Out Of The Box Expedition Tactics

Well that is definitely out of the box! 

I've heard of them being used for all kinds of physical things like water, metals, oil.

• 4 weeks later...

go hiking into the woods au naturel. Stay off trails and avoid stinging nettles, devil's club, mosquitos, deer flies, ants, poison oak and poison ivy. 

The best idea is the old Leopard hunting trick.

5 people go into an area, one of them hides, but only 4 leave.

when the 4 leave they make a bunch of noise and trick the creature into thinking everyone left.

This tactic has worked for Leopard hunters, they will take 5 people into a blind, but only 4 leave the blind, the Leopard assumes everyone left.

what about if you pack in a "dummy". 5 real people come into the area, 4 leave but take out the dummy (maybe on a stretcher as if injured) as the "5th person".  the real 5th person stays behind in the tent or blind and waits. 

Then repeat in the opposite order, 4 people return with the dummy, pack up the dummy and leave with the real 5th person.

SSR Team

Statistically speaking, you are much better off driving a car around forested roads in forested areas, preferably with a history of sightings or even not in many cases, than you have camping, fishing etc if you want to see one.

In the State of WA, 24% of actual visual sightings are whilst driving.

That is more than camping, hiking and hunting combined, which are second, third and fifth. most common witness activity's for visual sightings.

Normal activity at home is nestled in between those.

We are up to 37% of all actual visual sightings being when the witness has been driving in the State of WA right now.

That's big numbers IMO.

34% across the entire database and continent.

is there a hypothesis or correlations why they are using the roads?  Looking for roadkill?  Easy travel path?  Hitchhiking?

@ BobbyO - The little effort I place in looking at such things does in fact correlate with your stated comment with a slightly different result but that may be in interpretation of the material.  My unofficial conclusion comes from 7-8,000 reports I read, sorted, and catalogued on a large spreadsheet and not anywhere as fine-tuned as what you guys do.

Nonetheless, you mentioned Sasquatch/ Bigfoot encounters or reports at or near some type of road account for 37 percent what are sixty three percent?  Where are the next greatest spots for Sasquatch/ Bigfoot encounters or reports?

The order in which I interpret my information: Residence, Hiking, and Motorist. Those three areas are the greatest points of origin for reports followed by Hunters, Campers, Farmers and Fisherman in that order.

@Zman1967 - Who knows, maybe they do it in the course of moving from point to point and if they find a little meal along the way is an opportunity cannot pass up. 

Edited by Gumshoeye

SSR Team

Actually Gum, that 37% isn't actually a Sasquatches stat, it's a stat regarding the description of what the witnesses were doing when they had a sighting. and the Sasquatches more often than not were crossing roads yes, but not all.

Of those sightings where the witness was driving, 74% of them are when the animal was crossing the road.

There's reports of them in rivers, in clearcuts etc etc but the witness just happens to be driving. 

go hiking into the woods au naturel. Stay off trails and avoid stinging nettles, devil's club, mosquitos, deer flies, ants, poison oak and poison ivy. 

And the burly men with the nets and straight jackets sent to find you....

Actually Gum, that 37% isn't actually a Sasquatches stat, it's a stat regarding the description of what the witnesses were doing when they had a sighting. and the Sasquatches more often than not were crossing roads yes, but not all.

Of those sightings where the witness was driving, 74% of them are when the animal was crossing the road.

There's reports of them in rivers, in clearcuts etc etc but the witness just happens to be driving. 

I've only got 22% in the northeast where the witnesses were driving; of those over 50% (50/94) of the Bigfoot seen were crossing the road - why?  19 were on, or close to, the road and going along the direction of the road. (This seems to happen more often, but not exclusively, during foul weather.)  

• Upvote 1

Introducing my own creation: The Guillotine Box

Everyone wants a body, but even if you can shoot one, rumor has it, his buddies will carry off the body and you are left with no evidence. So my plan is to at least secure some body parts. It starts with a very heavy duty metal box, estimated size would be 2-feet deep, about 12" across and about 18" tall, with a 9" opening. The box is sealed except for an opening on one end and a spring-loaded 154cm steel blade will trigger with 1000lbs of force. Then I would chain or cable it to a tree about 6feet high. Then I would start baiting the area and place an apple all the way back in the box.

Then when Mr. BF comes by and reaches into the box, the guillotine deploys cutting off part of the arm. I would NOT be anywhere close, as there is going to be one pissed off beast who will be bleeding out someplace in the distance, his buddies can then have the body, but I will have a hand and partial arm!

I would keep it on ice in a secret location so that the Govt does not make it disappear...

With a 9in opening, you may just find some idiots head in that box! If interested in these kind of traps, I remember reading a book or article about conservation officers from the DNR and what they have found left by poachers over the years. One was a metal bait drum filled with goodies to attract bears. They had set a tripwire attached to a large caliber rifle posted at the barrel so when the barrel was moved, BOOM. I'm not so sure anything like that is a good idea.

SSR Team

Cool Trog, what States are those specifically ?

I am no expert on BF research, but am trying to figure out how folks are conducting research (or what methods or strategies they are using).

To brainstorm out of box ideas, I needed to first understand what is in the box.

To pursue BF research, folks need to answer at least 5 key questions: where to go, when to go, who will go, what to do and how to do it?

I will not address the where, when, and who. 

The what to do and how to do it is what interest me (hopefully people know where the hot spots are and whether it is better to research at night or day).

The table below is a matrix of methods (not comprehensively exhaustive) that I have discerned from reading and from 3 BFRO expeditions that I have attended.

The matrix is broken down into two parameters:  the frequency of visits to the hot-spot by the researcher and the type of methods/practices used.

On the BFRO methods, I can only speak from my limited experience with two different approaches used.  While both used wood knocks and vocalizations, one leader did not want NV or Thermal Imagers used and wanted to instead pursue the less aggressive route of being quite or playing music.

What Habituators and Local researchers do was my first pass guesstimate based on what I have read. I am sure there is a diverse crowd out there with many different approaches.

But is any of these approaches fruitful and yielding evidence?

I have not seen any proper analytical study of what approaches work best.  I suspect that BFRO has a huge database from all their expeditions that they could analyze and extract how fruitful it was to wood knock and howl and what worked best.

NAWAC just published their monograph, but they did not analyze what conditions or methods were more likely to yield a sighting and they gave up on game cameras. Was it random?

I think random visits to hot spots is not very fruitful.  I think being present all the time (like NAWAC does during the summers) is the better approach.

Granted, for local researchers who need to work for a living that is not a feasible alternative.  So frequent and repetitive visits to the local hot spot is the next best option.

post-18859-0-76329800-1434817969.png

• Upvote 1

With a 9in opening, you may just find some idiots head in that box! If interested in these kind of traps, I remember reading a book or article about conservation officers from the DNR and what they have found left by poachers over the years. One was a metal bait drum filled with goodies to attract bears. They had set a tripwire attached to a large caliber rifle posted at the barrel so when the barrel was moved, BOOM. I'm not so sure anything like that is a good idea.

I do not know any hunters, but I am guessing they are smarter than that...