Finding Bigfoot Has Been On The Air For 5 Years. It Should Be Called Not Finding Bigfoot.

Guest Taylor

BFF Patron

Personally I will not be satisfied until a Finding Bigfoot show features Ranae being picked up by a male sasquatch and taken off to become his bride. Ranae seems very respectful of Native American legends up to the point where they discuss BF then she assumes Native Americans cannot tell the difference between bears and hairy ape things carrying off young women.

I think (boy, I hope!) the problem here is the incessant "scientific" (IT ISN'T) need to be "skeptical" ...and possibly the network coaching Ranae to be The Skeptic, as some sort of sop to credibility.

I was hoping it would be more or less obvious that, if one is considering the animal even possible, THEN IT IS!, and it simply isn't logical to presume Eyewitness's Sensory Systems Suddenly Went Haywire! barring clear evidence that that was the case.

This is my problem with "scientific" training.  Science degrees tend to be based on the ability to absorb and regurgitate canon; anything outside canon is automatically consigned to Anything Possible Is More Possible Than This.  A true scientist would know that this simply isn't the case.

Edited by DWA

Guest ewashguy56

Personally I will not be satisfied until a Finding Bigfoot show features Ranae being picked up by a male sasquatch and taken off to become his bride. Ranae seems very respectful of Native American legends up to the point where they discuss BF then she assumes Native Americans cannot tell the difference between bears and hairy ape things carrying off young women.

thank you for my afternoon chuckle!!! :fan:

I think we have Mountain Monsters to thank for the Finding Bigfoot show becoming more serious. Two episodes into the season and they have not done anything like electric guitars and signing children.

In absence of anything better, I am liking the show more, also I agree about the Town Hall meetings being the best part of the shows, they need to have 20-30 minutes of that instead of the next-to-useless night investigations and solo camp-outs..

Whoever is writing Renae's scripts is a complete idiot, someone who is NOT adept at critical thinking and is obviously more into TV sit-coms. On the last night's show - the Florida trip, she choose to dispute the witness because who said the bigfoot ran off through thick brush instead of a game trail, then further bashed Matt & the witness by saying they "speculated" on why it went thru the thick brush, when she clearly "speculated" that a bigfoot would take an easy path over going thru thick brush...!

Reminds me of a song: "Just walk away Renae" and grow your hair out, heck Bruce, err Caitlyn Jenner has longer hair than you...!

Edited by Mythos

WRT Ranae disputing the veteran's clear recall of the direction the creature took and how far it traveled before he lost sight, reports frequently have Sasquatch bulling their way through underbrush that is virtually impenetrable to a human, evidencing little more inconvenience than strolling a game trail. Renae herself walked the same path with little difficulty and appeared to cover no more than 20 or 30 feet before the gentleman reported she had reached the point where the Skunk Ape disappeared. I don't blame him for displaying some anger when she as much as called him a liar to his face rather than expressing her opinion a bit more diplomatically.

As far as the creature being observed by multiple witnesses from the road, that incident was the subject of one of the most interesting ongoing threads in my time on the BFF. While the cell phone photos and video we saw were of typical quality for the source, there was obviously something out of the ordinary to draw that many people to pull off the road. The best evidence is likely in the hands of the lady shown in the video with a fairly long telephoto or zoom lens who, to the best of my knowledge, has never been located by anyone on this forum. That incident was covered in depth by Stacy Brown jr. who provided regular video updates to the BFF over the course of his investigations. The only outlier was the gentleman who took the video reporting on the hogs with broken legs. I'm sure that wasn't mentioned in the original "Myakka Skunk Ape" thread, though Stacy did find remains of hogs in his treks.

MM is definitely an accident waiting to happen; first encouraging their Amazon guide to provoke a strike by the Fer-de-Lance, then risking everyone's life at the controls of Stacy's swamp buggy. Some insurance company must be making a mint providing health and liability insurance for the show. Was it Matt who threw the boomerang that struck Bobo in the ankle while they were in Oz? That injury still plagues him to this day.

Too many people don't know how to vet the things that scientists say, largely because scientists themselves have been raised saying the wrong things about science, and brought up generally in the narrow grooves of canon.

Ranae should really know better than to take the approach of basically denying people their experiences.  It's not scientific in the least.

