Why Don't They Kill Us?

Those of you out there so terribly mortified to belong to the human species, well gosh, I wish there were some alternative for you.

Me, I'm pleased to be a homo sapiens.

Amen, my friend, Amen. I can't believe some of these posts. I choose being human any day over being an ape-like creature living in the woods. I like electricity too much... :rolleyes:

And INDOOR PLUMBING along with Toilet paper.Yikes Twice!!

A rogue Sas?

You know PT, up until that post you had me as a reasonable individual.

But you and others with a like mind are scaring naive people like SusiQ2 out of their underpants and keeping them from enjoying the outdoors.

Susiq2 reply's: Major hugs and kisses to you, dear one. :wub: You are so sweet and thoughtful. I am not as frightened as I was at first when I learned all of this info. I know positivity that I will not go alone into the woods ever again. But, I have a plethora of men to go camping and hiking with, and I truly would fear nothing if I had my guys with me.We will camp, we will hike, and I will enjoy the outdoors along with my guys.

So I'm okay, and it is funny because hubby asked when had I ever gone out in the woods alone, and I realized that I have not since my childhood and teen years! Yikes!!

• 1 month later...

Just got around to reading this thread.

This must happen on occassion. And some of them probably prey on us at times also. For example, if you Google neanderthals and cannibalism you learn that cannibalized neanderthal remains have been found both in sites occupied by neanderthals and in sites occupied by our ancestors. Surely neanderthals ate us on occassion too. And of course we've been known to eat each other.

So a bigfoot in a situation where food is scarce may well prey on an isolated human. What keeps them from doing this all the time? Probably most have learned that it's better to steal food from us (or our garbage) than to use us as a source of food.

Here's a link to a media article that's interesting. The story took place in 1950 and reappears in the regional newspapers occassionally. Lost Climber

I'd be nervous if I were isolated in the late winter when game and vegetable food sources are scarce. A very hungry bigfoot would be more dangerous than just a hungry bigfoot. Of course, this applies to any omnivore or carnivore.

So what do you get when you strand two vegans on a glacier?

• 6 years later...
On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2011 at 2:11 PM, Guest said:

Got a few minutes before my next committment, so I'm going to air the monkee question that nags me & puzzles me the most.

Report after report documenting their strength, speed, agility, stealth, and intelligence. There are numerous reports of them easily catching & killing deer, and at least one I recall of killing a hog, all only with their big calloused mitts. clearly they own both the night & day out in the bush, when they approach/stalk humans almost with impunity without being seen. How many reports are there of herding humans out of an area and of visual & verbal intimidation?

In the bush they can take any human alive w/o breaking a sweat. By comparison our reactions are so slow and our strength so much less that the only chance a guy would have is if he was armed with a rifle chambered for a major dangerous game round (I'm thinking 338 Mag or bigger) and had the big ape dead to rights across 50 or more open yards in daylight.

Why don't they kill humans?

Not even one with an off center badly healed human inflicted wound with a grudge, not even an unbalanced rogue, never a female protecting her young or an alpha protecting his group. Nothing. All other animals including humans have killed those of our kind in these circumstances.

This really puzzles me...

This is one of those "how come there has never..."

We don't know that.  There are more than enough unresolved disappearances in NA wild country to conceivably make bigfoot our No. 1 Animal Murderer.  Easily.

I sure wouldn't bet on it, because one could ask the same questions about known apes which only rarely attack people.

9 hours ago, DWA said:

I sure wouldn't bet on it, because one could ask the same questions about known apes which only rarely attack people.

Wouldn't you think Bigfoot might have a more developed mental abilities going on than a regular known ape? I'm just asking because I don't humanize them but I do think they are more mentally developed than a regular ape.

Not necessarily.  Right now, I think that the denial of the society is protecting them one heck of a lot more than elusiveness or the attached speculated mental qualities.

But I can't say our denial makes him stupid, can I? Nope.  I would think, however, that they know - because I think bears do - that there are serious consequences to messing with one of us.  Until we know more about him, I can't really say, but I do think that for the moment, higher primates give us very good clues, for behavior as well as morphology.

In my experience, they have near human intelligence.  What this means is, if they prey on us (as I believe some do), they are more dangerous; choosing circumstances that least favor the survival of their prey, and most favor their own avoidance of detection.  

There are plenty of reports of people being stalked by them and feeling completely at their mercy.  Best to take that at face value.  

" There are plenty of reports of people being stalked by them and feeling completely at their mercy.  Best to take that at face value. "

Yes, I agree with this statement. since I have felt this myself  while hunting and it is not a good feeling to have. Being stalked by some thing that some how understands how you will move is not the greatest thing in the world and leaves you with a bad feeling. The thing is that I learned to leave at the right time and have often thought back should I have left.  Reason being is the creature I seen in front of me at 50 yards was waving it's arms as though it was saying not to leave. It was on the path of my trail out of my blind so I had to re-route my path back to the trail to my truck.

In all species, there are those with aberrant behavior.  Dogs, sharks, lions, tigers, elephants - every species - including humans.  They don't follow "normal" behavior parameters as practiced by the bulk of a population.

For centuries, we'd had numerous narratives from Native Americans to us late-comers, where the narratives plainly said these critters have killed, kidnapped and killed, and even eaten humans.  But these occasions seem to be perpetrated by those with aberrant behavior patterns - not the bulk of the population.

One other set of narratives would include those whereby a local human population would eventually take retribution on these critters, hunting them, and even killing them.  Since they already knew for a fact these things existed - it was no pressing matter to preserve the remains.

I would suggest they are intelligent enough to know the risk in killing humans, and how humans will hunt for the missing and possibly even hunt for them.  I note that lots of narratives of "missing" children, when a big search and rescue is organized very quickly - often the child turns up near where they were suddenly "missing."  Others have been found in an area where the child would be found - as though it were put there to get the searchers to quit beating the brush.

Whether by their general nature, or whether by genetic memory of past eradications of revenge - habitual killing of humans for defense or food - is fortunately a no-no for the general population.

But not for those of aberrant behavior.

And my contention is that we are smaller and so the intelligent (but simple) thinking of a BF is that we are juveniles. The fact that they never seem to see our 900 pound parents must be worrisome to them. Sasquatch may even think that our "parents" are better at concealing themselves than they themselves are and so it may seem too risky to mess with us. It's simple reasoning. But for Sasquatch it may be the perception of the unknown watchers over us that keeps them relatively quiescent. They simply cannot figure out where our 'parents' must be hiding. Could be a very scary and unsettling thing for them. A risk of retaliation they do not want to take. It may be just that simple.

In Far Archer's encounter the BF steered clear of him. "What's this juvenile doing all by itself?" "Where's the parent(s)" "If I harm it, it could not go well because I don't have a clue as to where they even are!" I truly think this is the thinking that takes place within milliseconds of seeing us.

Wrong. Slam dunk! Love the way you counter with zip for a reason. You can do better- by proving me wrong. Never mind, you can't. It's the ol' can't prove a negative thing. First time I've EVER used that mechanism. Don't like it at all. But in this case? If you are going to dismiss me then the burden of why is on you, my friend. I say Sasquatch sees us as juvies, you say otherwise but leave the Forum hanging in the process. I give reasons for why I said what I think. You didn't. Good job.

Edited by hiflier

• masterbarber locked and unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber locked this topic