Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Why Are Sightings So Scary?

56 posts in this topic

Just wondering about this.

For those who go out in search of, and those who have seen, heard, or smelled; what is it that is so scary?

I often wonder this myself. The only thing I can speak of as fact is my own experience. For me the scary part was the sheer size, and the one I saw wasn't all that big in comparison. But my sighting, and similar ones, do not last very long and are not very close, therefore the impact on the observer is probably not as great compared to a longer and closer viewing.

For those who never think about or believe in the animal to see one would probably have some psychological impact. Trying to process just what the thing is during the moment, and realizing that it must be a bigfoot, reveals to the person all at once that their belief about reality is in fact not the truth.

Also, people will become emotional because they realize that this animal could literally snap them in half had it had reason to...And the only reason it needs is that it "wants to", lol. You know they are the kings of the forest, and wonder how they remain hidden. There are many thoughts that would play through your head at the time. For me, since I knew what it was, I was making it a point to get as much detail as I could, all the while feeling lucky for catching the short glimpse that I did.

So if I had to pick a reason that applied to most people for why they are scared during a sighting, I would say it is mainly because they never knew that such a large animal has been around and undiscovered, in their view, for all this time. I suppose the fact that sasquatch look so human-like could be scary to some as well. This is just my opinion, which is not all that definitive, since I am not a psychiatrist or psychologist...At least to my knowledge I'm not. I do some strange things in my sleep sometimes, so I wouldn't put it past myself to have earned a degree in psychology in my sleep.

I just had a thought of us domesticating bigfoot...I pictured one sitting in a classroom, all scrunched up in a desk that's too small. That'll be the day. Maybe eventually their species and our species can co-exist in some fashion. I doubt they would want to live outside of the forest, but maybe they could learn English...Ya know, maybe borrow some garlic occasionally.

I always thought it was an instinctive reaction to both a creature we were never educated about in school, plus an older ''gut reaction'' to a competitor. The large size doesn't help, but it's more running into something totally inconcievable. It's like your eyes see it, but your brain flip-flops around trying to find a ''context'' for it.

Add all that to the fight or flight response and it's no wonder people are ''scrambled'' for awhile afterwards. ;)

My read is that most sighters were extreme scoftics until they had their sightings. When it happens to them, much depends (interesting choice of word there haha) on how flexible their minds are. Some go holy cow I was wrong, then rev it up and get back to life (or like more than one, become a researcher). Some have to sleep with every light in the house on and all the doors and windows locked and every TV set turned on for the next five years.

I wasn't scared at my sighting....I was stunned, but it was out on the side of the road and I was safe on a well populated tour bus. And it looked like a big muppet. I swear it did.

But IMO a large creature, larger than yourself, that looks a heck of a lot like a human but isn't. That is covered with freakin fur. Wow. Right there, go ahead and pee yourself, you've earned it.

Wow. Right there, go ahead and pee yourself, you've earned it.

OMG, that's a great line. Thanks for the morning laugh!!!

I haven't seen one yet, but only had audio enounters - wood knocks, whistling, branch snaps, unhappy vocalizations, etc.

But here's what i think. In addition to just being shocked silly when confronted with something that is simply not supposed to exist - and apparently DOES - that rocks your world, I wonder if it isn't more. Now that we know there is Neanderthal DNA in humans and human DNA in BF, it does make the predation theories stronger for sure. Maybe the fear of "monsters" really does have a foot in reality - in the past humans have been prey for much stronger, larger and hairier hominids. They have hunted us. Maybe our fear reaction is actually kind of an organic fear reaction that is in grained in our species now. "Monsters" exist and it's obvious that they've interacted with our species in not so joyful ways. I do wonder about the theory that HSS evolved more intellectually because our strength cannot match Neanderthal or bigfoot strength, so our defenses came from intelligence - in other words, interacting with them sharpened our intelligence and helped to make us who we are.

Edited by madison5716

The fact that they are not supposed to be real does add to the impact of a sighting. I already thought they were probably real, having read a lot of the bfro reports. It still freaks me out, however. The fact that it looks so human, but is so clearly very NOT, is really a big shock factor, I think. And it just looks dangerous.

I think Madison is on to it, there is a deep based instinctual reaction of fear, the body being told it better get that adrenaline working, there is a superior predator with a history of being aggressive nearby. Assuming they are not is dangerous think of the missing 411 books, as well as consider historically they are most likely hunters of us, even if they are not so bad in this age. It could be a pheromone triggered response, it could be linked with whatever the infra-sound phenomena is. Judging by the intensity of the fear, and the traumatizing effects it can have on people, my guess is definitively in the instinctual, hard wired theory.

This is a little trip I took in The Dismal Swamp yesterday, at this point I was tired, not really sure where I was exactly, and worried about making it out by dark.

I kept hearing something to my left, the wind was blowing so I couldn't hear well or where it was coming from or if it was anything

My list of worries...worst to least...

Black Panther

Wild Boar

Bear

Bigfoot

Now having only seen two of the four not sure what my reaction would be to Biggie, but the other three I'm certain if they were stalking me it would turn out poorly for me

I had pretty much freaked myself out by this point!

Edited by Cervelo

Cervelo - Take a close look behind the tree in 6 and 14 second mark.

WRT the original post, there is a little piece of your brain called the amygdala that automatically takes over he body when threatening things like an animal that can kill you in 1 second flat if it desires. What I don't get is that sensation when you are walking in the woods and all of a sudden, and for no appearent reason, you become terrorized. Has this happened it anybody else on this forum?

Nice catch NCBRR, total blob squatch, I will work on that later, that would be a hoot.

Huh no no no no.......I'm going to bed now with the lights on :(

k, this would be good enough for facebook Cervelo. Coned head, heavy brow, mean face,hairy.

another

one

they look way better bigger, but I cant seem to get them bigger on here

post-3077-0-31124300-1353895404.jpg

post-3077-0-07575200-1353895609.jpg

Edited by JohnC

If it is like seeing a Bear or Moose; then distance, attitude displayed by the animal, and capability of the firearm being carried, comes into play. Been there on those sometimes lethal animals, but not on a BF.

I wasn't scared at my sighting....I was stunned, but it was out on the side of the road and I was safe on a well populated tour bus. And it looked like a big muppet. I swear it did.

But IMO a large creature, larger than yourself, that looks a heck of a lot like a human but isn't. That is covered with freakin fur. Wow. Right there, go ahead and pee yourself, you've earned it.

You got that right, and your allowed to do a number 2 if your able lol

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0