Bobbie Short Memorial

My sincere condolences. That is my favorite BF related site also. I guess it would be prudent for individuals to archive those pages for their own private reference.

Edited by Irish73

:( Agree or disagree with some or many of her views, she was a person at the heart of this community.

Wow. Just. Wow.

As others have stated, her's was a website that was one of the first and foremost that I found, and have continued to check for "BF world" updates and timeless resources. I can't imagine the footin' world without Bobbie and the frequently updated Bigfoot Encounters site. 

R.I.P.

BFF Patron

http://bigfootcrossroads.blogspot.com/2013/05/bobbie-short-pioneer-woman-of-bigfoot.html

This guy got it right.  Despite insertion of her own ideas and theories (on occasion, of which we are all guilty)......her main goal was to put it all out there in a day and age (early on) when that was not very easy and humanly possible.  She was an intrepid BF explorer.

I'd like to see one other (not stock) picture of her with her horses if that could be possible to sort of take it to another level though ; > } (call me selfish).  

Edited by bipedalist

Me too bipedalist, I am so longing to turn time back.  There is no one I could talk with like Bobbie, or anyone who could respond like she did.  Or, be so funny.  I am really going to miss her.   I can't imagine her work or spirit slipping away from us, and hoping the website does remain up indefinitely.... perhaps, her book can include some biography too... I am not accepting this well.  I do know several very close to her are already discussing how to make themselves helpful to publish her book.  It has more than knocked the wind out of me...  and I don't think I am alone there...it just doesn't seem fair...  

I like the author's comment to Loren Coleman.. I read his blog also yesterday, and if I could have remembered my Wordpress password, would have left a few comments for him....perhaps Bobbie helped me over that!  She had perspective!  BTW Melissa's interview has in Bobbie's words the info Loren claimed hidden...she clearly states she was born in California and lived a while in Texas..among other things....  I tried to get Iconfilms to call her...on the 16th....she would have said no though...one of her endearing qualities.

Edited by apehuman

Admin

Truly a pioneer in the field of cyberSquatchery. She will be missed. All of the Bigfoot websites today can thank her for blazing the trail.

I have spent many pleasurable hours on her website over the years, and enjoyed her monthly newsletter. She will be sorely missed!

RIP Bobbie.

BFF Patron

She was a team-mate in this org. so it is only appropriate to link to their site:  http://www.nabigfootsearch.com/bigfootblog.html

Posts by Loren Coleman

Bigfoot Researcher Bobbie Short Has Died

BShort.jpg

The Bigfoot community has been thrown into shock with the news that longtime researcher Bobbie Short, who many thought was 58, was really 76, and passed away a week ago, on May 16, 2013.

BShort2.jpg

Her grandson announced the news on Short’s website:

5/24/13 update: Hi everybody, I regret to inform you all that Bobbie passed unexpectedly a week ago Thursday 5/16/13. I know some of you may have been trying to contact her and wondering what was going on. This website and her research were a labor of love for many years and while I will not be maintaining it, I will certainly leave it up for an indefinite amount of time until its fate has been decided. There was also a book in-progress, that I’m not entirely certainly of its completion, that I’m trying to figure out what to do with….I’m Chris Millet, her grandson who helped her get this site off the ground and running so many years ago.
icon_smile.gif

Bobbie Short’s website, Bigfoot Encounters, has been in existence since 1995.

BE-Short.jpg

In my 1999 book, Cryptozoology A to Z, I profiled Bobbie Short. She has been well-known in the field for years, but rarely appeared at conferences and Bigfoot gatherings. The photographs above are the two that have been used for her for decades.

Bobbie Short, a registered nurse by occupation, was born in California, told some people she was born in 1954 in Texas, but according to her grandson Chris Millet, she was a “native Californian†and was born in 1936. She was 76.

Canadian researcher Todd Prescott has discovered that her birthname was Roberta Lou Eardley, which later became Roberta (Bobbie) E. Short. Roberta Eardley was born October 26, 1936.

Her grandson Chris Millet writes me, “She was an RN years ago and a part time caregiver for the elderly more recently.â€

Short fostered her particular interest in the world’s unknown primates through her bibliographical research and her travels around the world.

Her involvement began with a personal experience. While backpacking with friends deep in the Humboldt Forest-Trinity Alps region of northern California in the early morning hours of September 8, 1985, she saw a seven-foot-tall Bigfoot pass directly in front of her. Since then, she had traveled extensively in the Pacific Rim in pursuit of hairy hominoid stories. During March 1999, for example, Short trekked the jungles of the Philippines to interview natives about their sightings and tales of unknown hairy, bipedal creatures. Language was, at times, she told me, a problem with the native locals, and she said she used my field guide’s images as a tool.

She continued her travels to other countries in recent years. For example, in the summer of 2003, she traveled through Central Asia, China, Mongolia, and Tibet, investigating and interviewing hominology. She promised then to share her results in a forthcoming book, according to her grandson, which may or may not be close to completion.

