Guest Knuck

Little Did I Know

41 posts in this topic

Many here have heard some of my ramblings about my situation here in central NC. Some are interested, some understand, and some just outright don't believe me. -Whatever floats yer boat.

It began for me several years ago, though I didn't realize it at the time. I used to be a total "night person". I would be up at 3 or 4 in the morning. Drawing, painting, and reading. I got more done that way for a time. When I took a break, I would go out on my back deck, and enjoy the night air, and listen to the night sounds, some gave me pause to wonder. Not about "bigfoot" but still I had to wonder when I heard something in the woods across the road, I would wonder why there was a bull in the woods, and why is it angry? Then there were closer considerations. One night around 3am, I was standing on the deck, it was warm out, and pitch dark back there, no moon. I was suddenly alerted to the heavy sound of galloping coming toward me from the back of my yard. I discerned that there were two of whatever coming my way. I was puzzled, as they weren't heavy as a horse, nor were they light enough to be dogs of any size. I had to process this as these things barrelled toward me at a pretty fair clip. There was no making out shapes in the inky blackness. So as "they" drew near, I chose disgression as the better part of valor. In otherwords, I hauled-ass in the house! I didn't hear anything else that night. (But I didn't go out anymore that night either.) A few nights later there was a repeat of these, whatever they were, running toward me. The sound was plainly quadrupedal running. Heavy, definately a lot of weight, but not quite solid as horses hooves. I had no idea what they were. And I never gave "bigfoot" a thought. Not here.

At the time, we only had one decent tree in the yard, and it was a plum. It's snaggly trunk zigs in all directions, and the ugly thing puts out hundreds of plums when in season. I was working mids, so it was late before I got home. Before work, I had walked over and looked at all the plums I had to pick the next day. I went to work, and gave it no further thought. I came home around midnight, and the night went by with no consequence. In the morning, I grabbed this little bucket, and headed out back to pick plums. As I approached the tree, my jaw fell to my knees. As I walked around the tree I grew madder, and madder. There was not one plum on the tree. The only ones on the ground were just bird pecked ones. Since yesterday afternoon and this morning, someone has picked/stolen every plum on my tree. I was highly p---ed. I would have hoped my neighbors would at least tell me if someone had come by here and stolen my plums! Not a word. Noone saw anything. I believed them. Who would do this in the dark? Kids, but a question, how did they get every one without flashlights? I would learn years later how it was accomplished. More later. This will be continued in the "member sightings, no questions" section.-Knuck

Edited by Knuck

Many here have heard some of my ramblings about my situation here in central NC. Some are interested, some understand, and some just outright don't believe me. -Whatever floats yer boat.

It began for me several years ago, though I didn't realize it at the time. I used to be a total "night person". I would be up at 3 or 4 in the morning. Drawing, painting, and reading. I got more done that way for a time. When I took a break, I would go out on my back deck, and enjoy the night air, and listen to the night sounds, some gave me pause to wonder. Not about "bigfoot" but still I had to wonder when I heard something in the woods across the road, I would wonder why there was a bull in the woods, and why is it angry? Then there were closer considerations. One night around 3am, I was standing on the deck, it was warm out, and pitch dark back there, no moon. I was suddenly alerted to the heavy sound of galloping coming toward me from the back of my yard. I discerned that there were two of whatever coming my way. I was puzzled, as they weren't heavy as a horse, nor were they light enough to be dogs of any size. I had to process this as these things barrelled toward me at a pretty fair clip. There was no making out shapes in the inky blackness. So as "they" drew near, I chose disgression as the better part of valor. In otherwords, I hauled-ass in the house! I didn't hear anything else that night. (But I didn't go out anymore that night either.) A few nights later there was a repeat of these, whatever they were, running toward me. The sound was plainly quadrupedal running. Heavy, definately a lot of weight, but not quite solid as horses hooves. I had no idea what they were. And I never gave "bigfoot" a thought. Not here.

