Congratulations ? Orang Pendek

BobbyO

On another site, I proposed that the Orang Pendek was actually sightings of the Siamang. The Siamang is the largest type of Gibbon. It can reach 3 feet tall, which is one of the more common heights given to the Orang Pendek (OP). It is also dark haired with a naked face and hands, just like the Orang Pendek. If you google images of the OP many of them are passible images of a siamang. Many of the early reports come from Europeans not used to the jungle, and many reports are on hillsides or at night, which can make the critter look bigger. They are also primarily arborial, so they would not show up on trail cams, such as NatGeo and the CFZ people put out.

I think people got too focused on the Pendek being a relative of the Orangutan and ignored the obvious appearance similarities to the Lesser Apes... gibbons and Siamangs.

Siamangs...

800px-DPPP_5348.jpg

3733770969_fce4491ae8_o.jpg

Orang Pendek...

fortean_times_454_12.jpg

orangpendenk.jpg

Orang~Pendek~3~$28pencil$29~copy.jpg

Siamang or Gibbon messing with a dog...

Watch that little guy run on two legs.

Guest vilnoori

Yeah they sure are bipedal while on the ground, and it is amazing to watch. However I have read that large male Orangs also go bipedal and stay on the ground as they get too big to be easily arboreal. Something else to think about. However, stories and sightings of hairy little people exist in many more places than orangs or gibbons. There are native accounts even here, on the Pacific West Coast. India is also another location, as well as the Solomons.

Admin

PortlandMan, welcome to the BFF.

That's a great observation and I agree. Witnesses are probably misidentifying a known animal.