A Plan For Discovery

hiflier

Hello BobbyO,

Enjoying such a tremendously beautiful environment and natural treasure like the OP has been a long time and waaay overdue experience for me. Getting in there has been a dream of mine and this opportunity is one I will not pass up. You are so right (and wise!) in saying not to expect that I could ever force things. The chance to see some of the old growth Forests will be enough of reward in itself I'm sure :) And I mean it sincerely when I say thanks for the reality check.

Edited by hiflier

Guest Coonbo

Norse, 90% of visuals are at elevations less than 1,000ft, and 91% of non visuals are under 1,000ft in the area that hiflier's taking about throughout the year.

Of course that doesn't mean that they don't frequent higher elevations because they do as is shown in the 10% and 9% respectively, but it does mean they most certainly aren't restricted to them in the area in question.

Interesting.

BobbyO,  What Norse is talking about is change in elevation, NOT altitude, per se.  If there is a bluff, steep ridge, or highwall in an area, the boogers will very often (more often than not) take the high ground.  Also, they will climb trees to keep a better eye on us or potential prey.  In my experience of investigating sighting reports from old quarries, sand pits, borrow pits, strip mines and other man made holes or disruptions in the terrain, most of the sightings will be up on the high wall of the place.  In areas of natural bluffs and steep ridges, many of the sightings will be up on the high ground.  One advantage to the high ground during the day, besides the better view, is that the natural thermal air currents rise and flow up-slope, carrying scents from down below up to the top.  Even buck deer, bull elk and other animals use these thermal currents to their advantage to be better prepared for the approach of danger. 

In addition, commanding the high ground gives you a much better defensive position, as any quick study of military history and strategy will teach you.  I've been bombarded by rocks and sticks from above me on canyon walls, bluffs, and ridges a few times.  Plus, it's almost always MUCH, MUCH easier and quicker to disappear and escape from atop a bluff, ridge, or highwall when your enemy is below you. 

I've just started reading this thread, so if this has already been covered, I apologize.

Coonbo

Edited by Coonbo

Guest Bigfoothunter

I was asked to read this thread and I have. I say let people look for the creature as they see fit. I don't understand why its so important to someone else to tell others how to utilize their time in the field. A researcher asked for opinions on how to better his efforts. I applaud those who responded by saying the project wasn't what they would do, but wished the best of luck to those who wish to try it anyway. I'll share a saying that i use in my signature .....  

"A person who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the man doing it."

In the end it most likely won't be a plan of action that resulted in anyone's success as much as it was that they were out there in the bush and ended up being at the right place at the right time. While this particular effort is not a technique I would be interested in doing - I say the best of luck to those who are at least trying by just being out there so to at least have a chance for an encounter.

Bigfoothunter

SSR Team

BobbyO,  What Norse is talking about is change in elevation, NOT altitude, per se.  If there is a bluff, steep ridge, or highwall in an area, the boogers will very often (more often than not) take the high ground.  Also, they will climb trees to keep a better eye on us or potential prey.  In my experience of investigating sighting reports from old quarries, sand pits, borrow pits, strip mines and other man made holes or disruptions in the terrain, most of the sightings will be up on the high wall of the place.  In areas of natural bluffs and steep ridges, many of the sightings will be up on the high ground.  One advantage to the high ground during the day, besides the better view, is that the natural thermal air currents rise and flow up-slope, carrying scents from down below up to the top.  Even buck deer, bull elk and other animals use these thermal currents to their advantage to be better prepared for the approach of danger. 

In addition, commanding the high ground gives you a much better defensive position, as any quick study of military history and strategy will teach you.  I've been bombarded by rocks and sticks from above me on canyon walls, bluffs, and ridges a few times.  Plus, it's almost always MUCH, MUCH easier and quicker to disappear and escape from atop a bluff, ridge, or highwall when your enemy is below you. 

I've just started reading this thread, so if this has already been covered, I apologize.

Coonbo

Absolutely, it makes perfect sense and I have no doubt that this is how they would roll.

But when I analyse sighting reports, I can only look at where they actually were at the time of the report, not where they probably were at another time.

Hello BobbyO,Enjoying such a tremendously beautiful environment and natural treasure like the OP has been a long time and waaay overdue experience for me. Getting in there has been a dream of mine and this opportunity is one I will not pass up. You are so right (and wise!) in saying not to expect that I could ever force things. The chance to see some of the old growth Forests will be enough of reward in itself I'm sure :) And I mean it sincerely when I say thanks for the reality check.

Exactly, and it can be very much enjoyed, trust me.

Around 40 for the Olympic Project Expedition this weekend.

post-136-0-58481300-1395646916_thumb.jpg

Hello Bigfoothunter,

Sage advice and things to maturely consider. I thank you for your input and for taking the time to respond.

Edited by hiflier

Hiflier- interesting thread, however I have another approach for for others members who would not be able to participate in the endeavor. I help financially to a reasearch group, not a lot but hopefully it helped, and think think that any exsisting research group would/could be helped by eleveating some of the financial burdens of travel(gas expenses) and/or research equiptment, food and lodging expenses as well. For the incapasitated individuals who cannot get out anymore.

Hello BobbyO,

The OPE looks like quite a turnout! Now that I know about such events I'll have more options than I had say, yesterday ;) I would seriously consider such a venture and thanks for bringing the info here. It would CERTAINLY take the work out of things on my end without question in which case I could just enjoy the experience. I drive-to-spotter type idea still intrigues I have to admit but an OPE, appears to be a fine avenue to aim for.

Hiflier, the drive  idea was attempted in NC in the Uwharrie NF by the BFRO and had, to my knowledge around 200 people participate. The terrain there is not quite as extreme as the OP. IMO if you brought dogs on the drive you would end up with your prized tracking dogs getting killed. 10,000 people might fare better...

I wonder what would happen if you got everyone at Joint Base Lewis-McChord(around 100,000) and had them do a grid search of the OP. They would have a command and control center , good equipment and a lot of fit people for the search. I think that would be the best way to go but we know it won't happen.

However, I am down for the OP and a cross country drive!

Yes! Who's bringing the beer?

Nobody, no addictive or state altering substances allowed on exped.   The group does not need half intoxicated people hearing twig snaps and proclaiming sasquatch.    :tease:      

Nobody, no addictive or state altering substances allowed on exped.   The group does not need half intoxicated people hearing twig snaps and proclaiming sasquatch.    :tease:      

What if those state altering substances are prescribed?  Some prescription meds have side-effects that include hallucinations.

Hmm, well in the case of prescriptions I would think that is something that would have to be evaluated carefully before hand.  

My advice, do not go on exped if you have hallucinations as result of medications.  

Someone that has the task of observation has to be in the correct condition to effectively observe.

Guest keninsc

If you're going to be doing one of these you need to understand that it ain't a kegger. You're there to do some serious stuff and you need to have a clear head and your wits about you. Leave the Beer, booze and weed at home.