N A W A C - Field Study Discussion (2)

See-Te-Cah NC

Nope that's not what he meant the proclamation came up in a answer to a question I had about type specimen permits.

Sure

Danke.

Regarding his stance on the collection of a specimen, he's made several statements that are easily read as supportive of positions like ours though he's not always as direct about is as some would prefer. 

I stand corrected. At this point, I have no idea what his stance is. He seems to have made contradictory statements on the matter. 

I think Meldrum's focus has always been to the north and west as opposed to the south and east. I can't speak to his association with Standing (though my personal opinion is it's ill-advised in the extreme), but he's always been supportive of our research from a distance.

Regarding his stance on the collection of a specimen, he's made several statements that are easily read as supportive of positions like ours though he's not always as direct about is as some would prefer.

Why would he focus north and west and ignore Area X, practically, unless he finds southern and eastern accounts less substantial because of their location? Why would he support your efforts only "from a distance" given the perpetually "hot" location of your operations over the last few years, unless he has his doubts. (Or is it the pro-kill, heavily armed nature of your org, as Norseman suggests, that keeps him away?)

I do agree that it is ill-advised of him to team up with Standing. Maybe Todd's super glib showmanship pulled Meldrum in. IMHO, Meldrum got seriously involved in the whole sasquatch saga by being conned by Freeman, so maybe he's not as discerning as one would desire in a scientific advocate.

Not to get off track, but I would love to know Dr. Maldrum's opinion on the Todd Standing videos, especially after reading the link you provided and what they have to say about the videos Jerrywayne.

That is a good question. From what I know, Meldrum is very diplomatic when dealing with other Bigfoot advocates. It is with the skeptic that Meldrum will find a voice to fault. But still, how could he not look at Standing's photographs and not see a Big Red Flag.

This is a surprise. Do you know why he is against it?

He has been full of surprises lately. Despite some who assure that he must know what he doing I cannot help but feel the man has jumped the shark...

Why would he focus north and west and ignore Area X, practically, unless he finds southern and eastern accounts less substantial because of their location? Why would he support your efforts only "from a distance" given the perpetually "hot" location of your operations over the last few years, unless he has his doubts. 

You'll have to ask him these questions. 

Boiled down to brass tacks? It doesn't matter who supports what.

A real tangible body is going to call all of the shots. We can run DNA samples off of a body for years. The knowledge gained from a type specimen will be huge. And scientists will be lining up around the corner to study it.....for decades.

Plus the species will gain recognition and protection once and for all. Which is what this is all about.....

But getting there is the hard part, do we continue supporting the anti kill crowd and their cool video and foot casts? Or do we turn the corner and start supporting organizations like the NAWAC that has a plan in place to give science what it wants?

I know where I stand on the issue.

I doubt they'd be protected - remember that mountain gorillas were discovered not so many years ago and look at how they've been treated by poachers, etc. 

We don't need to protect them, we need to protect their environment. They're doing a pretty good job of staying out of the crosshairs all by themselves. But that won't matter if they don't have anywhere to live. 

I understand this viewpoint. It is mine as well.

The thing that bothers me is: let's say that the species gets recognized. OK- will it then be a topic of public policy debate? Will government and industry really back off because there are Bigfoot living there? Won't we be dealing with the same derision only institutionalized?

I have to assume that the NAWAC has given this some thought...

Bipto-

You may have answered this in the past, but the answer may have changed in the last six months, due to continued observations.

How many different individuals have you identified?

Is this based on: Size? Color? Hair Pattern? footprint size? 

Cotter - the point is that we can't rely on regulatory agencies to protect anything - they talk the talk, but they don't deliver.