Why Do You Believe, Or Not Believe, In Bigfoot?

I appreciate your concern, I would be more frightened if it was a human, and it very well might be, so I'll take your advice and sheet up my windows. As I said, this stuff has been going on for a couple of years, I doubt it will come through the window tonight but if it does, it's really not going to like the alarms.

If it was a human, you probably would have been attacked by now. A human man would not do some of the stuff done unless he is trying to scare you for some reason. He is risking his life because someone can shoot a person who is threatening them. The Banging on your house out of all the others placed wall to wall beside you *scares* me for your wellbeing.I think that your neighbors would mention if someone banged on their houses. Please ask them if they have had any odd events, and see what they say. I think I friended you, so let's keep up with each other as time goes on.

Edited by Susiq2

I believe because my Uncle was a Log Trucker who lived in the Hoopa Valley from 1954 until the early 90's. He saw the 55 gal. drums of diesel fuel that were thrown off of the landing. The tracks, and the 2000 gal tank truck pushed sideways about 4-5 feet near Bluff Creek. He also told me of the fresh tracks he and and my Cousin ( his son ) inspected, leading across a freshly harrowed field at the east end of the valley on the way to Burnt Ranch. They followed them into the woods bordering the field until they faded into the timber.He was a very pragmatic and honest man. I never knew of him exaggerating, or embellishing on any subject.

And as stated previously, there are too many accounts by very credible people on record to just brush the sightings off.

I have spent a good portion of my 61 years exploring, hunting and hiking in the Central Cascades. I've never seen tangible evidence, but have had a couple of unexplainable incidents that made me become very aware that there is something out there besides the known and recognized critters.

DB, Do you go armed when out in the woods? You know that they (BF) exist. People do go missing while hiking, or camping alone in the woodlands in secluded areas. With the world like it is today, if we went camping in a secluded area, I'd carry a powerful weapon, and I'm a female, but I'd be packing a loaded weapon. Trying to load a gun while frightened can be difficult to do, so I'd be prepared.

What do you do for safety, do you pack a gun, a hunting knife, or just depend on your abilities as a man to save yourself?(which is what my hubby would do)

The human. What to do?

Go to your local gun shop and buy a 12 gauge shotgun, short barrel, pump action. Get a few boxes of different ammo shells for it. I recommend you get: one box of mixed ball shells (4 x 32 ca + 6 x 20 ca), 00' buck shells and a box of slugs. Don't worry about the technical details of the shells, the guys at the shop will know what you mean. Load your shotgun with one of each in the order listed above in a cycle.

Shoot first, ask questions later. You are a woman and any circumstance that requires you to use the shotgun will most likely be self-defense in the eyes of any jury. God help the poor *******... :)

Now you are a man after my own heart. Shoot first, ask questions later when someone is coming in the window, or shoot into the air if they are banging on the house. I do not think that anybody would charge you for doing any of that when a person is truly in fear for their lives.

I dont believe simply because I do not think there is enough evidence of existence.

Even tho I have never actually seen a BF, I trust numerous reports made by responsible and reliable people such as police officers, game wardens, and military members who have encountered it while training out in the field, and don't forget just regular people who have had encounters.

In my humble opinion there is way too much smoke for there not to be a fire.

These are the reasons that I believe a Bigfoot type creature/great ape is living and running wild all around the world.

Edited by Susiq2

Guest Lesmore

Do I or don't I ?

Dunno know. It's not a cut and dried answer.

I've been following the BF question for over 40 years.

I attended the Patterson/Gimlin presentation and screening of the original film, some 40 odd years ago. Mr. Patterson was convincing and I saw the film up close...I was parked in front of the film screen at our local Civic Auditorium where the presentation took place. This was 40 odd years ago.

I don't know what I saw on the screen that day. It certainly opened my mind and listening to Roger Patterson was extremely interesting. I recall, he was not a dramatic speaker, but a straight forward presenter, who was very convincing.

This presentation really piqued my interest.

Since then I've followed, read about, been out and about, in different forests, always keeping an ear open and an eye peeled, for whatever I might chance upon.

The PNW get's most of the attention and I can understand why...lot's of reports, lot's of deep, dense forests.

But in my province there have been some very interesting reports, over the years, that easily rival anything from the Canadian and American PNW area.

In the end, there has been no credible proof, evidence that I feel is substantial enough to warrant a confirmation that BF exists, ever has existed.

But even though I'm a cynic...I also believe in keeping an open mind. One never knows.

Edited by Lesmore

Guest D B Cooper

DB, Do you go armed when out in the woods? You know that they (BF) exist. People do go missing while hiking, or camping alone in the woodlands in secluded areas. With the world like it is today, if we went camping in a secluded area, I'd carry a powerful weapon, and I'm a female, but I'd be packing a loaded weapon. Trying to load a gun while frightened can be difficult to do, so I'd be prepared.

