Congratulations ? Orang Pendek

BobbyO

SSR Team

Mods, apologies for Posting this here but i figured it may get a bit more exposure/interest if it stayed here for a while..

It seems that the Orang Pendek of Sumatra ( Indonesia, SE Asia ) is very nearly there, all bar the shouting, where Scientific acceptance is concerned..

Long live 2011 where unidentified Primates are concerened.. :)

http://www.scientificexploration.org/edgescience/edgescience_07.pdf

edgescience_07.pdf

A very good article, excellent find! The hair evidence was probably the most fascinating aspect of the article for me, I really enjoyed the layout of the "unknown" hairs against those of known species.

I wouldn't say congratulations are in order just yet...but it does appear that the study is gaining in credibility.

Very interesting, but clearly still isn't going to make the leap to a recognized species w/o a type specimen, just like our north american monkees. If this was good enough ol' Big Stinky would have been on the board long ago.

Plain & simple a dead what-ever-it-is in the back of a pickup truck is uniquivocal. At least this little runt wouldn't require a tractor with a bucket to load up...

Edited by NDT

If the Orang Pendek can be taken to this level without a holotype and just a few hairs and castings, things look pretty good for a certain other project...

"There can be very little doubt at this point that the creature we call orang-pendek exists."

There can also be very much doubt. I'm with SwissChris on this one.

They seemed to have very limited amounts of DNA extracted, That wont be the case over here from what I can tell. Is Edge Science a high profile publication?

SSR Team

It's just an article in a magazine about fringe science... nothing to be excited about IMO

It's hardly " Maxim " though Chris is it ??

http://www.scientificexploration.org/about_sse.html

SSR Team

They seemed to have very limited amounts of DNA extracted, That wont be the case over here from what I can tell. Is Edge Science a high profile publication?

It's published by these Guys & Girls..

====

The Society for Scientific Exploration (SSE) is a leading professional organization of scientists and scholars who study unusual and unexplained phenomena. Subjects often cross mainstream boundaries, such as consciousness, ufos, and alternative medicine, yet often have profound implications for human knowledge and technology.

We publish a peer-reviewed journal, host annual meetings, and engage in public outreach. While our Full members are professional or experienced scientists and scholars, Associate and Student memberships are available to everyone. Consequently, we have a diverse and active membership

Quoted from the article:

"I once thought that if you were to strip away the mythology

surrounding the creature, what you would be left with is es-

sentially a bipedal orangutan, possibly a successful genetic mu-

tation that had survived and bred in isolation from others of its

kind. (There are no orangutans for hundreds of miles form the

area where the hair samples were found.) I have also consid-

ered the idea that the orang-pendek is a completely new species

of primate, distinct and unique."

Just a quick question to discuss: Orangutans and Orangpendek (if they exist) live on the same island. Why should some orangutans branch off and become bipedal in the same habitat? In the case of the Sasquatch it could make sense as an adaption to cold, mountainous terrain, but here...?

SSR Team

Quoted from the article:

"I once thought that if you were to strip away the mythology

surrounding the creature, what you would be left with is es-

sentially a bipedal orangutan, possibly a successful genetic mu-

tation that had survived and bred in isolation from others of its

kind. (There are no orangutans for hundreds of miles form the

area where the hair samples were found.) I have also consid-

ered the idea that the orang-pendek is a completely new species

of primate, distinct and unique."

Just a quick question to discuss: Orangutans and Orangpendek (if they exist) live on the same island. Why should some orangutans branch off and become bipedal in the same habitat? In the case of the Sasquatch it could make sense as an adaption to cold, mountainous terrain, but here...?

That would be based on another assumption that the Orang Pendek was actually another " form " of Ornagutan & NOT a completely new Species right, that is distinct & unique ??

That would be based on another assumption that the Orang Pendek was actually another " form " of Ornagutan & NOT a completely new Species right, that is distinct & unique ??

Yes, that's how I understand the text. But I think it doesn't make sense that a group of orangutans split off (genetically) and become bipedal while others remain quadropeds in the same habitat. Or did it happen vice versa in Davies opinion? I think the "Homo flores" or "completely new species" theories make more sense.

Guest parnassus

"There can be very little doubt at this point that the creature we call orang-pendek exists."

There can also be very much doubt. I'm with SwissChris on this one.

I predict Ketchum and Paulides will publish their DNA paper in this magazine. Oops I mean journal.