Which Of These Does Bf Look Like?

Guest Theagenes

Which of these does BF look like?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Skyla, just click on the "show results" button in the poll. So far "Other" has the most, with D (Gigantopithecus reconstruction) behind that...

<face in palm> Duh to myself! lol thanks!

All good, ya just didn't see it (light blue gray on light blue gray)...Honestly, I did the same thing the first time I noted a poll...I remember thinking to myself," I don't want to vote, I want results," and missed the button staring me in the face :)

Like what Oonjerah was talking about, the presence of a sagittal crest may not be very helpful in saying much about where Sasq fits in the ape/hominin tree.

As Grover Krantz said a long time ago, if you evolve a relatively small braincase and large chewing muscles on the side of that braincase, the skull will grow a sagittal crest to increase the muscle attachment area in normal development.

This was his argument why Patty had a crest when all the other 60s anthropologists said female apes/hominins can't do that. We also saw this in the Bili Ape, which is just a normal chimp subpopulation. These chimps grow big enough jaw muscles that they grow sagittal crests to compensate. We also find Paranthropus, a hominin, following this route. So, we would expect to see a sagittal crest in any ape or hominin, of both sexes, whose jaws proportionately outgrow their braincases, just like in Sasq.

Koko,the sign language gorilla,posseses a sagital crest despite being female(though she's rather large for a female gorilla,but still...)

You're right, dantheman. I wasn't clear on the distinction. Gorillas, including females (to a lesser extent because they have smaller jaws proportionately), have sagittal crests. Chimps aren't suppose to, until we ran into big guys like the Bili ape. Their skulls confused physical anthropologists for a while because of the non-chimp like crests. Crests seem only dependent on the relative size of the brain case and the lower jaw and not where the species falls in the phylogenetic tree.

Long story short: Sagittal crests can pop up anywhere in the apes/hominins and don't reflect relationship.

For sighting reports, for winkling out how closely related Sasquatch is to any of the apes/hominins, details of the face may be more useful, like jaw projection, nose type, etc.

Edited by tsiatkoVS

• 2 weeks later...

This is a good thread (and I haven't seen one's face so forgot it was here and started new thread with this essential question>>)

based on a comment by Matt Moneymaker apparently based on the Kentucky Footage, it is from a Cryptomundo artcile when Finding Bigfoot was new..

per MM:

"As for the black nose …. Yes, they do have black noses, like a dog’s nose. I’ve seen legit close range footage of a sasquatch face (the KY face shot, in the unreleased Erickson documentary). I’ve also spoken to several very close range eyewitnesses who describe very similar features. Some close range witnesses describe the hair on the face as being too bushy for the nose to stick out much. In other cases the tip of the nose is visible, and the skin is described as having the same color and texture as a dog’s nose. In fact, you see that same color and texture on the noses of almost all large wild mammals in geographic regions that dip below freezing for much of the year. Look up photos of the faces of deer, elk, bear, raccoon, coyotes, etc., to see what I’m referring to.

Bigfoots do not have huge prominent noses. A witness needs to be within about 30 feet of a bigfoot in daylight to even see the tip of the nose at all. It is mostly obscured by fur.

I’m not going to describe all the particulars of their noses, because it’s still a good way to distinguish fake photos from real photos. I’ll say this … hoaxers usually model the nose after a gorilla nose or chimp nose, but it looks nothing like those.

Chimps and gorillas are designed for tropical environments. Whereas bigfoots are designed for places that get below freezing. A large animal with big wide open nostrils like chimps or gorillas would not survive in places that get very very cold, because the lungs would freeze. Large mammals from cold regions have noses and nasal structures that allow the air to warmed up a bit before entering the lungs."

Me: I did a brief google search and found an interesting BFRO report describing such..

and along with Kings Canyon many say the hair so extensive under the nose not much detail....

what abut juveniles? Do their nose show more?

The only primate with a rhinum type nose are Lemurs, and interesting they also have Tapetun Lucidum (reflective eye), but the division from higher primates is like 65MYA....but, there were 400 pound Lemurs (sloth like) in Madagascar 2000 years ago with the pseudo-opposable thumb... that doesn't get one to a Bigfoot, but it does make me wonder if that genetic ability could have continued in the line that led to great apes and us, something residing in our genome that can be turned on or off through protein production?

Todd Standings "faces" if you believe even one, seem also to show an odd texture to the nose...I can't say if hoaxed or not (imagine MM says they are, but don't know - lol and maybe some would say the "Kentucky Footage" was hoxed..geez!)...

has anyone here noticed anything that would lead them to believe the tip or any part of the nose was somehow different than the skin on the cheeks?

Mine is a sort of a combination of D and J.I blended the two to get the idea. The color should be a bit more auburn. Its reminiscent though.

face.png

The one I got the best look at had an almost human nose except for being slightly turned up on the end. It was the same color as his face, which was dark, but not black. The face wasn't at all hairy, either. When I first saw him, I thought he was human, & it took a few seconds to realize what I was actually seeing.

I'm beginning to think there are many different "races" of them.

Bump, just because I want other witnesses to notice the thread.

Or you can always ask one of the BFF's super friendly mods/admins if they would mind pinning a thread- so it remains at the top of the section...

We love to help out when we can, not just to deal with the disciplinary stuff.... ;)

I'll pin this topic at the top of the General Discussion section for a while, and see if that doesnt help keep interest up !

Art

EDIT- ** or tomorrow when we get some of the current ongoing "bugs" worked out of the forums performance....

I got a really good look at the face in my sighting, from about 25 yards out in daylight. Like others, it is none of the above and there was so much hair on the face very little underlying detail could be determined. Your listing seems to me to go from too apelike to too human-like, and I would suggest providing more options in the line of the image on the Erickson Project site. Thanks for bumping CT I missed this one over the holidays.

Thanks, I noticed too that as many vote "other" over a single image and I am very intrigued by this idea of a rhinum...or wet nose, as it does show up in some photos and also I put credence in MM's quote...and another sent me a link (See Bigfoot Face..sorry! I forgot this poll was here) to oregonbigfoot.com with a drawing and clear view of nose by a witness way back, long time ago....it showed this change in texture at the tip and through the fleshy part that attaches to the upper lip (sorry I need to look up name for that!). This information, along with my own eye-shine work, and other stuff (see Habituating BF for some detail) leads me to a longer and harder look at just what the Lemur line means....or that those genes do reside in our collective past (ape and human)...and the intriguing mythology around Lemurs....! So, dang that DNA will be very meaningful!I plussed you above, I so often forget to hand those out and a close witness talking is a plus!BTW the edit function for me is acting funky....not allowing paragraph insertion without me personally including the HTML code (and that is not working either)..sorry for squished writing</p> also...pinning this thread would be cool, as people come and go over time...)</p> also...the hairyness....lemurs are very hairy! So, I am not suggesting they are a Lemur...but share some genetics that express this way?

Edited by apehuman

Guest Theagenes

<p>

I got a really good look at the face in my sighting, from about 25 yards out in daylight. Like others, it is none of the above and there was so much hair on the face very little underlying detail could be determined. Your listing seems to me to go from too apelike to too human-like, and I would suggest providing more options in the line of the image on the Erickson Project site. Thanks for bumping CT I missed this one over the holidays.

matilda.jpeg

Do you mean this one?Part of the point of the thread was to see if we could match descriptions with one of the known hominins. Of course the lack of hair on these reconstructions is problematic. I wonder if I could photoshop more hair on a few of them if it would help.

Edited by Theagenes