What do you do for safety, do you pack a gun, a hunting knife, or just depend on your abilities as a man to save yourself?(which is what my hubby would do)

I was born and raised in a lumber camp 25 miles from the nearest town. The only place we had to play was in the woods and never thought twice about any danger, although my Dad taught us how to bluff a bear just in case. I've never gone into the mountains unarmed as an adult under any circumstance. I always take a rifle large enough to get the job done, as well as a large bore handgun.

I'm not afraid of Bigfoot as much as sneaky Cougars and the two legged Meth Snakes, who use some of the interconnecting logging roads to transport their wares from one town to another. In the spring and summer, you never know when you might run into a grow with the growers present. A friend ( retired county corrections officer ) walked into one and actually had to draw his handgun in order to "persude" his way out. They followed him back into the small community near bye , but thought better of it when he pulled up next to a State Trooper.

My wife used to kid me about taking a gun fishing, until a local man was found robbed and murdered about 1/2 mile from where we like to fish. Now she asks if I brought a gun everytime we go out.

IMO, going into any secluded area without a good knife and a firearm is very foolish.

Edited by D B Cooper

I was born and raised in a lumber camp 25 miles from the nearest town. The only place we had to play was in the woods and never thought twice about any danger, although my Dad taught us how to bluff a bear just in case. I've never gone into the mountains unarmed as an adult under any circumstance. I always take a rifle large enough to get the job done, as well as a large bore handgun.

I'm not afraid of Bigfoot as much as sneaky Cougars and the two legged Meth Snakes, who use some of the interconnecting logging roads to transport their wares from one town to another. In the spring and summer, you never know when you might run into a grow with the growers present. A friend ( retired county corrections officer ) walked into one and actually had to draw his handgun in order to "persude" his way out. They followed him back into the small community near bye , but thought better of it when he pulled up next to a State Trooper.

My wife used to kid me about taking a gun fishing, until a local man was found robbed and murdered about 1/2 mile from where we like to fish. Now she asks if I brought a gun everytime we go out.

IMO, going into any secluded area without a good knife and a firearm is very foolish.

Finally, A man who has a whole lot of common sense. My hubby seems to live in an alternate universe from the one I occupy. Now, my son Justin, an army officer, is another situation. He only carries a huge hunting knife. I've tried to explain it's better to deal with a problem at a *distance* than close up. He just smiles at me, and I think he just does not understand that the war zone he was in in Iraq was no more dangerous than the deep woods can be.He carried military weapons there. If I could get one, that's what I would carry.It just so happens, I'm the best shot in the family, but last time I went up against my soldier son, he did out shoot me at Holiday World. I was so proud of him! He takes after his momma :D

Do I or don't I ?

I attended the Patterson/Gimlin presentation and screening of the original film, some 40 odd years ago. Mr. Patterson was convincing and I saw the film up close...I was parked in front of the film screen at our local Civic Auditorium where the presentation took place. This was 40 odd years ago.

I don't know what I saw on the screen that day. It certainly opened my mind and listening to Roger Patterson was extremely interesting. I recall, he was not a dramatic speaker, but a straight forward presenter, who was very convincing.

Since then I've followed, read about, been out and about, in different forests, always keeping an ear open and an eye peeled, for whatever I might chance upon.

The PNW get's most of the attention and I can understand why...lot's of reports, lot's of deep, dense forests.

But in my province there have been some very interesting reports, over the years, that easily rival anything from the Canadian and American PNW area.

In the end, there has been no credible proof, evidence that I feel is substantial enough to warrant a confirmation that BF exists, ever has existed.

But even though I'm a cynic...I also believe in keeping an open mind. One never knows.

Lesmore, I can certainly respect that opinion. You would prefer to see one either captured, or killed and displayed.

I'm of the opinion that there is so much smoke from credible respected authority figures, that there has to be *something* on fire that hides itself very well in deep forests, around the entire earth. I first heard about the white ice ape,The Yettie, then the PG film, then one night on Johnny Carson a lady came on who had been in a camper with a film crew doing a commercial shoot. Their camp was invaded by a BF during the night. That woman was terrified. After hearing so many different accounts of the essentially the same creature, except for some color differences,plus film and pictures, I started believing. In my opinion, there is Too Much Smoke for there not to be a fire somewhere. :blink: However, I'm scared too death of ever seeing it in person. I'd drop dead from fear I think unless I was with well armed family members.Yikes!

Do I or don't I ?

I forgot! I also wish I could have seen the PG film in person. I've only seen it on TV, which is better then never seeing it at all. Do you feel like discussing the film, and what it was like to be one of the first people to see it? How did the audience react?

Guest Lesmore

Lesmore, I can certainly respect that opinion. You would prefer to see one either captured, or killed and displayed.I would prefer to see one captured, examined....then released...not killed if possible.

