Why Do You Believe, Or Not Believe, In Bigfoot?

Even tho I have never actually seen a BF, I trust numerous reports made by responsible and reliable people such as police officers, game wardens, and military members who have encountered it while training out in the field, and don't forget just regular people who have had encounters.

In my humble opinion there is way too much smoke for there not to be a fire.

These are the reasons that I believe a Bigfoot type creature/great ape is living and running wild all around the world.

I don't believe in UFO's, ghosts or other paranormal "entities" even though others claim there are numerous reports made by responsible and reliable people (my wife and one daughter swear they have seen a ghost).

The difference between you and I is simply what we consider proof.

I am open minded, but have simply reached a different conclusion then you have after reviewing what is probably similar evidence.

I also came to the conclusion long ago that I do not know everything (not implying you do). This means that often I must be content with the answer I don't know when pressed for a specific answer.

I can't remember the exact quote or who said it, but it went something like this.

Scientist makes a great discovery.

Reporter asks him what this discovery means to his understanding of the universe.

Scientist replies "I am as confused as ever, but at least now I am confused on a higher level"

This reminds me of how Sasquatch research has progressed over the last 50 - 60 years

There were some very interesting replies so far and some were kind of scary. I am kind of jealous of those who have seen it. I have been interested in Bigfoot since at least 1968 or so.

I guess I don't like the word "believe" very much because I am a scientist so I feel like I have to deal in evidence and probabilities. I realize that it is almost impossible to prove a negative but if there was a way that you could find out the absolute truth and I found out that there was no bigfoot, that all of the evidence that I am aware of was fake, it would be a tramatic shock to me. I would probably question a great deal that I take for granted as being almost certainly true.

I have been nurturing an interest in bigfoot since at least the late 1960s. I read every book about science that was in our public library and I read the ones about bigfoot as well. I found the writings of Sanderson and Byrne to be very compelling. John Green provided a long list of consistent reports. I learned about native american myths and legends as well as totems, carvings, and other artifacts that were consistent with a real creature. I have talked with a Lakota girl that I worked with from Standing Rock Indian Reservation who was sure they were real and she said she heard it one night during a time when there were a great number of sightings there. I knew a guy named Locken in the Army who was like a modern mountain man and he told me of some tracks that he saw in Idaho. I have talked to a few others that related stories that were also interesting but I was never an interviewer of witnesses.

The footprint evidence is really in a category by itself in my opinion. It is so widespread in location and time. Growing up in South Dakota, I spent a gret deal of time in the woods. I was at best an amateur tracker but I often followed animals for miles. The difficulty in faking tracks, at least some of the trackways described by some would be next to impossible yet there was a consistency to them that seemed realistic.

Some of the newer books have also included consistent and additional evidence. There is no string of evidence that can stand by itself but for me the most interesting are the reported sightings. I have to be skeptical of each and every one of them but as a whole they are compelling, consistent, and realistic. They don't often seem to be made up but sometimes they do but that is to be expected. For me, the evidence was at first interesting but over time, became greater and greater to the point where it would be difficult to explain as a hoax. As difficult as it is, it is easier to explain a real creature.

