Is Finding Bigfoot...

Interested on everyone's thoughts on Finding Bigfoot's impact on the overall field of Bigfoot.  I think the the scenarios below are all angles one could lean towards...

1. The show has accomplished great things in adding popularity to the topic and increasing overall interest

2. The show has damaged the idea of bigfoot and the people who research it

3. The show has increased interest, but in the wrong way.  creating tons of people with "squatch eyes"

4. The show has taken legitimate sightings and encounters, even evidence, and unscientifically demonstrated their ability to prove or disprove in a trivial manner

Please keep BFRO thoughts aside, and just look at the show objectively.

Probably more good than bad.

Good.

Increased and frequent thought and discussion and enlighten millions to the broadness and commonness of reports etc.

Fun and or at least entertaining

Bad, some goofy ideas stated as fact by over by some enthusiastic big footers

Admin

Forrest, I agree with your four points. I would add that it has probably increased the number of incidents reported by 40-50% (uneducated guesstimate), at least to the BFRO. How long that will last is TBD, but I do think it has definitely increased BF awareness. Whether good or bad, that is TBD as well.

I have thought about this since it started, I'm inclined to say it's 60/40 to damaging the field, maybe a point or two more to the positive side.  To the positive the town hall bit shows how many folks have had some sort of monkee experience, but the idiotic things they do & in particular that two members often say pretty make the entire pursuit pretty tough for the everyday joe to buy...

Admin

I believe that the show "Finding Bigfoot" had an affect when it first came on, but with never really getting much evidence, I think the average person lost interest rather quickly. The total non believers, this show had no affect at all. As for the rest of the population which includes die hard Squatchers, Skeptics, and even Knowers, I believe the show is entertaining. Most of their tactics are pretty far fetched,IMO, but Like alot of members here on the forum, are suckers for anything Bigfoot. I don't expect much and Ranae really gets on my nerves, but I still watch all of the time. I am just that interested in the subject of Bigfoot, I am drawn to anything Bigfoot, like a Moth to a Flame.

On the negative side, I think that the show may be behind people returning vocalizations during research. Lots of knuckleheads out there.

• Upvote 2

"Finding Bigfoot" is like all shows about Bigfoot. You watch and the adrenalin starts to flow only to be let down by the end of the program.

Guest ewashguy56

I too, would say its done more positive than negative. Obviously, if it were not, I don't think they would have had 5 seasons worth of shows. Its entertainment not much more. But, as mentioned above in other posts, some of the methodology used is pretty bad. Esp. as it relates to trying to either draw in the creature or more than likely, scaring it further away. Ranae's bigfoot calls are more like screams!!!! It gets me laughing but still....

"I don't think they would have had 5 seasons worth of shows."

What season is the bachelorette on?

:-)

I love the show and the characters. I do wish they would stay in one place to do more in depth investigations,this would be a much better way to obtain evidence. I think the average person who hasn't done a lot of research on the subject thinks the show is stupid and all things bigfoot are hoaxes and I think the show promotes that thinking in those people.

I'm like WVF... a sucker for anything BF. 

I think it has raised awareness and had hoped it would make people have a more open minded attitude toward enthusiasts. Unfortunately, I don't think that has been the case. I don't really think I want to be likened to a MM or BoBo.  I'm actually more like Renae, except I don't deny that I believe in the possibility of an undiscovered bipedal ape/whatever it is roaming the woods - she may deny it, but I think she does.  But that could be because they pay her to be the non-believing skeptic, so she can't admit it... I don't know. 

I like Cliff. As nerdy as he comes across (It's cute how he always sounds like he is teaching an 8th grade science class) I think he is 100% an honest and a  good guy with good intentions.  Which probably why he has a good reputation within the BF community. But it's not about what I think about the individuals - I just threw that in there.

I think it has hurt in that more people are out in the woods calling and knocking, causing more misidentifications and human responses -causing calls and wood knocks to be less credible evidence now, IMO.

• Upvote 2

Its entertaining, but to someone who doesnt believe in BF, it just cements what they already have in their head, that bf dont exist its all a hoax.

i would go even further and say the show would turn a fence sitter into a non believer. i mean come on they never find ANYTHING,ever. Like there isnt one single episode were i can say , 'wow thats good evidence'. the only good part of the show is the town hall meetings and Bobo is just plain awesome.

Edited by ItsAsquatch

I think the show generated interest and hope at first, but never delivered "Finding Bigfoot".  Just my opinion, but I don't think this subject will ever extend beyond the personal experiences of a good number of witnesses.  People come and go, spending time and money to be "The one", but in the end, they come up empty handed with anything to present to the public...

BFF Patron

I'm like WVF... a sucker for anything BF. 

I think it has raised awareness and had hoped it would make people have a more open minded attitude toward enthusiasts. Unfortunately, I don't think that has been the case. I don't really think I want to be likened to a MM or BoBo.  I'm actually more like Renae, except I don't deny that I believe in the possibility of an undiscovered bipedal ape/whatever it is roaming the woods - she may deny it, but I think she does.  But that could be because they pay her to be the non-believing skeptic, so she can't admit it... I don't know. 

I like Cliff. As nerdy as he comes across (It's cute how he always sounds like he is teaching an 8th grade science class) I think he is 100% an honest and a  good guy with good intentions.  Which probably why he has a good reputation within the BF community. But it's not about what I think about the individuals - I just threw that in there.

I think it has hurt in that more people are out in the woods calling and knocking, causing more misidentifications and human responses -causing calls and wood knocks to be less credible evidence now, IMO.

To some extent the Animal Planet show has capped a lot of the rawness and novelty to getting responses to calls and such.   Heck, I fired off three daylight whoops or so on my most recent backpack trip in broad daylight just because the environment and acoustics were right.   And I know anybody nearby would have responded WTF if they were BF naive, not so much if a vet of the show.  

I have to laugh though, I recently discovered a male sooty grouse sound in the Olympics by recording and comparing and having someone on the forum post up the correct answer and then was able to correct a few backpackers that thought they were BF whoops shadowing them along the trail.  The sound IS a little disconcerting and hard to localize.   LOL. 

Edited by bipedalist

I think the good out weighs the bad. Realistically they will probably never get close enough to one to get real good footage or anything, but they will still turn up interesting evidence, and develop new knowledge in regards to population and habitat. Is it going to generate a lot of false reports, exaggerations, and people who only think they saw something? Sure it is. It will also encourage those who have seen something to speak up, when they see that others have seen it to. I am sure after the first season the cast got a feel for who was full of it, and who wasn't, and even though the show is entertainment, and more of an ongoing field study of reports, rather than real expectations of actual discovery, its still great to watch. I was speaking to one of the cast members not to long ago, and they expressed their surprise that these creatures really do seem to be closer to human habitation that they would have expected.