elk photo

post-754-056184200 1296098063_thumb.jpg

Other images of elk are posted here, scroll back up and also look at the other Skookum Cast post and check out the elk photos. You will see what I'm talking about. I really don't care what conclusion anybody comes to, but I wish they wouldn't invent stuff to shoot down the other position.

Really?.........A heel has an Achilles tendon terminating to it. Elk legs are far different, they don't bend or work the same way. I admit the cast is a visual mess, but that doesn't give one license to invent new-age elk anatomy to support the conclusion. Here is one elk photo

post-754-056184200 1296098063_thumb.jpg

Other images of elk are posted here, scroll back up and also look at the other Skookum Cast post and check out the elk photos. You will see what I'm talking about. I really don't care what conclusion anybody comes to, but I wish they wouldn't invent stuff to shoot down the other position.

True, a heel has an Achilles tendon terminating to it.

The point is that we cannot determine conclusively that the cast does show an Achilles heel. What it may show, one solution suggests, is the knee(s) of a reclining elk. This suggestion does not imply the invention of "new-age elk anatomy". Here is a helpful photo composition. Please show me where the alleged ape Achilles heel is located in the cast.

skookum2.jpg

Achilles tendon sure doesn't look like an elk leg to me.

Note the position of the alleged heel strike and how much of the achilles tendon is showing. Below in the same pic is how a leg would have to be positioned on the ground to make a similiar impression.

post-407-030265300 1296100323_thumb.jpg

Below is the position (legs bent) the alleged Sasquatch would have to have been in to make a heel strike that close to it's gluteus maximus.

Included in the pic is a foot in approximately the same position with an imaginary mud line in red.

post-407-066556400 1296100377_thumb.jpg

What I'm getting at is, there is no way that much of the achilles tendon could make an impression in that position without most of the foot included and there is also no way the Sasquatch could have made a heel strike with his leg flat to the ground for it to be in context with the rest of the impression either.

I've cut the legs off numerous elk and they don't have heels............hmmmmmm.

They have knees though.

post-407-036430200 1296100419_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I don't know why those pictures didn't show up after each block of text.

Edited by Tyinhell

• masterbarber locked this topic