My brother and I were very very close to where the Patterson film was made probably in the late 1980s but I remember it so well. We camped on the side of the road and we were obviously the first vehicle to go down there that season because we had to move a lot of debris and rocks. It wasn't our first bigfoot trip but it was one where we heard and smelled things. I think Bob was less at ease than I was. Anyway, that night when we were asleep, a mouse climbed into Bob's sleeping bag and bit his index finger. It was very very dark in the woods there. Bob let out a scream of pain and I got up and shined a flashlight that was rapidly dimming and I saw Bob jump up and stomp after the mouse saying it bit him. I had a good laugh and I think Bob was convinced he had discouraged the mouse so we got back in our bags to go to sleep. It wasn't more than a minute when I heard something walking on the road. I told Bob to be quiet (not that he wasn't) and we listened to this thing walking down the road toward us. It is the trail right above where the Patterson film was shot. Believe me, I was well aware that we just made a bunch of noise and it seemed strange that this thing ws so close and that it so quickly approached us. I didn't know what it was or what to think. I don't know if you have ever been around heavy equipment but when a large tire rolls in the dirt, this is what the thing approaching us sounded like during each step. It had a cadence like a human's but a longer time between steps. As it got closer, you could literally hear the deep and buried gravel in the packed dirt road grinding under each step as the foot rolled along. This gave an impression of immense weight and I soon became afraid but I laid there still and listening. This thing kept coming down the road and I expected it to appear at any moment even though it was quite dark because it was so loud that it really seemed to be just 20 feet away and it should appear out of the darkness any second and it still got louder. I wish we didn't but we both couldn't take it any more and we simultaneously and without a word jumped into the car and sped off. Since the sound was so clear and the steps so even in cadence it really seemed to be walking on two legs. I really don't think a bear could sound like that at all. It wasn't a person. For me and I think for Bob, it was very compelling evidence. I became very convinced that its foot was flexible because the rolling motion was so obvious in the sound that it made. The steps were so smooth and heavy. As bigfoot encounters go, I think ours was indeterminant and not very useful for evidence but just going out and looking gives you the knowledge of how easy it would be for them to hide if they really wanted to.

It is hard to believe that a body hasn't yet been presented for science but it seems bigfoot have been very lucky and very elusive.

Jim, I for one, sure enjoyed your experience description. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

The feeling of being approached is somewhat stressful to me. I had three experiences the past year & the last time I did not hear about it.. until the next day. One of my field partners was listening to two individuals approaching with a microphone and headset of earphones. My other field partner and I were quite pleased because of some responses we had gotten to our sound relays that we provided that summer night. The next morning I found out that

the other man in our group was sitting with piloerection and quite ready to leave. Asking him about the future, if that happens again, he said we will stay through it next time to see what happens. We left the scene simply for safety reasons and it did not have anything to do with something approaching... it had to do with sleep deprevation. Or so he said, I guess we will see lol. In another what appeared to be a close possibility, I had some kind of electrical experience in my body.. now whether that was nerves, a reaction from some sort of chemical exchange, or psyche I do not know. I do know it was an uncomfortable situation because something snapped a piece of wood so it was as loud as a firecracker. In addition to that there two other people involved and they were froze in their tracks along with a guard dog. That was one of the first times I just froze in my tracks. Never had that happen since or before that. Where I was, the family had at least 9 observations of something large and hair covered and there were track sets there. So I am very suspicious of what I encountered that morning. Regarding doing an active search in the brush and forest, I should have but I did not. My usual care free attitude that I usually take with me everywhere seemed to be gone.

Edited by treeknocker

To everyone who says they believe simply because a bunch of "credible" people have had sightings...if 100 years from now that is still all there is, with zero evidence of an actual creature, would you still believe?

To everyone who says they believe simply because a bunch of "credible" people have had sightings...if 100 years from now that is still all there is, with zero evidence of an actual creature, would you still believe?

Then it becomes harder :). I would hope that people can talk to other people and execute some of the techniques used to

experience things for themselves.. once the observations come, you know. To get to that point, it is not easy, if it was, it would not be an issue. Yet for people in the habitat in concentrated areas or areas where there is a history of repeated activity, well then, not as hard, inevitably someone in the research party has something happen. If not, move and find a place with better activity. Also I think zero evidence should be defined. If it includes everything to date and only includes a body, then 100 years from now, that is a slam. Different people, different definitions.

I don't believe in UFO's, ghosts or other paranormal "entities" even though others claim there are numerous reports made by responsible and reliable people (my wife and one daughter swear they have seen a ghost).

The difference between you and I is simply what we consider proof.

I am open minded, but have simply reached a different conclusion then you have after reviewing what is probably similar evidence.