I'm of the opinion that there is so much smoke from credible respected authority figures, that there has to be *something* on fire that hides itself very well in deep forests, around the entire earth. I first heard about the white ice ape,The Yettie, then the PG film, then one night on Johnny Carson a lady came on who had been in a camper with a film crew doing a commercial shoot. Their camp was invaded by a BF during the night. That woman was terrified. After hearing so many different accounts of the essentially the same creature, except for some color differences,plus film and pictures, I started believing. In my opinion, there is Too Much Smoke for there not to be a fire somewhere. :blink: However, I'm scared too death of ever seeing it in person. I'd drop dead from fear I think unless I was with well armed family members.Yikes!

In Canada, we aren't able to carry firearms out in the bush, unless one has a firearm license. I don't have one, but my son does.

If I'm out in the woods for any length of time I carry bear spray and a Buck 119 Special, hunting knife.

So far in 50 odd years I've been ok, never been in danger. My son was once when camping in the boondocks and had to use Bear spray on a Black bear.

I don't care for bears, which we have many . They are Black bears.

We also have one of world's largest populations of Polar Bears, but only in the extreme north of my province. I would definitely get a firearm license and a formidable rifle, if I was up north.

We have the odd Cougar and I have a distrust and fear of these elusive, but dangerous animals.

We also have a good chunk of Timber Wolves, but generally they keep away from man. I've only seen a few wolves in the wilderness, but I have the uneasy feeling that they have seen me without my knowledge. Very intelligent animals, perhaps the most intelligent wild animal in Canada. Not just my opinion, but a trapper with 40 + years of trapping and observing wild animals.

I find my native country absolutely beautiful, astounding in it's size, it's amount of deep, dense forests, the number of lakes, rivers, etc...it's relatively small population to physical size.

I've flown in bush planes (known as float planes in the USA, I believe) over parts of the Canadian Shield, the Boreal Forest....for hours and hours...over forested areas with no roads, no or very few people.

BF could exist in these seemingly non ending forests...but still no proof, no to my knowledge reports of BF, spotted as low flying bush planes fly over.

I dunno.

Les

Edited by Lesmore

Susiq2: Nice to meet you. This is a neat thread !!

The continued logged experience(s) we pursue and compare with others

who have claims provides us with some insight after review. Luckily, I have

been fortunate enough to travel and visit locations that have a history of reports

and observations. So between that and some of my experiences I conclude that I am

in no position to tell the large number of people I have communicated with that they

in no way saw what they claimed they did. Instead, I would prefer to continue

to look for tracks, record unknown vocals, and see fieldsign that matches with what others

report. Regarding the direction of this thread, my answer is because it makes sense to me. It would

be a lot easier to explain this forum with a population of unknown giant primates than it would

be to explain it with anything else that makes as much sense. Regarding the need that most

have to have (body) nature explains that. It is unusual that we do not have publicly a verification

in that form, but I do wonder if politics has a bit to do with that.

Les, I tend to go with the pepper spray but it depends on the location. If a gun is needed, a gun is

needed. Particularly if there is a danger both man and beast. In my case the beast being cougar, but

the chance is very low. But still... we know statisticians can be very lenient with the lives of OTHER people.

Edited by treeknocker

Guest Lesmore

I forgot! I also wish I could have seen the PG film in person. I've only seen it on TV, which is better then never seeing it at all. Do you feel like discussing the film, and what it was like to be one of the first people to see it? How did the audience react?

I was a young man of about 18 +/- ...so long ago, I can't recall my exact age. Now I'm in my early 60's.

The audience was mostly male...ranging from around 14-15 to older men in their 60's and all ages in between. Many of them seemed outdoors type of guys. I recall my friend and I raced to get seats in front of the screen...we were there particularly to see the film. He was the same age...still my best friend after so many years.

The screen was large, think it unrolled and was supported from the ceiling...not a stand up film screen that people used to use with slide projectors and of course much bigger.

The presentation took place at the Civic Auditorium, which was good sized and I remember the auditorium was full...not standing room only...but pretty well all the seats and there were many, were occupied. It was in my home city in Western Canada and the population then would of been 600,000 +, I'm thinking.

I recall that Mr. Patterson seemed to do most of the talking and after a brief introduction started the film.

When people entered the auditorium the crowd was noisy, but in a good humoured way....I recall hearing some lowered voices talking about how they thought this was going to be fun....it seemed that a number expected that they were going to see a man in a gorilla suit in the film. I think a lot of the audience didn't take it too seriously, I know my buddy and I didn't.

I believe this must of been the original film or at least would of been one of the first copies, as the presentation was done not too long after the incident. I think Messrs Patterson and Gimlin did a Western tour...throughout different western provinces and states.

