• Announcements

• masterbarber

T shirt fund drive   07/17/2018

norseman has designed a t shirt and started a fund drive on custom ink. He is going to split the proceeds between the BFF and Project Grendel.  "We all owe this website a tremendous debt of gratitude. Our community and history would not exist without it. As far as the Project Grendel proceeds, I would like to see it go towards the purchase of a thermal scope."
      -norseman     https://www.customink.com/fundraising/sasquatch-hunter
MikeZimmer

Mangani's Bigfoot Maps

22 posts in this topic

The SSR is also useful, but limited at this time - for example searching Pennsylvania yields about 40 results; there are 100 in the BFRO database along.  Searching Vermont yields 20 encounters; there are almost 3 times that number.

It's limited because the data doesn't magically jump into the database and has to be added manually to yield the results we want.

People have to do, it's as simple as that.

The SSR is the ultimate database, I can assure anyone of that and will explain to anyone anytime of how and why that's the case but to get full use out of it we need manpower, we need hours, we need people to have the foresight to understand the potential of what a master database that combines all other databases can give to Sasquatch research.

Why anyone would look at the SSR, understand it's workings then continue to work separately from it just beggars belief in my eyes as I simply can not understand why they'd do that.

It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

This isn't directed at anyone specifically by the way, it's just a general observation from me so apologies for quoting you Trog but your post just happened to be the one I'm quoting ( I know how much time and effort you put in ).

We are crying out for more man power to add data that will then give us the capability to give researchers analysed statistics and trends at the click of a mouse on a wide range of search functions from thousands of reports divided up into lots of different areas such as geographical locations, seasons, months, time of the day, elevations, creature behaviour, creature colour, witness activity, just about anything.

I have the capability to professionally analyse this database but haven't done so and only drib drab things out from WA as it's a State that I finished as it had the most data available and I added over 500 reports which is a decent sized data set even if I'd love more.

I'm not going to utilise the people I have access to yet as we simply haven't finished adding data and we desperately need the help of you guys to do that.

I'm going to give you some stuff over the next couple of days to give people an idea of what the SSR is capable of so please, if anyone gets excited by what I share, please think about helping to contribute to what we are doing.

If for example we had 4 of us that were capable of giving just an hour per week to this, we could add around 100 reports per month between us.

If for example we had four of us that were capable of spending 2 hours per week..................

You get the picture.

Hi Randy -

The work is done until there is more data.  

The vast majority of the reports, over 90% by my estimate, from the Cascade range fall between Aug 15 and Sept 15.   I thought I was onto something new 'til I read Henry Franzoni's book ... son of a gun, he found the same pattern independently.    The last 10 percent seem to be pretty random roughly reflective of how many people are in the woods at any given time.

MIB

And unfortunately there won't be more data until people add it hence my previous post so if you're interned MIB please shout and myself and Gigantor will get you started.

With regards to the "over 90% estimate", I'm not seeing that for the WA State reports in the system.

How did you get to that figure if you don't mind me asking ?

Based on 315 reports from the WA Cascades ( split by the I-90 ) here's what we haves here seasons are concerned and that month window you speak of would obviously be summer where this chart is concerned.

post-136-0-52895700-1419685286.jpg

Mangani got his data directly from the BFRO and other sources...  the BFRO now releases the data to the public, it's on their website.

But how good is that data?  In more recent reports, the location indicates "exact location removed at witness's request" and I've encountered several pins or boxes on the BFRO website that clearly are not where the incident occurred if you believe the report (e.g., report states encounter happened north of Route 666, pin is south of Route 666).  Anyway, the only point that I was exploring is whether Mssr. Mangani's maps rely upon  a long list of data points he's been given/found or whether he vets each location.  I have to believe its the former.

The vast majority of the reports, over 90% by my estimate, from the Cascade range fall between Aug 15 and Sept 15.   I thought I was onto something new 'til I read Henry Franzoni's book ... son of a gun, he found the same pattern independently.    The last 10 percent seem to be pretty random roughly reflective of how many people are in the woods at any given time.

At the same time, I'm open to more conventional ideas IF they align with, and account for, rather than conflict with, the existing data.

MIB, 

Have you further parsed the data by year or decade?  What I mean is, would it be significant if the August/September encounters were in one area in the 1960s, then either further south or north in a following decade?  I believe that would be similar to pre-agricultural human patterns, where a group exhausted a food source then moved on.  

It's limited because the data doesn't magically jump into the database and has to be added manually to yield the results we want.  

This isn't directed at anyone specifically by the way, it's just a general observation from me so apologies for quoting you Trog but your post just happened to be the one I'm quoting ( I know how much time and effort you put in ).

Bobby O, 

Not a problem.  It's funny because it looks like my idea to build a database was occurring to me at about the same time y'all were knocking together the SSR.  I was well down the road on mine before I finally became a premium member and had access to the SSR.  It was time-consuming to double enter reports into my database and the SSR, although that by itself is not the reason that I will no longer contribute.  

Wag,

Offer-acceptance-delivery  -  where's my hundred smackers?  :D

And unfortunately there won't be more data until people add it

Washington has almost 600 (589 as of this morning) published reports from BFRO and many more from other BF research organizations.    Why do you only include 315?   The bottom line is I think our purposes are different enough that the same methodology does not produce viable results for both.   I think my baby was in your discarded bathwater.  :)  

So, when I say your comment above is untrue, for me, I mean it.  There are new reports coming in all the time.  I don't need the advanced analysis to find what I'm looking for.   I commend the effort but when it is done it has eliminated too much data that is relevant to MY needs.

MIB

Edited by MIB

Wag regarding Colorado, I found something a few years back that I'm going to write up much better in the not too distant future.

Here's a summary anyway.

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/topic/49277-consistency-in-sighting-reports/page-6?hl=%2Bcolorado+%2Bsprings#entry873812

Great, yea, I was looking at those Elk maps. Bighorn sheep would also be a good map to get. Basicly, its N. of 24, and down around Canyon City area.

So, when I say your comment above is untrue, for me, I mean it.

Bobby_O:

Apologies.   Rereading ... I missed some words and it won't let me edit now.   "For want of a nail a shoe was lost ..." etc.   What I posted could be really offensive.    What I meant to say:

So, when I say your comment above is untrue, for me, I mean it is untrue for my purposes.    In other words, data *I* find useful for my needs continues to come in.  

MIB

Edited by MIB