At the time, we only had one decent tree in the yard, and it was a plum. It's snaggly trunk zigs in all directions, and the ugly thing puts out hundreds of plums when in season. I was working mids, so it was late before I got home. Before work, I had walked over and looked at all the plums I had to pick the next day. I went to work, and gave it no further thought. I came home around midnight, and the night went by with no consequence. In the morning, I grabbed this little bucket, and headed out back to pick plums. As I approached the tree, my jaw fell to my knees. As I walked around the tree I grew madder, and madder. There was not one plum on the tree. The only ones on the ground were just bird pecked ones. Since yesterday afternoon and this morning, someone has picked/stolen every plum on my tree. I was highly p---ed. I would have hoped my neighbors would at least tell me if someone had come by here and stolen my plums! Not a word. Noone saw anything. I believed them. Who would do this in the dark? Kids, but a question, how did they get every one without flashlights? I would learn years later how it was accomplished. More later. This will be continued in the "member sightings, no questions" section.-Knuck

Please do keep us informed. What an unusual experience, I agree that BF could be a culprit regarding those missing plums. Yikes!

This spring do keep an eye out, and better yet, a camera running at night from a window..

I have a pear tree in my front yard that the deer like to nibble on. I came home one night at about 10pm and I found an opossum up in the darn tree and he had polished off about a dozen or so of the pears. Probably would have eaten them all if I hadn't run him off. ^_^

Thanks for sharing your experience, probably against your better judgement! :) Some of us truely appreciate it!!

All comparisons and comments appreciated Knuck :) I like your humor :)

Knuck,

Thanks great experience!! Of course, one other poster here has heard the galloping so I completely agree that they (BF) were the culprits. Probably trying to scare you into NOT going outside so they could rip you off. :blink:

Knuck, we experienced a galloping incident also. We had just moved onto our property near the Ocala national forest in 1999. We had just hauled 2 horses over and got them bedded down. We went to bed and had just settled in under the covers and we "not only heard but felt the vibration through the water bed" galloping coming towards the mobile home and past the back of it. Neither of us said a word as we jumped out of bed and out the door expecting to see a loose horse.

The horses were still in their stalls still munching hay.

Edited by Painthorse

I've had the same galloping experience several times, and rushed out at night expecting to have to spend the night catching our horses, only to see them all in their corral. Whatever ran across our yard was as heavy as a horse because it sounded exactly like ours have when they actually were loose. We did add night lights that are motion activated to the 2 dark sides of our house, and haven't had it happen since. I don't know what's more unerving, that or having the lights go on, look out & see nothing.

I forgot to add that by coincidence it happened right by our plum tree.

Edited by mesabe

To be honest, up until I knew for sure I have hairy visitors, I attributed the missing plums to just plain old human theft. It is kind of funny, It never has happened since. I've picked the tree daily each time it bore fruit. It would have taken me a good 4 or 5 hrs. to pick it clean and would have filled a bushel basket. Since I didn't see "what" or "who" picked it clean, I will just "speculate". wink,wink,nudge,nudge.-Knuck

If you had been outside when you heard the galloping, you would have been even more puzzled. I could see nothing, yet what ever was galloping, was obviously quite heavy/large. I thought; "If these are dogs, I don't want to physically encounter them unarmed." Now, upon reflection, I would stand my ground, as I am not scared of what roams the yard at night, simply fascinated.

I started this thread thinking I was posting it in the "member sightings, no questions" section. DUH! So I will continue it there. Sorry to inconvenience anyone. Jump over there to read more. (If you want to hear more, that is.) Thanks-Knuck

Hubby & I experienced the galloping, too. We were sitting out on the back side of the property just as it got dark one evening. Whatever it was, :rolleyes: ran by me almost close enough that I could have reached out & touched it.

I've heard it several times since then, but always from the safety of the house.

I believe you, no doubts. You're a lucky family and you have valuable information and knowledge!! :) Here's hoping it continues for many years to come... and continues to progress.

I am getting more reports of it as well and have experienced it over the phone. The 4x4 I think is alive and well...

The galloping is it heard or felt and if both is one more intense than the other?

I don't remember feeling it, but it sounded like a horse was galloping toward us. We were behind a tree, & couldn't see it until it was within about 6 feet of where we were sitting. It happened so fast that we didn't have time to think about what was happening. Just the sound, a blur of something light colored going by, & before we could turn around & look, it was gone.

I've heard the two footed running, also. Those big feet can really slap the ground.