Puzzler To Me; Camping Encounters

Power isn’t defined by caliber and elephant guns come much smaller than .60-caliber.

My thought is the heart isn’t that deep, and a well placed pistol of sufficient velocity will penetrate to the heart of an upright animal. Something that stands upright (chest out) needs to have special defenses that protect it. When it’s upright there isn’t much to protect it’s heart; however, a bullet being a good enough example, it may penetrate the heart but that doesn’t mean the thing is going to die before killing you. A DRT (dead right there) shot really needs to be a CNS (central nervous system) shot. A heart shot is a wounded animal until it bleeds enough, and that may or may not happen fast enough when dealing with an injured giant chimp.

Isn't that why an eye shot may work over a chest shot?

Look at Patty. I can't see anything less than a bazooka putting her down. Her muscular chest, attached to heavy bones, would or could interfere with a chest shot being effective. :(

I don't want to lose any of you guys to an angry BF. :blink:

I forgot! Their arms are almost twice as long as ours.

How do you plan to survive while trying to get close for a chest shot when she can just reach out, and take you down?

Is a dead right there shot the eye shot, or a forehead shot?

With their muscles and bone density, I'd go for an eye shot...Less likely to hit and deflect due to bone density.

Edited by masterbarber

If you’re within arms reach, even arms twice the size of ours, you’ve probably already lost that fight. You’re too close.

Penetrating the heart would likely be of little consequence at that point. I think you could certainly kill one with a heart shot from a normal “magnum†pistol, but it doesn’t mean you wouldn’t be dead too.

If you can make an “eye†shot while standing close enough to do so, you’re a d*mn calm, unexcitable, person. Center mass with as many shots as you can is what I’d do. You’d kill just about anything that way, but maybe not quick enough.

Guest CaptainMorgan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

You can be puzzled all you want to, the rest of the folks are sound minded to be concerned with anything pummeling through their camp in the dark of night.

I've sat in the complete utter darkness in the middle of nowhere by myself before, and it takes some kahoonas to face an unknown threat on their home turf, especially when you know it could be something that finds you tasty!

There's no reason to not have a bajillion lumens on a flashlight to see what's up, but I perfectly understand why someone wouldn't want to see what was about to take their head off.

As far as I'm concerned, BF or anything else can have all the delicious delights they want around my camp :unsure: . . . . . o - v - e - r - t - h - e - r - e ----->

You are too cute, and I agree 100%. I did ask my soldier son about this, and he recommended certain different gauges of weapons and explained their fire power to me, but mostly I have *no* plans for camping, nor taking walks in the woods any time soon, but if I did, and I tried to talk my hubby into carrying enough firepower to bring down a BF, he would likely leave me home, which I would be totally happy with.. :rolleyes: I'm such a girly girl... :blush:

If you’re within arms reach, even arms twice the size of ours, you’ve probably already lost that fight. You’re too close.

Penetrating the heart would likely be of little consequence at that point. I think you could certainly kill one with a heart shot from a normal “magnum†pistol, but it doesn’t mean you wouldn’t be dead too.

If you can make an “eye†shot while standing close enough to do so, you’re a d*mn calm, unexcitable, person. Center mass with as many shots as you can is what I’d do. You’d kill just about anything that way, but maybe not quick enough.

Susi says:

Yikes, It does help to understand the truth, hopefully if I shot into the air *it* would *leave*.

And, of course, I would be leaving also.

Rather very quickly in the opposite direction.

As fast as humanly possible.

Who would believe me if I'm stopped for speeding if I tried to explain that I was running from a BF?

Hubby would have to bail me out of jail :huh:

BTW, I'm trained to be calm in an emergency, which encountering a BF would definitely be considered by me as an emergency. :D

I'm an RN, I was a good nurse, and I do keep my head in an emergency.

I would be shaking, but I would react correctly, but I'd try to avoid an encounter with any BF.

Shooting would only occur if I had no choice, and I would empty my weapon into it's face and head.

With their size and muscular build, I'd fear that chest or body shots may not stop the creature. :(

SusiQ, I do enjoy your posts., I really like that you can look at this stuff with a bit of humor. keep up the enjoyable work...

My personal philosophy is in most instances anything that goes "bang" & shoots something out the end is better than empty hands when one's life is on the line, if a person knows how to and is willing to use it. To stop something right then & there, size does matter, though...

As an aside, I know a few guys from Alaska, who swear by the portable electric bear fences for their camping security. Makes perfect sense to me.

Probably time to tell a camping story on myself. Back in the early 80's (before cell phones and civilian GPS) I was prone to disappear into our Badlands with a bow, pack, map, compass, and a handful of salted nut rolls (still my favorite hunting & cold camping ration) and stay out until I ran out of vacation or chow. Let me tell you, sharptail grouse cooked over a small fire & salted nut roll makes a fine meal. Every now & then I would arrow a deer or goat just to prove I was actually hunting. Family & wife/girlfriend hated this but I needed my hunting in that wild ground (still great but not near as wild with all the oil drilling & mountain bikers) like I needed air. But I digress...