The film ran...my buddy and I watched it intently, remember we were very close to the screen...front row centre.

I saw BF moving across the screen...turning...looking back. I don't know what it was to this day. It didn't look like a man in a gorilla suit I remember thinking.

I suppose the audience reacted similarly to me...they got very quiet.

After the film, Mr. Patterson did a lot of the talking and mostly did a question and answer session. I recall that I was a bit surprised that none of the questions were cynical. The mood had changed, people were quiet, serious, asked very serious questions.

I would say they also were unsure of what they saw, as I was.

The two presenters (P/G) were dressed in western working garb. I recall cowboy boots, jeans, checkered work shirts. Which didn't surprise me,as I understand they were ranchers or ranch workers.

Mr. Patterson's presentation style was straightforward, clear, didn't embellish anything, made no claims. He was very credible to me and even then, I was cynical.

When the audience was leaving they were very quiet, quite unlike they were when they entered the auditorium.

Being there at the P/G presentation, being one of the first to see the film, seeing Mr.'s Patterson and Gimlin presentation and film, has been something that has remained with me, something I recall very clearly after such a passage of time. It did have an effect on me and it appeared to have an affect on a number of others, there, that day.

Edited by Lesmore

In Canada, we aren't able to carry firearms out in the bush, unless one has a firearm license. I don't have one, but my son does.

If I'm out in the woods for any length of time I carry bear spray and a Buck 119 Special, hunting knife.

So far in 50 odd years I've been ok, never been in danger. My son was once when camping in the boondocks and had to use Bear spray on a Black bear.

I don't care for bears, which we have many . They are Black bears.

We also have one of world's largest populations of Polar Bears, but only in the extreme north of my province. I would definitely get a firearm license and a formidable rifle, if I was up north.

We have the odd Cougar and I have a distrust and fear of these elusive, but dangerous animals.

We also have a good chunk of Timber Wolves, but generally they keep away from man. I've only seen a few wolves in the wilderness, but I have the uneasy feeling that they have seen me without my knowledge. Very intelligent animals, perhaps the most intelligent wild animal in Canada. Not just my opinion, but a trapper with 40 + years of trapping and observing wild animals.

I find my native country absolutely beautiful, astounding in it's size, it's amount of deep, dense forests, the number of lakes, rivers, etc...it's relatively small population to physical size.

I've flown in bush planes (known as float planes in the USA, I believe) over parts of the Canadian Shield, the Boreal Forest....for hours and hours...over forested areas with no roads, no or very few people.

BF could exist in these seemingly non ending forests...but still no proof, no to my knowledge reports of BF, spotted as low flying bush planes fly over.

I dunno.

Les

Oh, Lesmore, I'm so sorry! I did not mean that you (nor me either) wanted a BF killed, I just think that someone may be attacked and BF will be shot and possibly killed by the hunters in either self defense, or out of fear of being attacked. Some people have had terrifying encounters with Bigfoot, and I believe that if they had had weapons they would have shot at it, or into the air(That's what I'd do)to scare it away.

I also know that BF has been caught in traffic, and was hit by a car, but no body could be found so it must have survived the incident. The bloody Bigfoot was tracked, but they lost the scent.

The best thing would be a normal death and the body being discovered.Most animals seek shelter when dying, I assume BF would also. It will be pure luck to discover a body.

I think that a little magic about our world will be lost on that day.

Guest Lesmore

Oh, Lesmore, I'm so sorry! I did not mean that you (nor me either) wanted a BF killed, I just think that someone may be attacked and BF will be shot and possibly killed by the hunters in either self defense, or out of fear of being attacked. No I didn't think you wanted to see a BF killed, not at all....my response was just a general answer.Some people have had terrifying encounters with Bigfoot, and I believe that if they had had weapons they would have shot at it, or into the air(That's what I'd do)to scare it away.

I also know that BF has been caught in traffic, and was hit by a car, but no body could be found so it must have survived the incident. The bloody Bigfoot was tracked, but they lost the scent.

The best thing would be a normal death and the body being discovered.Most animals seek shelter when dying, I assume BF would also. It will be pure luck to discover a body.

I think that a little magic about our world will be lost on that day.

I agree... a normal death and then a find, before too much decomposition set in, would be good.

Mount some fake cameras or some flood lights, we call that "bigfoot repellant" and it seems to work well for some.

:D

I used to believe something extra ordinary was out there waiting to be found.

These days, I'm not so sure.

Nothing would make me happier to be proven wrong though. My interest is still strong, and I still enjoy reading the latest sighting reports and interacting with the great folks I've met on the forums over the years, living vicariously through their adventures in the woods.

I think my interest will always be there, because I love a good mystery, and this one just happens to be my favorite.

If only I had the same love for the evidence presented so far............... ;)

• masterbarber locked this topic