Bigfoot Tv Shows

I like to watch some of the better Bigfoot shows on TV like documentaries made by the Discover channel. I think they did the one on Dr Meldrum, "Sasquatch Legend meets science". This was a very good documentary. However there are some not so good Bigfoot shows out there. I even like "Finding Bigfoot" but i just watched what has to be the worst and dumbest Sasquatch show on TV. It is called "Mountain Monsters" on the Discover America channel. This show is all about a bunch of dumb rednecks with guns running through the woods like idiots. I'm amazed they are allowed to have guns  and even more amazed they have not shot each other or someone else. The combined IQ of this group would not equal a moron. That and it is very obvious they fake scenes of so called Bigfoot throwing things and such but you never see anything really, It is so bad it really quite funny. I get a good laugh out of each episode. The last one I watched, one of the dumb rednecks set his own ass on fire, it was priceless. If your looking for a good laugh this show is great stuff, if you are looking for real evidence keep looking!

Guest Crowlogic

I decided to watch the entire Finding Bigfoot series and so far watch about half of it.  The most telling thing against Finding Bigfoot is that they accept nearly all of the places they go as being genuine and or good habitat.  The other thing is that no amount of field procedures ever results in bigfoot.  Effectively they have learned nothing about the animal or how to actually capture the animal in some meaningful way that makes the search a successful one.  

That other thing Mountain Monsters and Alaska Monster Hunters is pure stupid but I'm sure if you're 13 or deep enough in the sticks idiots like that can seem like rough cut heroes or something.  My guess is that they go charging around with unloaded guns and are most likely following a script.  But they do present a great image of modern stupid yahoos.

At the other end we have Jeff Meldrum and that contingency but there isn't much being produced from that end either.  I've said it before but I'll say it again that bigfoot isn't as much about the meager potential of it's reality as it is about the out of proportion hopes and beliefs that it is.

The best thing about Finding Bigfoot is that they have proved what undoubtedly doesn't work.

And Mountain Monsters! The guns are surely loaded with blanks, since no one has died on there yet. I thought it was a comedy for several episodes.

I'm sure we all agree that Finding Bigfoot won't ever yield anything of significance. It has however raised the profile of the subject and brought our beloved obsession/hobby into the public domain. This has its pros and cons of course but hopefully the sightings databases will swell with newly aquired data from folks who are now much more confident to come forward than before.

Agreed Sas! Mountain Monsters is not to be taken seriously. The Appalachian's have got so many cryptids they need to call these guys in to carry out some population control!

Guest sixxgunner

I watch that mountain monsters just to see what happens next! Kinda like rubber necking at a accident on the highway, I can't turn it off! LOL

The thing that killed it for me with Mountain Monsters is the fact that the lead character and at least two of the sidekicks are actual character actors that I've seen on other programs and in movies.  That right there told me it was hogwash and, after seeing their promos, I never looked at an episode.

As MarkGlashgow, mentions, these shows have helped bring interest to the subject of Bigfoot. In my opinion, Finding Bigfoot has been the most influential in introducing people to the subject matter.

However; is it the right kind of interest and what price are we paying? Thanks to shows like FInding Bigfoot, there are now tens of thousands of new Bigfoot "fans." However, most of them do not subscribe to this forum or other forums like it. Therefor, the information they're getting is all from Matt Moneymaker and this is rather limiting.

I personally don't enjoy the show since I know they'll never find a Bigfoot and eventually, this will cause viewership to decline and the show will be cancelled.

Hopefully, this will cause them to step up their game and find something of more substance to show us. That being said, this show has already lasted much longer than I imagined. 

Personally, I miss the old Monsterquest shows. I really enjoyed them.

I always liked the Destination Truth series because it dealt with all types of monsters but similar to finding BF.  But the Monsterquest was another good series that I enjoyed also. 

Montain monsters and the alaska series are too over the top and way to staged.  Killing Bigfoot is better than these 2 but just barely.

I really like Cryptid: the swamp beast.  That one kept me coming back for more and I even made sure I recorded it so I could watch it.

Television exists to make money. I don't know how they've managed to label some of this stuff "Reality TV" but they have, and it has really run the gamut from the mildly annoying to the patently absurd. But it only lasts if it makes money. First, last, and always.

I've probably watched all of the shows at least once. Most only once, but all at least once.

I guess I got sour on TV and the media in general due to having to work with their "crime beat" reporters over the years. You learn very quickly that truth is nowhere near their first priority, and that there are some egos involved with some of those folks that should require oversize permits for transporting over the highways...

Television exists to make money. I don't know how they've managed to label some of this stuff "Reality TV" but they have, and it has really run the gamut from the mildly annoying to the patently absurd. But it only lasts if it makes money. First, last, and always.

"Reality" TV is more of a concept now than actual reality.  These shows are no more reality than, say, "Galaxy Quest".  If reality shows portrayed actual reality, it would bore our socks off.

Guest Taylor

I watched a couple of episodes of Mountain Monsters and was initially excited about the show.  Here was a group of heavily armed guys setting traps and hunting for Bigfoot.  Surely they will catch one, especially since they seemed to find evidence and have encounters each episode.  Then I realized, they spent the whole episode looking for bigfoot, and as soon as they had an encounter they would all run away scared.  It also started to dawn on me how cartoonish each of the characters were.  It is entertaining, though. It's amazing to see how many bigfoot tv shows there are now.

Edited by Taylor

Guest Crowlogic

I watched a couple of episodes of Mountain Monsters and was initially excited about the show.  Here was a group of heavily armed guys setting traps and hunting for Bigfoot.  Surely they will catch one, especially since they seemed to find evidence and have encounters each episode.  Then I realized, they spent the whole episode looking for bigfoot, and as soon as they had an encounter they would all run away scared.  It also started to dawn on me how cartoonish each of the characters were.  It is entertaining, though. It's amazing to see how many bigfoot tv shows there are now.

All one has to do is take the learning experience from that TV show and apply it to the bigfoot issue at large and the it can be seen for the farce it is.

If you are serious about this topic, you don't waste time on those shows, and if you just HAVE to watch them, you do it with some awareness of what they are. Not science, not comprehensive information, not adding to the knowledge base (much). Sells a lot of soap though. Me, I don't need any soap. 

I should add as well: If you are using your impressions of those programs to extrapolate some greater commentary on the real issues that need examining, you are really yawing far wide of the mark, in my opinion.

Edited by WSA
  • Upvote 1

If I had 100% confirmation that Sasquatch existed? I'd still have zero confidence these shows could prove anything.