Guest Knuck

Little Did I Know

41 posts in this topic

I agree Jodie. I've heard stories of galloping horses going down roads, by houses, across graveyards,and across battlefields.Supposedly the sound was made by phantom horses continuing what they were doing before they died, and have continued after death, postmortem activity of some sort. Yikes Twice. :blink:

Yikes 3 times! THAT is interesting Susi Have not heard that before... guess we sure got a ways to go before we understand some of the things people claim. Wonder how common the phantom horses situation is ? Also wonder where and what correlations there might be with that.. and the circumstances. Curious.

Yikes 3 times! THAT is interesting Susi Have not heard that before... guess we sure got a ways to go before we understand some of the things people claim. Wonder how common the phantom horses situation is ? Also wonder where and what correlations there might be with that.. and the circumstances. Curious.

There are lots of anecdotal stories that I am aware of and grew up hearing from my parents, aunts and uncles, and friends through the years of phantom horses and soldiers being seen and *heard* near major Civil War battle sites, graveyards, and along roads in the south that were over or along what once were pastures, especially the areas where there were large plantations.

My family, both parents, originally came from Virginia, and had rich and vivid stories of their childhoods and the legends from their areas.

I'm surprised more people here are not aware of this phenomena.

Here are a couple of examples of someone who is obviously misinterpreting some nocturnal activity attributed to a ghost horse:

http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=5879

http://www.wirenot.net/X/Articles/2003/G/ghosthorse.shtml

You hear about these stories all the time in the south, as Susie has said.

Thank you Jodie. You are a special lady, and I'm honored to call you my friend.

We deep southerners understand each other, and you are a stellar representation of a Southern Lady.IMHO :wub: to you my friend.

Interestingly there are many reports of night-time galloping ghost horses (often pulling coaches) from here in the UK. Quite a lot of them are similar to what's being described in this thread. What almost all of them have in common is that the galloping is frenzied, as if the horse or horses are being driven at full speed.

I think we can be sure, though, that whatever galloping beasties people are hearing on this side of the Atlantic, they're not Bigfoot.

Ludo

Yep, Sorta like a horse, sorta not. It sounds familiar to me. Not a deer, elk,maybe,but an odd sounding horse.Wow, What an amazing recording, thank you for posting this. Was I hearing some breath sounds?

Yeah, there is no "hoof" sound, no "clack" as if it's made by a padded foot instead of hoof. It was a concrete bridge, btw.

It may be. At first I thought it was some part of the bridge structure making the sound, but you can hear it before the galloper hits the bridge. Btw, Stan tried to recreate the sounds by running over the bridge himself and it produced no sound on the recorder whatsoever.

I know this is an older thread but wanted to add to it. in mid October 2011,I took my 13yr old stepson on a deer hunt for Ky's early youth gun season weekend. We were hunting a popular wildlife management area that I bowhunt regularly. We were in a creek bed with hills on either side of us. About an hour after sunrise we heard "galloping" comming twords us but maybe 50yrds up the hill, almost to the top of the ridge. It was very loud and we both stood up to try to see better because there were a few trees in the way. 2 does came into view and then turned around and went back the same direction they had come. After a few minutes,2-3 we walked to that side of the creekbed to look up the hill and we again hear the galloping coming twords us. Again a deer comes running just under the ridge but this time stops and after standing for a few seconds it changed directions and ran over the ridge and out of sight. I honestly feel the deer never knew we were there.

What struck me as so odd was the galloping sound which I assumed was caused by the deer.We heard this twice but never saw the deer making it. It honestly sounded like a horse running and I was supprised that a 100lb deer could make that sound. I assumed at the time that another hunter had spooked them but couldn't figure out why they would turn around and run back in that direction. I have spent a lot of time in the woods since In was young and have never heard a deer make that type of galloping sound as it ran.

To this day I am still unsure what actually made the sound I heard and what spooked the deer so bad as they were acting terrified. I have seen a lot of deer get spooked by people but have never seen them act like this.

Edited by dxtsniper

Could have been a squatch running on all fours chasing them.