In October of 1997, I worked with Bobbie Short and encouraged her to go interview Hollywood, Academy Award-winning makeup artist  John Chambers in person. On Saturday October 26, 1997 Bobbie Short drove up to Los Angeles. There she interviewed John Chambers in a senior care center where he was living and recorded on audiotape John Chambers telling of his complete lack of personal involvement in creating a hoax that resulted in the Patterson-Gimlin Bigfoot. During the late 1990s, a rumor had circulated, often linked to a certain LA movie director, that Chambers had been the man to have produced the 1967 Bigfoot. Short put those rumors to rest with her interview.

Short sat on the North America Science Institute’s short-lived research board in Oregon and was a life member of the San Diego Zoological Society. Her relationships with various researchers had a history of being hot and cold, and she was linked, at various times, with Peter Byrne, M.K. Davis, and David Paulides. She was a sometimes member of the China Flats-Willow Creek Museum, Western Bigfoot Society, the former International Society of Cryptozoology, and the British Columbia Scientific Cryptozoology Club.

Short’s legacy will always be her extensive collection of materials she posted to her website, a popular source of finding historical resources on Bigfoot/Sasquatch. Some questions, in recent years, have been raised about her extreme editing of articles and incorrect information she was adding to the website. Some had grown to believe her website was no longer a valid resource due to her changing previously published articles to fit her beliefs. â€Unfortunately, the site is corrupt as an archive now,†as one person wrote this blog today. “She used it for ideological and political purposes, distorting and altering history. This is anathema to a real scholar.â€

Bobbie Short died of a heart disorder, based on a probable infection from cherry Mexican tomatoes, for which she was earlier hospitalized.

+++

Further official obituary information has been obtained via Short’s grandson:

Roberta E. Short, 76, of El Cajon, California, passed away on
Thursday, May 16, 2013 at Alvarado Hospital in San Diego, California.
She was born on October 26, 1936 to parents Lou Eardley and Virginia
Burke in San Diego, where she lived most of her life and enjoyed being
a housewife and raising three children. Surviving are two daughters,
Kim Britton, Shannon Short and one son, Todd Johnson all living in San
Diego. She is also survived by one sister, Carol Roeux of Arizona.
Roberta will also be missed by her three grandchildren, Chris Millet,
Nicholas Johnson and Hayden Jones, of San Diego, California.
A Graveside Service will be held on Tuesday, May 21, 2013, beginning
at 12:00 PM at the El Cajon Cemetery, 2080 Dehesa Road, El Cajon,
California, 92019.
Permissions

Some people are reprinting this entire blo

BFF Patron

The age thing I had already figured out by intuition.  She had much to fear it seems in Bigfootdom.  Such a travesty that rogues exist that make anonymity a necessity for many. 

The last quote in that article needs to be backed up by proof but thanks for the post.

It also does not need to be anonymous.  Who is quoted?  Anybody know?  

Incredible how low people will stoop with parting shots?!  I think I know who would do that....... doesn't surprise me. 

Bobbie is like the teflon Don, people like that [critically anonymous] are like so much stuff between our toes now.  Job well done Bobbie.

Here is the Memorial Page for those that "truly" care.  http://eastcountymortuary.com/book-of-memories/1586165/Short-Roberta/obituary.php

Edited by bipedalist

Nicely done as usual bipedalist. Thank you.

Not sure what miracle it would take, but if the powers that be here could secure her website as part of our Premium Section....wow what an addition it would be here as we'll as a lasting tribute to her efforts & contributions.

Guest RayG

Very sad news indeed.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Bobbie in person, but I did speak to her on the phone, exchanged many emails and online chats with her, and watched her website grow from the very beginning.

I was flattered that she mentioned me in the 20 Questions with Bobbie Short interview she did back in 2006.

She had her own encounter many years ago, and graciously donated a drawing she did of that creature for the old bigfoot website I used to run. I've included it here.

She was a true gem of a lady, and my heart is heavy knowing she is gone.

RayG

post-82-0-26768600-1369539146.jpg

BFF Patron

Cool drawing never saw that one, looks female and I wonder if that left shoulder is the one she described as deformed......  it looks like she made a hint at it in the drawing.  

She had much to fear it seems in Bigfootdom.  Such a travesty that rogues exist that make anonymity a necessity for many. 

Bobbie is like the teflon Don, people like that [critically anonymous] are like so much stuff between our toes now.  Job well done Bobbie.

Here is the Memorial Page for those that "truly" care.  http://eastcountymortuary.com/book-of-memories/1586165/Short-Roberta/obituary.php

No fears for her anymore I hope...and based on what I know those who survive as rouges live in their own terrors..lots of secrets among the many and long involved....  Only death could stop Bobbie..and even that I think shall be foiled, b/c I do believe her book will get published and her ideas and contributions live on in so many nameless readers/researchers.

The unidentified article was by Loren Coleman..and his fixations in Bigfootery I think are obvious to as many that have read his work...or followed the scene of tireless marketing.

RayG  I had not seen that piece either...remarkable!

Edited by apehuman

• 1 month later...

Very very sad to hear about this........I  just found out.......Her site was the first good Bigfoot site I ever went to and book marked.......RIP Bobbie, u will be missed :(