I also came to the conclusion long ago that I do not know everything (not implying you do). This means that often I must be content with the answer I don't know when pressed for a specific answer.

MagniAesir, Well, I am so thankful that I believe that we are adults who can believe what we choose to believe and what we wish to believe, and I totally understand where you are coming from. My hubby feels exactly as you do. He will have to see a BF up close to believe! :o ..We have a wonderful country, don't we? I have to smile about the UFO mention in your post. My sister and I had a close encounter with a flying saucer. Scared the life out of us to see it, especially so close up. I cannot tell you what they are, or where they come from, but I know that the one UFO I saw does exist.Yikes! As to Bigfoot, there is too much smoke for there not to be fire in my very humble opinion, and that is why I believe.

People feel so strongly about their opinions, and that is why I love this forum. :D We can all have different opinions, but still be friendly and positive towards one another, and have fun visiting with each other here.

Guest D B Cooper

I never speak in "absolutes". Mainly because in my experience people who do, are often absolutely wrong. I don't know if BF exists or not, but I tend to believe people of credibility until I know otherwise for a fact. If, in 100 years, it's existence hasn't been proven? It won't make a dimes worth of difference to anyone here anyway. If someone wants to believe in Leprechauns with Polka Dot boxer shorts, what is the harm? It doesn't hurt anyone.

I have a close friend who has a propencity for calling people out when they say something that he either doesn't agree with, or doesn't believe. A rather irritating trait, IMO. I tend to let people say what they believe, or think, and add a "grain of salt" if I don't agree with them or believe them. Speaking out only when it may be an immediately harmful or hurtful statement.

I will continue to believe that it is possible that BF does exist, and I will continue to believe "credible" people. If they are wrong, no harm done. If they are proven right, then the "absolutists" will have to shift their denial to Leprechauns with Polka Dot boxer shorts.

In the meantime, until BF's existence is disproven. It doesn't hurt anything or anyone and fuels the imagination, and the hope that there is something remaining to be discovered and / or seen.

Edited by D B Cooper
  • Upvote 1

I never speak in "absolutes". Mainly because in my experience people who do, are often absolutely wrong. I don't know if BF exists or not, but I tend to believe people of credibility until I know otherwise for a fact. If, in 100 years, it's existence hasn't been proven? It won't make a dimes worth of difference to anyone here anyway. If someone wants to believe in Leprechauns with Polka Dot boxer shorts, what is the harm? It doesn't hurt anyone.

I have a close friend who has a propencity for calling people out when they say something that he either doesn't agree with, or doesn't believe. A rather irritating trait, IMO. I tend to let people say what they believe, or think, and add a "grain of salt" if I don't agree with them or believe them. Speaking out only when it may be an immediately harmful or hurtful statement.

I will continue to believe that it is possible that BF does exist, and I will continue to believe "credible" people. If they are wrong, no harm done. If they are proven right, then the "absolutists" will have to shift their denial to Leprechauns with Polka Dot boxer shorts.

In the meantime, until BF's existence is disproven. It doesn't hurt anything or anyone and fuels the imagination, and the hope that there is something remaining to be discovered and / or seen.

To DB Cooper, I believe on the day that BF is truly revealed by either a discovered body, or killed by a car or hunters (probably in self defense), the world will lose a little bit of it's magic, also the discovery may create fear in the general population! :unsure:

I suspect for a while people may fear going hiking or camping if they are positive that a Bigfoot type creature truly does exist, but I imagine that after a while everything will pretty much return to normal.

Guest D B Cooper

To DB Cooper, I believe on the day that BF is truly revealed by either a discovered body, or killed by a car or hunters (probably in self defense), the world will lose a little bit of it's magic, also the discovery may create fear in the general population! :unsure:

I suspect for a while people may fear going hiking or camping if they are positive that a Bigfoot type creature truly does exist, but I imagine that after a while everything will pretty much return to normal.

