Puzzler To Me; Camping Encounters

I woke up to a black bear eating all the soap out of a dawn container once. I thought I kept a clean camp, never imagined they ate soap. I did wake out of a dead sleep...

That must of been one sick black bear.

Guest Tsalagi

I always thought that went back to early childhood behavior where some people are just terrified of the dark and every sound in the dark. Hence no way even as adults will they unzip the tent and go confronting the noise maker.

That said I was told of a BF report made by two off duty cops who were camping together in a very remote area. I've fished out that way and let me tell you there is nothing out there. Not a business in the whole town and rarely do you see a car even on the highway that goes through there. From what I could tell these police officers cowered in their tent all night while an alleged BF threw rocks and sticks at their tent for hours. They complained about not getting any rest for all the ruckus, but never once mentioned going out to check on who was throwing things at their tent. ...And these were police officers... so I think this goes along the lines of my theory that some people have a leftover fear from childhood of things that go bump in the night. Probably something leftover in our id part of brain from caveman days and hiding from large predators.

Guest CaptainMorgan

Kinad the bottom line, a wise person takes some basic precautions when camping. Some options are E-fences, firearms, bear spray. Whatever you choose practice with it. nowdays we have GPS, sat phones, and sat locatators. Take advantage of them, if camping wild country it's smart to use them. Never camp alone. Camp with a buddie. Pick your spot with an eye toward not just comfort, but security. If using a tent, have a plan to exit it quickly in case of an emergency, keep anything you need together, perpaps in a bag. keep your light where you can get at it instantly. Make sure you bring a tough one of about twice as many lumens as you think it should be. (personally I am a light & knife guy when camping, I bring a bunch)

I converted a 100w halogen spotlight to a 3200 lumen HID spotlight, plus I have another 100w halogen. I have a bag full of road flares. An Air horn. Bear spray. A knife that would make Crocodile Dundee proud. I often have to camp alone, because I know few level headed people I trust to camp with and that are available in WA. Therefore I pack heavy and bring more than I normally need.

You see all those shows like "I shouldn't be Alive"? Even if someone is looking for them, they can't be found because they lack the ability to even send a signal. So a SPOT sat system may not be a bad investment.

I always thought that went back to early childhood behavior where some people are just terrified of the dark and every sound in the dark.... so I think this goes along the lines of my theory that some people have a leftover fear from childhood of things that go bump in the night. Probably something leftover in our id part of brain from caveman days and hiding from large predators.

Unless one has some morbid nihilistic lack of appreciation for their own life, or some gross over-estimation of their ability to conquer apex predators, they should be afraid and probably should be hiding from large predators. It's called self preservation.

Guest BuzzardEater

If you hear a BF it's because he wants you to. If your tent is being pebbled it is a benevolent warning.

Troublesome people are marched into water and drowned. Don't be troublesome. Don't threaten with weapons or otherwise up the ante. You are already in over your head, don't provoke!

Talking can defuse the situation. Seriously. If you think a BF is tormenting you, shout out an apology. Promise to leave at first light. Leave at first light.

My gun training, being Canadian, was all done with a .38 revolver. If I was confronted by a BF, I certainly wouldn't try for an eye shot. A six inch barrel is accurate up to thirty feet, if the user is able to aim. If the BF is that close, you are better off fouling your pants and seeming less edible. A bigger gun is just harder to handle. Using a shotgun or rifle would be suicidal, too. You are shooting at the decoy. A softball sized rock thrown by a BF would kill you instantly.

People that think you can bag a biggie are hopelessly misguided. It is akin to a six year old taking down an adult. Stay in the tent! Pretend you don't know what's going on. Beg if you have to.

Guest Tsalagi

If you hear a BF it's because he wants you to. If your tent is being pebbled it is a benevolent warning.

Troublesome people are marched into water and drowned. Don't be troublesome. Don't threaten with weapons or otherwise up the ante. You are already in over your head, don't provoke!

Talking can defuse the situation. Seriously. If you think a BF is tormenting you, shout out an apology. Promise to leave at first light. Leave at first light.

You say this as if this is proven fact. And in fact there is absolutely nothing that is proven scientific fact about Bigfoot. How could they know any given language? In the old days the BF's might have heard various tribal languages spoken, mainly because more people were out in the woods back then but doubtful their intellect is enough to differentiate and learn several languages. These days they might hear any language depending on if they are in areas with tourists. But do they just sit around all day and listen to people enough to learn a language? Doubtful. I'd say they have to stay on the move because a body that big requires a lot of calorie intake to support.

Who's to say throwing rocks is a threat? It could be to get you to leave because you are close to their home, children, fave hunting area...or it could be they want to make contact and get attention with some people or it could be just pranks.

My gun training, being Canadian, was all done with a .38 revolver. If I was confronted by a BF, I certainly wouldn't try for an eye shot. A six inch barrel is accurate up to thirty feet, if the user is able to aim. If the BF is that close, you are better off fouling your pants and seeming less edible. A bigger gun is just harder to handle. Using a shotgun or rifle would be suicidal, too. You are shooting at the decoy. A softball sized rock thrown by a BF would kill you instantly.

People that think you can bag a biggie are hopelessly misguided. It is akin to a six year old taking down an adult. Stay in the tent! Pretend you don't know what's going on. Beg if you have to.

Where and how in the world do you know all of that information?

BF drown * troublesome* people?

They actually force people to walk into the water and if they can swim or *float, do they push them down into the water to drown?

HTG, I have *never* heard about any behavior such as this related to the BF species.

I know that they scare people away, but what causes them to drown and or kill people?

This is *all* *New*to me.

Do other researchers see this also?

How many people do you believe BF kill a year?

Guest spunout

I don't get it either. After a long white knuckle night, you must need to shovel a lot of sh!t just to get out of the tent. Better to drop it outside, no?

Better to park it at home, no?

I just could *not* help myself.... :rolleyes:

Being drowned is so *not* on my list of things to do.....especially by a BF. Of course, I would be dead from a heart attack well *before* BF could march me anywhere, much less into the river. :blush:

BTW, I *can* swim. Do they hold their victims under the water? :blink:

If the BF is that close, you are better off fouling your pants and seeming less edible.

You made me snort laugh. :blush: My BF asked what was so funny. He didn't get it. That's crazy good stuff right there.