Do You W A N T Bigfoot To Be Found?

Guest Twilight Fan

Guest vasquatch1984

I had to sit and really think about this before I weighed in. My scientific mind wants answers and vendication. Maybe part of me wants to say "I told you so jerkface!", so there is the pride thing. In my heart, I want them to go on living as they have for thousands of years unmolested. It seems that as any culture comes into contact with a more "advanced" culture, they steer into a ruination. I do not feel that bigfoot is an animal like say a bear is, but something that is closer to us then anything else on this planet. The thought of them as being treated as some sort of animal offends me. My grandmother use to say that they are the l'homme à poil (furry man) and that they were a tribe just like we were, that they were advanced more then humans were and in different ways. I think that they should be left to the forrest.

For the species, I think discovery will be worse in the short term and a benefit in the long term, for reasons others have pointed out already.

Personally, I have mixed feelings. It is nice of folks to consdier witness vidication (Melissa, BobbyO) and I do share those feelings. After my encounter of course I told freinds and family at the time and then quickly shut up. Now decades have gone by and I doubt most of them even remember, so I do not feel there is any vindication to be found. Any vindication to be had is not going to account for 30 years of silence. Very selfishly, I know I would lose a nice little wall I built for myselt - "here is a really cool secret about the world, I know it and you don't", and there will be some pain to that coming down.

One big plus though- I have a daugher aged 5. Someday, I will tell her my story - it is too great a secret to keep from immediate family. I would much prefer her reaction to be "My dad saw this exotic, rare, and really cool creature!" than to drag her into a world of mythology and doubt, like I did with my wife.

Apart from my X mother in law who really does look like a hairy beast,id like it to be found and recognized by science and then left alone to thrive..

Guest truetalk

i think we all know what would happen if we were to capture one. i cringed listening to that green guy talking about THEY ARE ANIMALS and WE NEED TO KILL NOT 1 OR 2 BUT MANY TO STUDY THEM. hhmm i wonder how he would feel if a few aliens showed at his house one night and started the killing so they can be "studied"

we all know that if there were captured and we found out how and where they lived they would probably be extince in about 5 years anybody who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves

Guest reelback

I don't think discovery would ruin the mystery. There would be a ton of questions still to be answered.

Agree 100%.

I'm actually surprised at the honest discourse here about it. Although, its pretty moot. Technology is catching up to BF.

Personally, I think it being found is what I want. It isn't an easy question, though.

Regarding laws, I believe if its established as hominid then killing one needs to be treated as murder. I would imagine that would stop everyone but the most avid and insane hunters. But it would need to be done globally because in places like Russia, it would be easy to go there and try to hunt one.

I hope its a hominid as well, I believe that has the potential to create a massive paradigm shift in the minds of the human population. The reality that we're not alone as humans on Earth, that evolution can no longer be denied, and all the religious baggage this would expose.

Unfortunately, there will be blood. Some will be killed. And then the economic machine will take over. Bigfoot tourism. Pay to see, etc. The unwanted attention will probably be stressful to the population.

In the end, we're evolving. School shootings aside, we're slowly becoming a more enlightened species, very slowly. I think both will be able to co-exist, I just hope its not too traumatic for them.

Edited by reelback

• 4 years later...
On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2012 at 1:32 AM, Guest Twilight Fan said:

Or would it ruin the mystery for you?

I personally feel it is best that they are never found. Not by the majority of society, at least. Habituation circumstances would be best - when people establish relationships with the sasquatch based on peace, trust and good intentions - nothing more. I think both Bigfoot and humans could benefit from these secretive relationships and learn from & about eachother. As far as being "discovered" by science and the world....NO WAY. Squatches don't need no stinkin' science to ruin their lives! I hope they forever remain a mystery. :)

How about you?

As someone the evidence has convinced, I don't really need harnessing of the phenomenon by the lassos of science the way many seem to.  I clearly understand how the scientific community can resolve this to their satisfaction.  Unfortunately, they don't.  But they're gonna have to figure that out with no more help than I give them here :P

I have no investment in proving this to anyone else.  I'm just trying to inject some rigor into how people think about it.  With success that is, well, up to them, not to me.

Yes and no.  Since I've seen 2 for sure, probably a 3rd, they unquestionably do exist, so the issues are 1) opportunity for further study, 2) impact on them of discovery, and 3) impact on us of discovery.   Regarding wanting them "discovered", the question comes down to whether the pluses for #1 offset the costs for #2 and #3.   I don't think so, at least not today.    For now, I'll do what study I can, personally, while avoiding the costs.

MIB

• Upvote 1

Absolutely not.

I do want to see one but don't wish to document it and prove to anyone other than myself that it exists. If that day ever comes when it is proven, it will be downhill from there for sasquatches. They will become "protected" yet mercilessly hunted for their trophy status.

Not if killing one officially goes under the heading of murder. Right now that is not the case which IMHO is risking killing one without repercussions. Is there U.S. or Canada law already in place now for killing unknowns? IDK, but if so it should be posted here. Just find the dead one's carcass or skeleton and this kind of discussion goes bye-bye :) 

Guest Dkeeng

Everyone here should want it to be found, it would be the biggest scientific discovery in our lifetime, and maybe ever.  Much like faeries and unicorns though, I don't expect them to be found.

33 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Not if killing one officially goes under the heading of murder. Right now that is not the case which IMHO is risking killing one without repercussions. Is there U.S. or Canada law already in place now for killing unknowns? IDK, but if so it should be posted here. Just find the dead one's carcass or skeleton and this kind of discussion goes bye-bye :) 

I don't believe there are federal restrictions, however, at the state level there definitely are.    Some states, like Oregon, list all protected wildlife.  Anything not listed is considered vermin or non-native and may be shot.  Other states, like California, specifically list the wildlife that may be shot.  Everything not specifically listed is protected by law.   Each person should examine their state's F&G regs and know which kind of rules they're operating under.  

MIB

Thank you. Good advice. It seems so ironic that Sasquatch in Oregon could be in in the category of 'vermin'. Or even more ironic- a non-native species. Regardless though, totally agree members should know what their respective state laws are.

@Norseman: I will read that link you posted and hopefully it's not to ambiguous. Sometimes gov-speak can be confusing.

• masterbarber locked this topic