My Personal End Date

Has anyone else thought about it? Ending your interest and participation in all things BF? I have. For many years. I've set my date to 1/1/2013 unless Sykes and Ketchum have proof, of course.

If proof doesn't come before that time I could no longer justify the time I spend here and the field work I do. This will make many who don't take kindly to skeptics happy because there will be one less here. But it's a win - win. I'll be home more with my wife and three kids.

WTB1

I don't understand why you would wait on someone esle or even set an end date. I understand ultimatley there must be some measurable to mark when sucess is made. I dont see people setting end dates for Cancer Research, both are research and one has saving lives attached. This is optional research. IMO. Let me ask this. What would you do if they release the discover on 1-2-2013? :)

Well like I said I would be ending it to free up time. Cancer is real and proven so it can't be compared to BF. But as to your question of what if proof comes after that date then I will of course not be binded by my decision post proof. Or, let's say I had my own sighting and became a "knower". That would free the decision too.

What field work? Are you out there looking for BF? You don't find them, they find you. Just enjoy yourself in the woods, why worry about an end date?

You have to understand that all these studies are going to get tied up endlessly- no scientist or DNA lab is going to want to publically announce they have proof of BF even if they do and is solid as a rock- too much embarrassment. So the studies are going to drag out for a long time, and my bet is they will slowly sink out of sight. In the meantime, BF is apparently not that difficult to encounter if you follow the data points. But I find that with skeptics (generally speaking) they don't want to go out and do it. The odd part is that the 'do it' part is not that hard if you follow the data points, and in the meantime you can have a nice time in the woods, which most people find relaxing.

Of course I'm out in the woods a lot searching. And in areas that are prime. It's a time consuming hobby and my goal was always to get proof. And I disagree with your take on DNA Labs. Sykes is very reputable and this would be the find of a lifetime. Not only would they release it they would hurry in doing so. So I'm basically giving it up if Melbum or Sykes doesn't find something very concrete.

WTB - good thread in theory.

I personally don't have an end date. I sway back and forth between "probably out there" and "maybe not". But definitely the mean is on the proponent side.

I think if the studies mentioned above PROVE to be completely fabricated, I will lose a considerable amount of interest in the subject altogether.

However, it won't stop me from doing my backcountry packing (of which I've been doing for over 15 years - and have had no 'experience' I could confidently suggest was BF).

But I find the phenom very interesting at this point.

Guest Mandango

Why not take a break now? It seems BF research burnout is very real. Take a break, stay grounded, and enjoy your family. I'm sure the mainstream media would be sufficient to keep you informed.

Has anyone else thought about it? Ending your interest and participation in all things BF? I have. For many years. I've set my date to 1/1/2013 unless Sykes and Ketchum have proof, of course.

If proof doesn't come before that time I could no longer justify the time I spend here and the field work I do. This will make many who don't take kindly to skeptics happy because there will be one less here. But it's a win - win. I'll be home more with my wife and three kids.

See you on 1/2/13

The title of the post had me a bit worried about you!

Why not cut back... and take your kids with you? Even little ones love the outdoors usually. Take 'em camping, hiking, canoeing... whatever. Obviously you must like being outdoors... bring them with you and just ENJOY.

If it ain't fun anymore, don't do it! Life's too short. Especially when you have kids.

Of course I'm out in the woods a lot searching. And in areas that are prime. It's a time consuming hobby and my goal was always to get proof. And I disagree with your take on DNA Labs. Sykes is very reputable and this would be the find of a lifetime. Not only would they release it they would hurry in doing so. So I'm basically giving it up if Melbum or Sykes doesn't find something very concrete.

OK- if you think that they will release what they know soon that is no skin off my back.

As far as the searching thing- you don't find them they find you.

More important: life is to enjoy. 50 years after we die most of humanity (even our descendents) will have no idea of anything about us. Might as well enjoy ourselves while we are here.

• Upvote 1

so you got crypto-burntout ...tired of all the scammers and plastic evidence mongers too...well take your break .. relax

Edited by RavenMadd

Guest poignant

I understand your frustration, I had the same thing too back in 2004 with BFF 1.0.

The sonora hoax had me so pissed off I didn't come back to this till earlier this year.

But you are right in that there are more pressing things than bigfooting. If it came to a choice between family time and squatch time, I think the answer is pretty obvious.

Go out to the woods to be in the woods, and if you see one, hey, bonus points!

The day I die is the day I stop bigfooting or camping as we call it now.

Or the day I stop bigfooting/camping is the day I die.

• masterbarber locked and unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber locked this topic