What Do Friends/ Family Think About You& Bf ?

Doc Holliday

Guest wvanative

Well I had my encounter when I was a kid in WVa in the early 1960's. We had many encounters over the years looking back at what was going on back then.

I moved to IL in 1968 after dad pass on married and had two boys. I just ask my wife if she believed in Bigfoot because I said he was real and she said yes. Now she knows he is out there because last year she saw her own Bigfoot on her way to work one morning. My older son has his sighting about 15 years ago when he was driving a central IL road one morning while delivering news papers. I also have a brother in-law, who is a truck driver who saw one a few years ago in the pacific northwest in broad daylight as he crossed a bridge as it was taking a drink out of the river.

My wife has never given me any flack about any of my hobbies bowling, golf or Bigfoot because she said if I was doing what I wanted I was not going to get into trouble doing things I shouldn't be doing. My youngest son has not seen one but is a firm believer because he knows his dad, mom and brother don't lie. In fact when ever we are driving and I am slowing down to look into the woods someone will always say, looking for Bigfoot or deer and I always say both LOL.

Edited by wvanative

Personally, I could give a flying, leaping, rat's a$$ what other people think. I do it for me and our team, period. Worrying about what other's think is a serious waste of time, effort and brain work. Squatch on! I'll have the last laugh. -- Mojo

Guest tracker

Well I don't know about being wise treeknocker I 've just had a lot of experiences. For those members who get laughed at or ridiculed (mkianni) Remember you don't need anyone's approval so don't seek it. Just mention your interest and that you would like to see one. Then leave the ball in their court, don't over sell it. Let them come around on their own. Heck, alot of so called researchers are only into this as an excuse to buy and play with their big boy toys.

This may help so I will provide some personal 411.

I mentioned for the first time to my brother in an email about being in the trade for the first time yesterday. 30 years after my first encounter in which he was back at our hunting cabin when it happened. He just said interesting, and said he would not mention it to his wife or daughter because they would be scared.

It makes no difference to me and i am not ashamed to talk about our hobby. But then again he' knows i've spent some serious time in the bush/mountains under harsh conditions. So it mostly depends upon your relationship if you get support or rejection.

I agree. & Mojo, I hear ya. For the longest time, I wanted to share this with some people that at one time I wanted approval from.. but those years are LONG gone. So at this point I share your philosophy. Luckily like you Tracker, I got family in my court cause they know too. Most of my close friends dont exactly know the intensity, but some do. Some join in and some just laugh. No problem, everyone needs a good laugh. What is really funny is when over the years THEY have something happen to THEM :) I get a lot more questions now from certain people because you can see the worry in their eyes.. so as always, just trying to be helpful.

Edited by treeknocker

You know I replied earlier that the family and friends don't think anything about my interest because they either believe it exists or are open minded. That is true, as long as it is a casual interest, but if I started using all of my free time and money to go out and try to find bigfoot they might do an intervention on me Like John's family and friends did for him. I think it's the degree to which you are involved, whether you are simply interested as opposed to being obsessed with the topic, that dictates the response in a lot of situations.

What I do with my time and hard earned money is no one's business but mine. I could care less about anyone's opinion on that. I also don't care when people say things like, "John I don't believe you saw what you think you saw." It's the ones like "John you are a liar" and "John you are crazy" that really took some getting used to. Especially from people you love.

Edited by JohnCartwright

Admin

I tell folks about searching for Bigfoot, and responses vary from interest to what a psyco. I really don't care what people think. I do my thing, hopefully hitting the jackpot someday. :)

When I was younger my folks thought it was great that I had a hobby that would send me into the woods on horseback for the whole weekend and I didn't need a babysitter. My Mom loves to joke that Bigfoot practically raised me.

My kids will beg you not to "get her started" but hey, BF practically raised them too. And they thought we were just camping... :D

My fiance' volunteers to drive to our cabin on the weekends so I can "watch" the national forest and land management areas we pass through to get there and doesn't take it personally if I don't talk while keeping vigil. He has some of the howls from the BFRO loaded as ringtones and loves to call his cell from mine to watch me freak for that split second while sitting outside.

Ya gotta love 'em! They sure put up with me.

• 6 years later...
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2010 at 11:21 PM, Doc Holliday said:

since were here to discuss the sasquatch debate,i was wondering about this aspect.

my family & some friends know im interested ,but i dont bring it up much around some of them. i usually get :rolleyes: from my wife,w/a little smile & my kids think its cool{can we go see one dad?}

they see me w/BFF on the PC and i suppose your friends & family know youre interested as well.(unless youre hiding under the steps w/ a laptop :) )

so heres the question,whether you think squatches are real,fake,or undecided, how do your loved ones react to your interest in Sasquatch :blob: ?

They know I'm interested and tend to the proponent.  (I think they remember that. I sure don't talk to them much about it.)  The one I have to watch out for is my wife.  When I am talking about our track find in CA, I try to be - I'm talking to noobs without scientific bent, mind you - properly scien-skeptical.  My wife?  OH THEY WERE BIGFOOT TRACKS.  Um, heh heh, right, yeah honey...:unsure::D:lol:

My wife thinks I'm nuts. She does however believe in flying saucers so...

but hey, either way it's made for a cool novel & movie. 

My mother dropped this pic off yesterday. It's a 10 yr old AaronD showing I was a squatchy kid even then. For time perspective the PGF was coming up on its 10 yr anniversary 

IMG_1200.JPG

• Upvote 1

My wife thinks BF could be real but that's as far as it goes with her.   But she doesn't mind me going out looking.   My cousin likes to hike so I ask if he wanted to go.  At first didn't tell him what I was really doing.  So the first time we went we came across a juvenile print.   And he says "who would let their kid run around out here barefoot".   I said don't know then took pictures.   He thought that was weird and I didn't explain.   Anyway next time we went I found more prints so I told him what I was doing.   He laughed at me then I started explaining things to him and he got better about it.  He says he will have to see one to believe in them but he still goes and has found tracks that I did not see so I guess it's a win!   Now we need to find one!

• Upvote 1

• masterbarber locked this topic