I sincerely hope that it doesn't take a death to prove their being. Although I've stated previously that I carry firearms when in the mountains. I would never shoot one to prove anything to anyone, and only in imminent self-defence. Just the clear and unquestionable sighting would be all of the proof I need for myself. As long as I knew, I don't care who would question my word, and have no need to prove it to anyone.

I feel that if their existence were ever actually proven without question. It would be a let down, and every Yahoo with a gun would be out hunting for them. I kind of like the "Will of the Wisp" speculation aspect of their existence. It adds a sense of adventure to being up in the woods, and hoping that just around the next tree, or on the next trail...

Guest Rick1901

There are alot of things out there that we have no clue about!!! I know that Bigfoot exist

:D

I used to believe something extra ordinary was out there waiting to be found.

These days, I'm not so sure.

Nothing would make me happier to be proven wrong though. My interest is still strong, and I still enjoy reading the latest sighting reports and interacting with the great folks I've met on the forums over the years, living vicariously through their adventures in the woods.

I think my interest will always be there, because I love a good mystery, and this one just happens to be my favorite.

If only I had the same love for the evidence presented so far............... ;)

Updating things, that were on the old 'forum.' -Yes, I 'have' to believe. Because, coming across the giants in the Princeton, British Columbia, area, in 1974 and 1985 -- it could be no other thing. Each of the two forest giants were approximately 8 feet, and maybe...600 pounds. (One at each encounter.) In '74, we startled the creature -- and I stood in those tracks. In '85, I watched the breath come off the animal, and watched it shuffle it's weight nervously from foot to foot. (In both cases, we saw major intelligence in these giants.)

Concerning other things -- it is not the Sasquatch/Bigfoot that I really fear. (It is man!) We have been renting the fire lookouts in Montana, Idaho, and Oregon, for over ten years now. Coming from Canada, we are not allowed to bring across firearms. It would be nice to have them at these towers though. American friends have them. Hikers that have visited...have them. Other 'rental' users (some) have them. Man can't be trusted, although the bipedal giants are considered much 'wilder.'

I trust the Sasquatch over man...I'm afraid. (A no-brainer, really.)

lookoutman

Guest D B Cooper

Updating things, that were on the old 'forum.' -Yes, I 'have' to believe. Because, coming across the giants in the Princeton, British Columbia, area, in 1974 and 1985 -- it could be no other thing. Each of the two forest giants were approximately 8 feet, and maybe...600 pounds. (One at each encounter.) In '74, we startled the creature -- and I stood in those tracks. In '85, I watched the breath come off the animal, and watched it shuffle it's weight nervously from foot to foot. (In both cases, we saw major intelligence in these giants.)

Concerning other things -- it is not the Sasquatch/Bigfoot that I really fear. (It is man!) We have been renting the fire lookouts in Montana, Idaho, and Oregon, for over ten years now. Coming from Canada, we are not allowed to bring across firearms. It would be nice to have them at these towers though. American friends have them. Hikers that have visited...have them. Other 'rental' users (some) have them. Man can't be trusted, although the bipedal giants are considered much 'wilder.'

I trust the Sasquatch over man...I'm afraid. (A no-brainer, really.)

lookoutman

Lookout,

Sad but true, I have to agree whole heartedly. All in all, it's fairly safe in the mountains. Most of the "Belly-Crawler" element can't afford the transportation or gas to get up there. All things considered, possibly safer than being in civilization.

:D

I used to believe something extra ordinary was out there waiting to be found.

These days, I'm not so sure.

Nothing would make me happier to be proven wrong though. My interest is still strong, and I still enjoy reading the latest sighting reports and interacting with the great folks I've met on the forums over the years, living vicariously through their adventures in the woods.

I think my interest will always be there, because I love a good mystery, and this one just happens to be my favorite.

If only I had the same love for the evidence presented so far............... ;)

I will always be interested in BF, in fact, I will the magic of him when the species is discovered and documented.

• masterbarber locked this topic