Red Eyes?

Guest vasquatch1984

In addition to what bipedalist has posted, above ... during our Vermont incident, there was No man made light shined on whatever this was on the move, and no moonlight to reflect eyeshine. Only starlight (a calm, cold night). A human - like barefoot track was found the next day, and cast.. in the same general location the red "eyeshine" was noted. Does this add up sasquatch ? Depends on, who's doing the adding. :)

• 4 years later...

There are quite a few reports of red eyes, actually.  This is one of a number of things the reason for which we won't find out without a specimen (and obviously a skeleton won't do).

A variety of eye colors are reported.  Of course there is no way this happens, because no primate has a variety of eye colors.  None.  :rolleyes:

Edited by DWA

Guest OntarioSquatch

With enough advancement in genetic science, you can give a tapetum lucidum to any mammal.

21 hours ago, DWA said:

There are quite a few reports of red eyes, actually.  This is one of a number of things the reason for which we won't find out without a specimen (and obviously a skeleton won't do).

A variety of eye colors are reported.  Of course there is no way this happens, because no primate has a variety of eye colors.  None.  :rolleyes:

The day we had a deer approach us - stumbling, falling down, getting up and repeating the entire process multiple times - Dan put it down.  That night as five of us sat around the fire, we heard something directly below us, so we walked over the the ledge and shined some flashlights.

Four or five - I can't remember - sets of red eyes.  Deer when spotlighted - will stand stationary for a minute or so - so these weren't deer.  They slowly "disappeared" behind the trees.  They were approaching the deer from that location we assumed, and the next morning, it had been picked up and carried off.

I was driving on I-78 near its Western end about 2 am one night, headed back to Manhattan.  I was very familiar with the route, driving to and from Cincinnati twice a month to see my son.  This was about five or six years ago.  

Up ahead, one of the roadside signs (big green interstate sign with the white border) had something new attached to it on the upper left side, a pair of incredibly bright, incredibly red reflectors.  It was near a dairy farm built along a stream on the South and a high, forested ridge to the North.  

I could see these reflectors from nearly half a mile away as I came down the slope toward the sign.  They caught my attention because of their unusual brightness and, being an engineer, I was interested in the obviously new material being used that was so brightly reflective.  

There was no one behind me, but there was another car ahead of me, slowing down as it approached the sign, and from its lights I could see that there was a silhouette positioned behind the sign and realized that some rural folks had put up an elaborate practical joke.  

I could see that the two reflectors were "eyes" within the outline of a "head", that there were fingers from the silhouette's right hand grasping the left side of the sign a couple of feet below its head, fingers from its left hand grasping the top of the sign near its middle, and two legs below the sign, the silhouette's right leg slightly bent and alingned with the sign's left post, and the silhouette's left leg bent and positioned to the right as if braced against the slope.  For all the world it looked like the silhouette of an eight and a half foot tall Bigfoot positioned as if hiding behind the sign, peering out and waiting for the right moment to dash across the road.  

I was chuckling and admiring the people who had crafted the joke when I realized that the guy ahead of me was slowing to a near stop as he came adjacent to the sign and I shifted my attention to him, preparing to change lanes to avoid him.  

Suddenly, as he was passing the sign, he swerved into and out of the left lane as if startled, putting me in reaction mode and I slowed down; then he accelerated rapidly enough that I didn't have to stop to avoid running into him.  I shifted my attention back to the sign just in time to look at it as I passed.  

It wasn't a two-dimensional silhouette as I had assumed.  It was three-dimensional and massive.  

And it turned its head to follow me with its eyes as I passed it.  

• Upvote 2

Oughtta be on the BFRO website (or other database of your choice).  Is it? Put it up.

Edited by DWA

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 5:45 PM, OntarioSquatch said:

With enough advancement in genetic science, you can give a tapetum lucidum to any mammal.

The documentation in both prosimians and monkeys of night vision is all that's needed to say:  why couldn't a hominid have developed the same?

Guest OntarioSquatch
2 minutes ago, DWA said:

The documentation in both prosimians and monkeys of night vision is all that's needed to say:  why couldn't a hominid have developed the same?

A species of hominid may develop that trait as well under the right evolutionary conditions. 

Edited by OntarioSquatch

Here is Wikipedia on the doroucouli (night monkey):  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_monkey#Physical_characteristics

"
Night monkeys have large brown eyes; the size improves their nocturnal vision increasing their ability to be active at night. They are sometimes said to lack a tapetum lucidum, the reflective layer behind the retina possessed by many nocturnal animals.[7] Other sources say they have a tapetum lucidum composed of collagen fibrils.[8] At any rate, night monkeys lack the tapetum lucidum composed of riboflavin crystals possessed by lemurs and other strepsirrhines,[8] which is an indication that their nocturnalitiy is a secondary adaption evolved from ancestral diurnal primates." [emphasis mine]

It's interesting to me that research hasn't closed that one out; this animal's been known a long time.  But sasquatch are repeatedly reported to have large eyes.  No mention of eyeshine in the doroucouli deepens the mystery here.  But again, no reason, however it happened, that it could not have happened with sasquatch.  And bolstering that it did are the large percentage of encounter reports taking place at night, when fewer of us are around to see them.

Guest OntarioSquatch

It only becomes more improbable from an evolutionary perspective when combined with other unlikely traits. With each additional unlikely trait, a non-evolutionary intervention becomes more likely. In the case of Sasquatch, two of biggest clues are in DNA analysis and hair morphology. 

2 hours ago, JDL said:

Enkidu?

Possibly, give or take.   Which might be those larger than today's size people you mentioned earlier today.

It is no wilder than any of the other explanations offered for the weird combinations of individually unlike (for a great ape) characteristics.     It costs nothing to set that answer slightly aside but leave it on the table in case more supporting evidence comes along.   Doing so is a more valid process for real science than cherry picking data to make the things we don't like go away .. particularly when there's a chance our expectations are what's wrong and the data is right. 

MIB

• Upvote 1

I'll take it under consideration.

I've seen claims, but haven't had the expertise or time to validate them to my satisfaction, that our DNA shows markers consistent with genetic engineering.  I suppose, if one were to engineer one species for a particular purpose, as Sitchen proposed, then one might have a reason to engineer two and use them for different purposes, or retain the more fitting of the two.

• Upvote 1

• masterbarber locked this topic