Why Don't They Kill Us?

Got a few minutes before my next committment, so I'm going to air the monkee question that nags me & puzzles me the most.

Report after report documenting their strength, speed, agility, stealth, and intelligence. There are numerous reports of them easily catching & killing deer, and at least one I recall of killing a hog, all only with their big calloused mitts. clearly they own both the night & day out in the bush, when they approach/stalk humans almost with impunity without being seen. How many reports are there of herding humans out of an area and of visual & verbal intimidation?

In the bush they can take any human alive w/o breaking a sweat. By comparison our reactions are so slow and our strength so much less that the only chance a guy would have is if he was armed with a rifle chambered for a major dangerous game round (I'm thinking 338 Mag or bigger) and had the big ape dead to rights across 50 or more open yards in daylight.

Why don't they kill humans?

Not even one with an off center badly healed human inflicted wound with a grudge, not even an unbalanced rogue, never a female protecting her young or an alpha protecting his group. Nothing. All other animals including humans have killed those of our kind in these circumstances.

This really puzzles me...

Edited by NDT

Why don't they kill humans?

We don't know that they don't kill humans. People die in the outdoors all the time from "accidents". There are other ways that people could be killed by BF than by being ripped limb from limb.

Maybe they are just intelligent enough to cover their "tracks". :ph34r:

SSR Team

We don't " know " that they don't kill Humans..

But why would they ??

What reasons would you think would make them wnat to kill Humans, out of curiosity ??

Guest Knuck

Yes as Sasfooty said, people die outdoors all the time. How many hikers/campers were killed by what was reported as a "rogue bear" or mountain lion. Did anyone see the rogue bear? Did someone witness the mountain lion attack? An autopsy isn't required to tell an animal attacked a dead person. (But it could reveal DNA from said animal). However, even if proper authorities witnessed a Sas ripping a person up, does anyone really think that's what the public would be told? UH, UH. Not gonna happen. Imagine the panic/impulse actions of campers/nature lovers everywhere. If you ran a campground anywhere in the 48 contiguous states, you could fold and find a new career. National parks could keep the gates locked. And fishing,camping equipment outfitters would go out of business over night.

But I don't think it happens (death by squatch) very often. Over all, I think they treat life as a precious thing like a lot of us do. They don't kill animals for the hell of it. It's either food or self defense. They are intelligent enough to see that most of us don't kill unnecessarily, nor do we directly threaten them. Hunting them for sport or "scientific research" may change that attitude though. There's a whole warehouse full of "Can-o'-worms" in this thread. It should be very thought provoking.(without sarcasm). Good question NDT!-Knuck

Edited by Knuck

Guest Fanofsquatch

I don't think it enters into their thought process. They are not killing a hog or deer just to kill, to them the process is getting food. I don't think when they encounter a bear they are thinking kill for food just avoid danger and protect well being. Same with a human they don't want to eat us so they use the territorial defense/protect well being thought process.

But why would they ??

What reasons would you think would make them wnat to kill Humans, out of curiosity ??

Like Knuck, I don't think it happens very often, but why wouldn't they? Maybe they don't like having to dodge BF hunters & their cameras & guns, & being hunted for use as a "scientific specimen". Maybe they don't like the way some of us trash their woods & food & water sources & call them monkeys.

I can think of several reasons why I might consider it if I was one of them.

But why would they ??

What reasons would you think would make them want to kill Humans, out of curiosity ??

Let's see, Where to start, Umm, Okay, Coming between a BF and her children, Coming between a BF and it's prey, coming upon a sleeping BF and awaking it suddenly so that it kills you, coming between a male and his female when the guy is feeling amorous,

being out in the woods eating something that BF wants to eat, hmm, a BF in a really bad mood who just wants to kill something new to eat... :(

I'm going to guess that a human that got deep-sixed by a monkee would have very distinctive damage, particularly if it is in an area of the country does not have large predators. Even if it were in say, the PWS area of AK where some of the biggest bears in the world live and where bear maulings/killimgs are not uncommon, I'm guessing the damage would be distinctly different.

