Why Do You Believe, Or Not Believe, In Bigfoot?

Guest ThePattyArcade

Part of the fun of Sasquatch is the mystery of not knowing if they exist or not.

But I, personally, do believe that they are real. The evidence is just too great. I'd say that the Sasquatch is the cryptid with best chance of actually existing (compared with animals like the Chupacabras or Loch Ness monster)

Jim spoke of me being more nervous that day of our nighttime encounter. That is true but there were two things that made me nervous. One was finding a huge dropping in the middle of the road. It was shaped like a human's but very much larger. I think that would have been up closer to blue creak mountain. It looked like it was several months old. It is true that bears will eat a lot of grass when they first come out of hibernation so that could possibly explain why it was so much bigger and different than all the other bear scat. The idea of sleeping outside with whatever made that still made me nervous.

Probably several hours later, something happened that really freaked me out. Jim didn't really hear it because he was in the car parking. I jumped out to rush to the edge of the road with camera ready to look over the edge down the clearing. Something very large like an elk broke for cover directly down below me as I was approaching the edge. I reached the edge in less than a second and fully expected to see a large deer or elk 100 feet below bolting for cover like I have probably seen a thousand times before. There was nothing. It was absolutely silent with no place for it to even hide. The only trace of anything being there was faint musty smell. I just stood at the edge of the clearing and we both just slowly scanned the area with our eyes for about 5 minutes. Nothing moved and it was way too steep to climb down and I knew something large was on the side of the hill below us. I have never known a deer to act like that. That was going down the hill from Blue creek mountain and it was close enough to Louse Camp that I didn't want to camp there. I talked Jim into going up the road and we ended up actually very close to the PGF site. We thought at the time it was much closer to Notice creek probably because of the Peter Burns "map". You probably had to be there.

That evidence certainly wouldn't have been enough to convince me. The footsteps sure were though. I run that through my mind a lot but I don't have any good alternative explanations for what was so close to us in the middle of the night on that logging road that decided to walk up on us. We certainly could have come back the next day to look for footprints. I didn't really need validation at the time and wasn't really interested in taking a picture of footprints. That probably sounds a little strange. I wanted a very high resolution picture of a live animal and footprints weren't really on the agenda. That had been done many times. Twenty some odd years later, I wish I had because that would have pretty much removed any doubts in my mind. It would have made the story much harder for someone else to dismiss that doesn't know us. They would have to think we were liars rather than just probably not too bright. Doubt wasn't really an issue for me personally after that night. It is still there to some extent since I didn't see it so I don't know what the heck that huge thing actually was even though I am quite satisfied with Sasquatch, whatever that is, being the most logical explanation. A mystery still exists in my mind about why it approached us. I think it was the combination of me crying out in pain and anger and Jim laughing. I made quite a commotion stomping on the bushes. That was the night I was so nervous about whatever bolted earlier that I talked I talked Jim into sleeping with his shoes on. That is a pretty big no no in the Army but we weren't planning to do any long hikes. You want to keep those socks dry. It did allow us to escape in probably less than 5 seconds even counting throwing in the sleeping bags and starting the car.

Jim spoke of me being more nervous that day of our nighttime encounter. That is true but there were two things that made me nervous. One was finding a huge dropping in the middle of the road. It was shaped like a human's but very much larger. I think that would have been up closer to blue creak mountain. It looked like it was several months old. It is true that bears will eat a lot of grass when they first come out of hibernation so that could possibly explain why it was so much bigger and different than all the other bear scat. The idea of sleeping outside with whatever made that still made me nervous.

Probably several hours later, something happened that really freaked me out. Jim didn't really hear it because he was in the car parking. I jumped out to rush to the edge of the road with camera ready to look over the edge down the clearing. Something very large like an elk broke for cover directly down below me as I was approaching the edge. I reached the edge in less than a second and fully expected to see a large deer or elk 100 feet below bolting for cover like I have probably seen a thousand times before. There was nothing. It was absolutely silent with no place for it to even hide. The only trace of anything being there was faint musty smell. I just stood at the edge of the clearing and we both just slowly scanned the area with our eyes for about 5 minutes. Nothing moved and it was way too steep to climb down and I knew something large was on the side of the hill below us. I have never known a deer to act like that. That was going down the hill from Blue creek mountain and it was close enough to Louse Camp that I didn't want to camp there. I talked Jim into going up the road and we ended up actually very close to the PGF site. We thought at the time it was much closer to Notice creek probably because of the Peter Burns "map". You probably had to be there.

That evidence certainly wouldn't have been enough to convince me. The footsteps sure were though. I run that through my mind a lot but I don't have any good alternative explanations for what was so close to us in the middle of the night on that logging road that decided to walk up on us. We certainly could have come back the next day to look for footprints. I didn't really need validation at the time and wasn't really interested in taking a picture of footprints. That probably sounds a little strange. I wanted a very high resolution picture of a live animal and footprints weren't really on the agenda. That had been done many times. Twenty some odd years later, I wish I had because that would have pretty much removed any doubts in my mind. It would have made the story much harder for someone else to dismiss that doesn't know us. They would have to think we were liars rather than just probably not too bright. Doubt wasn't really an issue for me personally after that night. It is still there to some extent since I didn't see it so I don't know what the heck that huge thing actually was even though I am quite satisfied with Sasquatch, whatever that is, being the most logical explanation. A mystery still exists in my mind about why it approached us. I think it was the combination of me crying out in pain and anger and Jim laughing. I made quite a commotion stomping on the bushes. That was the night I was so nervous about whatever bolted earlier that I talked I talked Jim into sleeping with his shoes on. That is a pretty big no no in the Army but we weren't planning to do any long hikes. You want to keep those socks dry. It did allow us to escape in probably less than 5 seconds even counting throwing in the sleeping bags and starting the car.

