Friend Or Foe?

Guest VioletX

Guest VioletX

I will try to pose this clearly, but I am all ready doubtful I will.

Some of the time I hear, particularly from habituators, that the Bigfoot's are benign, yet frequently you hear or see,(in a video), that a researcher is fearful or apprehensive.

So does a habituator encountering an unknown Bigfoot, maybe in a new location, feel fear?

Are we more likely projecting our fears on them?

Are they particularly hostile in certain areas, towards certain people?

Has anyone tried,when a Bigfoot is throwing rocks etc, to communicate that they mean no harm, maybe calling out to the Bigfoot,"Hello there Mr,(or Ms?), Bigfoot I am a nice person just hanging out in the forest ...", Or something like that ;0)

Just trying to explore what people think of the nature of Bigfoot.

Or could it be a culture or location thing, like people here in the DC area are unfriendly and distrustful of strangers compared to some southern parts.

Edited by VioletX

SSR Team

I think they're like all Animals, there's bad apples in every bunch.

Would i try to be peaceful to one who was throwing rocks at me and talk to it in English or project " positive thoughts " ?

No way in the world, i'd be on my toes in a way i saw fit in the circumstances. They're big, presumably bad if they want to be and we know nowhere near enough about them for me to be a Guniea Pig and try that sort of thing when they're around.

These things when Adults are big too, they could chew you up and spit you out if they wanted to, i'm 100% sure of that.

I'm not really scared of many things at all in a physical sense, but these things are top of the food chain which includes Humans, especially in Forests, and i do have a bit of an issue with that as i know my place and i know that my place, unlike in every day life, is NOT top of the food chain if i was near one again.

For a while now there has been this push to make Bigfoot sound like some flower child skipping through the woods with a daisy behind its ear, hugging trees, and petting bunnies.

If Bigfoot is out there - it's an animal not unlike any other animal. I agree with Bobby O - it will defend itself, when necessary. Why wouldn't it? The wilderness can be a brutal environment in which to survive. Attacking may not be its first instinct - but I am willing to bet it is a very real instinct if cornered, injured or angered.

In other words, I won't be trying to hug a bigfoot. But, others are welcome to try - let me know how that turns out for you :) LOL.

BFF Patron

And on the other hand there is an equal and opposite movement/push recently to make BF sound like "Jack the Ripper" and the responsible party for a ton of missing persons including children, hikers, etc. etc. Yet there are accounts of humane treatment of injured/lost children, medically impaired individuals and the like.

Truth would be somewhere in the middle like most things in Bigfooting.

Those of us who have personly observed and interacted with them are glad they are NOT like one type of animal, - modern humans. If they were, none of us would be around to discuss it. They don't kill for the "fun" of it.

• Upvote 3

Guest VioletX

Thanks for your replies so far guys.Sometimes I cannot respond as thoughtfully as I would like, I am distracted by having an early crawler who is busy getting into trouble.

Edited by VioletX

And on the other hand there is an equal and opposite movement/push recently to make BF sound like "Jack the Ripper" and the responsible party for a ton of missing persons including children, hikers, etc. etc. Yet there are accounts of humane treatment of injured/lost children, medically impaired individuals and the like.

Truth would be somewhere in the middle like most things in Bigfooting.

I agree with that Bipedalist. Why is it always the extremes? Oh wait - sensationalism.. I get it. :)

From the camp who believe BF to be people rather than an animal,,,,, my thoughts; they are for the most part very reserved and keeping us in the not-know seems paramount. I tend to aggree with BobbyO on the notion that there are "bad apples" or maybe it could be said that they all have different personalities. Could they hurt us if they wanted to? @ 9' and 700lbs and quite physically savy from wilderness living, my money would be on the squatch :) But for some reason, we don't hear of this happening. There have been stories of them being helpful....young girl lost in woods, "ape woman" found her and returned her to a tree near her home where the parents were able to find her......unconfirmed, but cool story

BFF Patron

Those of us who have personly observed and interacted with them are glad they are NOT like one type of animal, - modern humans. If they were, none of us would be around to discuss it. They don't kill for the "fun" of it.

True dat, but I wasn't sure about it initially and to think I was close enough to one to have been a possible statistic like in the Legend of Sleepy Hollow, hahah (counting my lucky stars right this second) but somehow they were only interested in counting coup that evening.

MOST of them don't, anyways.

MOST of them don't, anyways.

Yes, as I have read, some of them have killed (and injuried) some folks. The two reports I think may be credible, are the one in which trappers shot into a family group first, and the one in AR in which one of a group of men, who were chasing a single BF on horses and with dogs, was seriously injured by the animal. Are there more such credible cases that have been publicly reported? (The LBL case is interesting, and may be true, but not a lot of back-up data.)

(I've been working with a man here in the state that said he got back-handed and knocked over twenty feet by one of the tall, black, straigh-haired ones a couple of months ago, but no way i can confirm it.)

Guest MJ151

Branco, how do we know that some don't kill for fun? That's a pretty bold statement, to apply to ALL BF's. Not all humans kill for fun. Does it happen, you bet. I believe other animals may also kill for fun. We just don't know. We also have no real idea how many people may have been killed by a BF. Unless there is a witness to the act, the victim just disappears. As with anything I encounter in the wild, I don't assume it's benign, be it a bear, cougar, or Joe Blow. That is just me. People have been saved by common dogs and they have also been killed by the same.

Edited by MJ151

SSR Team

I'm with MJ, for Common Dog see Orca, Elephant and Bears.

I'm sure the list could be added to too.

Guest Hndrx

I grew up in the country on a farm. Anyone with that sort of exposure to wild animals can tell you that animals kill for fun all the time. Bigfoots, if intelligent, would vary a lot from individual to individual. (Just like higher animals and humans.) However, if they do exist, they would be predators and aggressive killers by nature because an animal of that size doesn't live by nibbling daisies in a scenic pasture. Most could be a real danger to humans in close encounters and some would not.