I seem to people collect some of the bushiest characters you can imagine, and all are great friends once you get through the crust. One was & still is a Badlands cowboy/trapper/guide named Billy. At that time he had a little hole in the wall ranch that most homeless people would reject as unfit. No power, no running water, lots of dead things on the walls, and the horses would stick their heads in the window from the attached corral to say howdy over the morning coffee. the Little Missouri was a stones throw away, there were mule deer, goats, whitetails, bighorns, and elk. It was flippin' grand.

Anyway, the first night the first time Billy invited me out I was settled into my bag on what passed for a sofa for a couple hours shut eye before the morning's goat hunt. I was bowhunting and at that time it was illegal to carry a bellygun while bowhunting here, so I didn't have one with which was likely just as well (we can carry one now because of the cat population explosion over the last decade). this little piece of heaven was at the bottom of a canyon and once we turned the colemans off, it was flat out no kidding dark dark. I was sleeping pretty hard when something woke me up. I lay there listening to the Badlands night in that pitch dark trying to decide what had awakened me, when something landed on my head with a pretty good thump and as I yelled ran down the length of my body & jumped off my feet to the floor.

I came up off that sofa yelling bloody murder, which of course brought Billy up ready to repel boarders. Eventually we got a coleman lit and and I explained to Billy what had happened. I thought he was going to bust a gut laughing. When he caught his breath, he told me my attacker was one of the scads of pack rats that came out at night, and that a guy just gets used to them going about their business in the cabin. Man, was I embarrassed.

Stupid pack rats...

Edited by NDT

Da*n Rats is right! ROF, LOL, Thanks, I needed that! I believe that even the most hardened warrior would be startled by *something* running down their body. I would be, and I suspect hubby and anyone else would react the same. :o

At least you did not wet your britches, correct? :P:D

BTW, I'm going to investigate those portable electric fences. If we had something like that I may actually go camping again. Thanks dear one, and I sincerely appreciate your sweet :wub: comments about my postings.

Ace, There happens to be a funny thing about guns and me. I was blessed to have the ability to shoot well. I shoot better than hubby, but my soldier out shot me the last 2 times we went head to head. I was so proud of him! He takes after his momma.. :D Luckily he did receive his daddy's brains however! :rolleyes:

Admin

I hear you NDT, my girl is literally my cover girl... steady too. She's the ice queen, doesn't get excited unless we're in the bedroom :)

Edited by gigantor

Guest CaptainMorgan
BTW, I'm going to investigate those portable electric fences. If we had something like that I may actually go camping again.

Most of the time you just don't need it, unless you know you're going to be in real bear country.

I built one, except it's 60,000 volts, not 5k.

My last thoughts in life will NOT the ferocious chewing sound of part of my body.

OMG, If you aren't careful the last sound you hear will be ZZZAAPPPPP sizzleeeeeee!

That's too much!

What if you get up to go to the bathroom during night and forget about the fence? :blink:

Please do respond so I will know that you are at least thinking about some safety measures!

I hear you NDT, my girl is literally my cover girl... steady too. She's the ice queen, doesn't get excited unless we're in the bedroom :)

YIKES!!! TMI TMI!!! :blush:

Guest CaptainMorgan

Surely you don't mean to insinuate that I'm retarded.

But if really let's you sleep at night, it has a remote control and a jumbo LED on it to indicate ON.

Anyone that pees on a 60kv fence, well, it's probably your time to go.

I'm so thankful to hear that. When I read how high the voltage was I was worried for you. Yikes, I'm very thankful to hear about the safety features!

When I'm up at night camping I take hubby with me to the bathroom :blush: I'm afraid to go alone :rolleyes:

Edited by Susiq2

Kinad the bottom line, a wise person takes some basic precautions when camping. Some options are E-fences, firearms, bear spray. Whatever you choose practice with it. nowdays we have GPS, sat phones, and sat locatators. Take advantage of them, if camping wild country it's smart to use them. Never camp alone. Camp with a buddie. Pick your spot with an eye toward not just comfort, but security. If using a tent, have a plan to exit it quickly in case of an emergency, keep anything you need together, perpaps in a bag. keep your light where you can get at it instantly. Make sure you bring a tough one of about twice as many lumens as you think it should be. (personally I am a light & knife guy when camping, I bring a bunch) Same with your handgun if you use one. Consider using a shoe lace or piece of leather strip to make a lanyard tied to you. I even put fluorescent yellow grips on my S&W 44 Magnum, so it is easy to see if there is any light at all. If you're camping out looking for monkees, don't freak if you see one or one rolls in to see you to check you out at night, just have a plan of what you will do. Don't ever forget other animals that me be dangerous. Maybe learn a bit about what lives in the area before you go out. Keep your eyes open, animal sign isn't always as obvious as a BF track in the mud...

Really good thread with a lot of good info. I injoyed taking part in it...

NDT

Edited by NDT

Guest COGrizzly

I woke up to a black bear eating all the soap out of a dawn container once. I thought I kept a clean camp, never imagined they ate soap. I did wake out of a dead sleep...