Sightings Reports

36 posts in this topic

Has anyone else noticed the volume of sightings reports on BFRO increase dramatically when "Finding Bigfoot" is airing new episodes, and drops preciptously when they are not?

My question would be, are the increases actual sightings of people being made aware of the sites existence due to the show? Or, are they false accounts from people wanting to get attention?

A third possibility could be that the moderators of the site process the reports faster during these periods. They do seem to take quite a while to post a report under most circumstances. I feel they do this to prevent any "outsiders" from possibly investigating a fresh sighting.

Theories? Opinions?

Hello Space Cowboy,

Has anyone else noticed the volume of sightings reports on BFRO increase dramatically when "Finding Bigfoot" is airing new episodes, and drops preciptously when they are not?

My question would be, are the increases actual sightings of people being made aware of the sites existence due to the show? Or, are they false accounts from people wanting to get attention?

A third possibility could be that the moderators of the site process the reports faster during these periods. They do seem to take quite a while to post a report under most circumstances. I feel they do this to prevent any "outsiders" from possibly investigating a fresh sighting.

Theories? Opinions?

First off, welcome to the Forum. Since I haven't watch TV in over two years I cannot really address your first question. As for false accounts? Word is that the BFRO vets the reports. The amount coming in though could be too overwhelming to keep up with. I don't know if the new ones are flagged as "pending investigation" TBH. Some reports do not get posted if the statements of some witnesses are true though. "Outsiders" are always portrayed an unwanted interlopers who are at the very least trespassers. It's a good enough methodology to keep most if not all of the public to the level of only being an "audience". Typical, even in UFO circles. There are, however, oportunities to get involved but there could be a pricetag involved.

All in all, there's certainly enough that is already available to keep anyone busy with research for a long, long time. Personally I'm working on, not so much the reports, as trying to get more public access to data in general. Thanks for the post.

Edited by hiflier

I'll duck the question yet ask another.  :)

Look at BFRO's recent reports link.   Look at the location.   Most o' the population seems to think the Pac NW is "home of bigfoot" and is skeptical of reports from other areas, right?   Look how very few new reports come out of the Pac NW and how many are coming from the midwest and southeast..   

It doesn't look statistically right.   Makes me wonder if someone is holding back Pac NW data, not publishing the reports, etc.

MIB

I am in West Virginia, and have been building a MS Excel spreadsheet of reported WV sightings looking for patterns using BFRO database. I have noticed over the past year that the monthly number of reports jumps greatly during times new episodes are airing. I was just curious as to why? I do believe they keep certain reports to themselves by either not posting them, or waiting up to a year after the report is made to post them.

Hello MIB,

The reports would at first glance appear to be weighted as you say. Is it a diversionary tactic? It would be worth looking at any PacNW BF groups to say otherwise. "BobbyO" might be able to shed more light on the subject. I'm not nearly ready to voice any conspiracy dialogue but I do take issue with the proprietary nature of the Bigfoot landscape in general when it comes to disseminating knowledge to the public. And I do believe that my position on that point is well stated in this Forum and, at least so far, has not been countered to any great extent if the responses to the "A Gift For The BFF" thread is any indication.

Hello Space Cowboy,

The issue I've been addressing is that you shouldn't HAVE to be compiling a database in the first place! The BFRO already has one......so where is it?

Edited by hiflier

hiflier, I see your point. I am trying to narrow the data to my specific geographic area and find patterns. The data fields I am using include time of day, date, "A", or "B" class report, locations, behaviors, gender and number of witnesses, and witness activity at the time of the sighting, etc. I am hoping to narrow an area down, and identify an activity and time of year and day which would increase the likelyhood of a sighting. 

Hello Space Cowboy,

hiflier, I see your point. I am trying to narrow the data to my specific geographic area and find patterns. The data fields I am using include time of day, date, "A", or "B" class report, locations, behaviors, gender and number of witnesses, and witness activity at the time of the sighting, etc. I am hoping to narrow an area down, and identify an activity and time of year and day which would increase the likelyhood of a sighting.

Hey, that's great and I respect your efforts. May I forward this to you as a welcoming gift?

Are you the Space Cowboy, or are you the Gangster of Love? Oh, and do you speak with the pompitous of love? So many unanswered questions. ;-)

LMAO! I WAS the "gangster of love" in my youth...much more so the Space Cowboy nowadays. My wife forbids my speaking on matters of love at my advanced decrepitude.

hiflier, thank you.

Hello Incorigible1 and Space Cowboy,

Hilarious exchange. In your defense SC? I must say that decrepitude (good word!) is FAR better than fetitude LOL.Hello

It doesn't look statistically right.   Makes me wonder if someone is holding back Pac NW data, not publishing the reports, etc.

MIB

That's very, very possible and extremely plausible for all sorts of reasons.

Well guys, I've been investigating w them for about 3 years now and here is what I see.

The TV show tends to bring the conversation to the forefront. Many of the reports at that time are older ones that were not reported for various reasons; didn't want to be made fun of, etc. As the subject becomes more mainstream, people speak more openly about their experiences.

Sadly, there is a flood of stupid, ridiculous, "reports" made around the same time... All of which, bogs the process and sorting through them is pretty tedious.

I'd say it honestly takes a few months to really, completely, research a report and give it the attention it deserves. I approach most every report from a skeptical approach.... shadows or sounds in the night are impossible to support or deny. Not much to go on there... Every researcher is probably different to some extent in their process.

As far as the reports dropping off in the PNW. I would suspect that if I knew an area was a hotspot of ongoing activity, the last thing in the world I'd do is publish it for entire world to see... just sayin'

CG

As far as the reports dropping off in the PNW. I would suspect that if I knew an area was a hotspot of ongoing activity, the last thing in the world I'd do is publish it for entire world to see... just sayin'

CG

Agreed, can't say i blame them.

Back on the PNW issue...   There are, per capita, many many more investigators in that area that are currently active with the BFRO and countless inactive investigators as well...

Though nothing along the lines of what NAWAC is doing is common knowledge, I would not be surprised to learn if several "groups" are doing their take on an Area X-type of study... You certainly wouldn't want any extra boots in your area, would you?

Space Cowboy,

It might be that episodes of FB trigger people to come forward w/old encounters - its fresh on their mind and they finally make up their mind to report it.  I believe that BFRO weeds out questionable reports and those deemed wanting never see the light of day. I also believe that BFRO is now placing at least some of their map "pins" in the wrong location or giving very large boxes in an attempt to obscure where an individual encounter actually occurred. (This is based on my review of reports and comparing the location description w/where the pin is and private information.  My theory is that they're doing this to throw off other groups as to where (they think) good territories are.

Incidentally, I'm also working on WV-PA-NY sightings.  You may want to use MS Access, the database, as it allows you to manipulate information more easily. I've uploaded word docs before; the forum wouldn't let me upload "this kind of file," so you'll have to PM me for a draft copy of both that I share.