BFF Patron

My experience with BF and human trails is that they as rule do not use them.    I theorize it is part of their human avoidance protocol.     I have found 4 footprints now where BF stepped on a trail margin stepped across the trail, and continued off on the other side.     So the fact that the BF did not use the trail, stay in sight longer, and put itself if the position where the human could more easily follow it is not at all surprising to me.     They seem to assess the amount of cover and head for it and following a trail is not doing that.  

Airdale I thought exactly the same thing when I saw that woman with the long lens on the DLSR.   She very well may have a much better picture than the cell phone pictures.   The problem is she is probably not into BF at all and has no idea what the importance of a good picture of one is.   Other than posting ads in newspapers I would have no idea how to contact someone like that.    

I have always loved when you watch these kind of shows and they are talking to local's or natives of the area who spend their lives in the woods. How the scientists or experts are so sure that they must have seen something else. That they must have seen another animal and must be confusing it. You know because a person who relies on the woods for life knows nothing about what is running around in there. While a person who is just there for a few days, months, etc, just arrived in the area knows so much more than they do. Yet when they need to get around in the place they just arrived they hire one of the locals to be a guide as to keep them safe. So they can know what is safe and what isn't in the same wilderness. 

That and how the experts will say a large omnivore could not possibly live in the area as there is not enough food for them. Yet than in the same breath they state there are such animals as bears in the area. 

Critical thinking skills are in major decline; and we see that with this topic every single day.  Most "scientists" learn canon and practice it largely in armchairs.  The field is the big test; and when the field and something outside canon coincide, well...major blow-itsville.  Ranae.   :fan:

IMO Finding Bigfoot is just a show for entertainment and nothing more. Behind the cameras there are about a half dozen or so vehicles and a dozen or so people standing or walking around when they are filming the re-creations. 

Before the film shoot Ranae apologized to me saying she has to act skeptical. Just as the other guys have to act as bigfoot experts. After the film shoot she told me about her possible bigfoot encounter she had when her and her partner were in a tent.

As for the eyewitness accounts unless you are at the townhall meeting you don't get to hear the whole story because of all the editing.

Well, it's one thing being "the skeptic," and it's another thing having to apologize for what the producers are telling you to do...particularly when the show could be so much more entertaining with proper skepticism.

Guest ewashguy56

The next new show has them going to South Carolina to follow up on some sighting reports. I can't recall, but I don't think they have been to this state, yet.

BFF Patron

That scripted thing is problematic to me.     Supposedly the cast has had issues with the producers on scripting and we were assured in some off show comments that the show is not scripted.   But then we hear that Ranae is just playing to the script with her hard core skeptic thing.    So I am a little hazy on the line in the sand that the cast had with the producers that caused them to nearly revolt at one point.     I suppose it could be that the producers wanted to move the show towards the Mountain Monsters format and start creating encounters.   I guess when the show ends we can find that out from Cliff or whoever else will talk what went on.     

Woodslore, I think you are talking about the Eastern University female biologist that on one of the BF specials stated that an animal as large as BF could not exist in the PNW forests because of the harsh environment and of lack of food.    I came right out of my chair at that comment.     She seems to ignore the fact that bears are omnivores and  pretty much the same size.   Even large herbivores like elk make it through the winters relaying totally on vegetation for food.    

It boggles, really, particularly as scientists' ecosystem models presume that what is getting eaten is getting eaten *by the things they presume exist,* and the population estimates are based on that.

In other words, some of your bears and elk and mountain lions and bobcats and coyotes are really sasquatch.   :aikido:

Quote:

"So I am a little hazy on the line in the sand that the cast had with the producers that caused them to nearly revolt at one point."

To the best of my memory of the episode in question, something large was spotted on a FLIR near the tree line of a meadow in which a number of deer were grazing. The show then went to the typical cliff hanger exit for advertising and when it returned, there was no mention of the thermal image from the end of the previous segment, which turned out to have been a horse oriented head towards the FLIR. The cast was upset, believing the final edit tended to suggest the therm image may have been a Sasquatch and the find kept from the audience for some reason. Evidently there was a meeting of the minds on the matter because while the cliff hanger exit is still used, the identification of the image is always disclosed at the start of the following segment. To my way of thinking that speaks well of the cast's integrity.