OMG, You truly had a terrifying event. Having just seen some weird animals that frightened me, I can imagine your terror. That is one reason I only wish to do day searches. I do not want a close encounter with a creature as strong and capable of violence such as a BF, or bears, when I cannot see well in the middle of the night. We don't have any sort of night vision apparatus to use.

I was not afraid of the dark and camping at night until recently when some scary stories surfaced about animals, and meth labs causing problems for some hikers.

Of course, there are some monitored camp sites that I would not think twice about staying at, but it so neat to be alone, out on our own, building a fire, and just enjoying the peace and quiet. Hubby is able to do just about anything (brilliant and an Eagle scout), so I've always enjoyed camping with him, but recently, with all of the stories about people running into trouble I'm leery of camping alone in the woods without a weapon to protect ourselves with in case of trouble.

I believe, because I believe I've seen one. That said, I also believe that most existing evidence aint cutting it, be it pgf, skookum, memorial day.... there I believe we to do better.

We have a wonderful country, don't we?

Well I do love Canada and I know the parts of the US that I have been to have been great as well :)

Sometimes I really wish we would have waited just a couple seconds longer. I am not sure if I ever thought about shining the light on it. I sure shined it effectively on the mouse a minute before. Even a dim light would have probably been enough to get a look. It is strange since it wasn't like I went to sleep. The truth is that it really scared me more than I have ever been scared not that it did anything. I have read reports of people sleeping and having a bigfoot sneak into their campsite and look around and the reports did not seem particularly threatening. I really wonder what it was planning to do with two people that it must have known were awake and it seemed like it was just going to walk up to us and give us a piece of its mind or maybe to check if we were OK. I just don't know. Even in hindsight, I don't blame myself too much.

Edited by Jim Zenor

• 5 months later...
Guest Plowjocky

Now you are a man after my own heart. Shoot first, ask questions later when someone is coming in the window, or shoot into the air if they are banging on the house. I do not think that anybody would charge you for doing any of that when a person is truly in fear for their lives.

With a pump action shotgun,you can figure out real dabumm quick which two legged thing is outside.Aint a man on earth that dont know the sound of a round being jacked in one of those.

Guest Biggie

I believe it exists from the Patterson video analysis showing there was muscle group movement and the analysis proving a human could not fit in a suit that size, from hair scat skin and blood evidence that were all found to be from an unknown primate, from footprints with dermal ridges that were also found out in the middle of nowhere, from a lot of reliable witness reports including a family member who saw one and was known to be a no nonsense straight shooter, and from a experience I had in the woods that I found years later was similar to others who had bf encounters.

I believe many people lie about bf encounters to prank others, to get attention, to get on tv or make some money, but I'm not arrogant enough to say all of the witnesses are lying, especially when some of them have been proven they're truthful from lie detector tests, plus considering their sightings have caused many of them emotional trauma and relational difficulties with people they told about their sightings.

I believe it exists from the Patterson video analysis showing there was muscle group movement and the analysis proving a human could not fit in a suit that size,

What size is that?

Guest Crowlogic

I have a very hard time believing that they still exist. But I think they were still around 30 years ago in very small numbers. My position is they're extinct.

Guest Kerchak

I 'accept as the truth' that sasquatch is a real species because there is a lot of evidence that supports it and I don't see the subject as far fetched like many other 'mystery' phenomenons.

Guest Biggie

What size is that?

7-1/2ft tall. The full body dimensions were analyzed and found to be at non human proportions where a person could not have fit into the suit let alone be able to walk with that fluid gate. That plus the muscle group movement during it's gate makes it highly unlikely to be fake.

7-1/2ft tall.

Seven feet, six inches tall? Compared to who/what?

Here's a pic of Patty compared to 5'3" Roger Patterson. The blue dot is at the approximate 6' one-half inch mark. The red dot is around the 7' 3.5" mark.

pattyrogcompare002.jpg

That comparison helps illustrates why I'm reluctant to accept that Patty was 7 foot+ in height. (and yes, the cast I'm using for comparison purposes seems somewhat smaller than Patty's foot, so using a properly scaled cast, Patty would be even shorter.)

Edit to add: I'm neither a believer nor a non-believer. I'm a fence-sitting asshat who's been following this mystery for nearly 4 decades.

RayG

Edited by RayG

For me it's always been about statistics and plausibility. I subscribe to Occam's Razor and I think that with as many reports, sightings, tracks, etc are out there the probability that every single one of those is a hoax, mis-ID, or flat out wrong points very strongly that there either is, or at the very worst was Sasquatches in the world. Even only allowing for visual sightings only, there just isn't much out there that could be confused for a large hairy biped.

So I'm not wholly convinced even though I'm here in the Pacific Northwest, but I think logically if I had to pick one side...there be squatches in them thar woods!

-KW

• masterbarber locked this topic