I agree with Sasfooty though on the folks that just go missing out in the bush. It's certainly possible they ran afoul of an irrate unacknowledged great ape and were never found...

SSR Team

Like Knuck, I don't think it happens very often, but why wouldn't they? Maybe they don't like having to dodge BF hunters & their cameras & guns, & being hunted for use as a "scientific specimen". Maybe they don't like the way some of us trash their woods & food & water sources & call them monkeys.

I can think of several reasons why I might consider it if I was one of them.

Maybe you can, but surely you didn't mention any realistic one's above did you ??

SSR Team

Let's see, Where to start, Umm, Okay, Coming between a BF and her children, Coming between a BF and it's prey, coming upon a sleeping BF and awaking it suddenly so that it kills you, coming between a male and his female when the guy is feeling amorous,

being out in the woods eating something that BF wants to eat, hmm, a BF in a really bad mood who just wants to kill something new to eat... :(

BF's are not Bears Sus..;)

I'm going to guess that a human that got deep-sixed by a monkee would have very distinctive damage, particularly if it is in an area of the country does not have large predators. Even if it were in say, the PWS area of AK where some of the biggest bears in the world live and where bear maulings/killimgs are not uncommon, I'm guessing the damage would be distinctly different.

I agree with Sasfooty though on the folks that just go missing out in the bush. It's certainly possible they ran afoul of an irrate unacknowledged great ape and were never found...

It wouldn't be *that* distinctive to look out of norm. Most remote areas like that, if a body is found wouldn't end up in an exactly state of the art morgue, so in depth analysis would probably never occur. And even if there was something suspicious, again going back to the Mayor of Amity in Jaws. You really think they wouldn't put "Bear Attack" on an autopsy if it meant keeping tourist dollars flowing? Plus, lots of folks just disappear, walk off never to be seen who knows what actually happened to them.

Now, HAVE they ever killed a human? Most likely it has happened under certain circumstances.

Maybe you can, but surely you didn't mention any realistic one's above did you ??

Different people do things for different reasons. What's realistic to one might not be realistic to someone else. It's all a matter of perspective.

BF's are not Bears Sus..;)

Yikes, I thought that I already knew that. Did I post something wrong? I would think that bears and BF would have similar mothering traits.

Most higher mammal type wild animals do protect their young.

Speaking of perspective, I think the answer could depend alot on what you think they are...

Those who believe they are simply animals, well they attribute animal behavior to them, and its a mystery as to why no one (on record) has been treated to a Squatch massage- otherwise known as being drawn and quartered.

There are those who assign a higher level of intelligence (along with a different classification) that would explain several non-animal behaviors. Ability to hide, ability to evade more effectively, and maybe even just a touch of common sense.

Ok-

A ) so big hairy and smelly is out in the woods- he takes a nice size rock and smashes himself a "bambi" for dinner... (yea i know, poor bambi- but hey even Sas has to eat). He drags the kill off, devours it, nothing happens...

B ) so big hairy and smelly is out in the woods- he takes a nice size rock and smashes a 13 year old "Timmy's" skull in- who happened to wander into his territory, and "upset him". (yea i know, poor Timmy- but hey he should have realized he was walkin through Sas's living room!). Next thing you know, there's people, dogs, the national guard(more people) & choppers - all out looking for poor Timmy...

Not saying they are smart enough to reason all of this out- but it might occur to them that WE are not animals either, and thus are off limits...

One last point- I really dont want to be ripped apart by a BF, and I dont want to get eaten by a bear, cougar, wolf, etc etc- but even when it does happen (BF aside)- it doesnt and shouldnt keep people from camping and spending time out in nature. The idea that a Sas attack on record would single handedly shut down every park and outdoors supply store in the US is quite silly... There'd be a few people (who are already afraid of their own shadow in the woods) who would stay away. The rest would just chalk it up as one more thing to keep an eye out for...

Art

Guest Kronprinz Adam

Interesting...maybe they simply do not predate on humans, or they know we could possibly carry weapons, or maybe there should be more humans nearby that could retaliate...they are possible curious about us, but their senses tell him to stay away. And I think it is better so...

• masterbarber locked and unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber locked this topic