Area X Presentation/ Bob Strain

norseman

I still have trouble comprehending how an 18 inch dbh healthy black walnut can be whipsawed to break below bh? But large BF are said to be strong, just not seeing a chimp-sized fellow pulling that off.BTW guess which hardwood is number 8 in strength on the janka index? Granted a D-9 dozer didn't hit that thang so what did?

the picture proved it was broken as advertised, why did it break? I know zilch about hardwoods........

Folks, we may be missing the forest for the trees here when a possible answer to one of the great and frequently disputed mysteries in all of Bigfootery is right in front of us! I direct your attention to the following excerpt from the WWF report that's been bandied about in this thread:

Biological Distinctiveness 
This ecoregion contains distinctive freshwater communities. The Ouachita and Boston Mountains also were minor Pleistocene refugia. The ecoregion is also home to an endemic earthworm, Diplocardia meansi. Restricted to the drier soils of Rich Mountain, this worm is the second largest known earthworm in the United States and is bioluminescent. When tweaked or shocked the worm secretes a fluid that glows in the dark (Robson and Allen 1995).

The peak of Rich Mountain is just over five miles east of the Arkansas-Oklahoma line, and I've yet to read anything even suggesting that Wood Apes care a whit about human political boundaries. And what's five miles to one of our hirsute forest friends anyhow, a little warm up before keeping Kathy, Bob, Brian and friends from a good nights sleep with a nocturnal rock concert? So where am I going with this, you may ask?

This may explain the oft reported phenomenon of eye glow! Is it possible that the Ouachita Wood Apes (what a great team name that would be) are engaged in Bigfoot barter? They could be making Diplocardia meansi gathering trips on a regular basis, returning to Area X and thence distributing them to their cone domed cohorts continent wide. That may also explain their year round domicile in the valley; it may actually serve as the national hub for UBX  (United wood-Booger eXpress, of course). This opens up a veritable plethora of new avenues of research for dedicated Squatchologists everywhere. Just for starters, perusing data bases to determine if there are any patterns to reported eye glow that may suggest possible Skunk Ape Silk Road Analogues. And how do the creatures actually utilize the biggish wigglers for illumination; is it a dietary adaptation, do they drape them over those Brobdingnagian brows and do a face palm, or could it be as simple as tilting the head back, holding the eyelid open and tweaking, a kind of Momo Murine?

Far be it from me to hog all the vast possibilities now before us. Have at it my friends, hopefully the servers can handle the traffic increase! You're welcome. 

Ok, we are turning over a new leaf today, and not going to re re re hash the "no proof" argument.

Sure we are.  Kill one and end the debate. Of course you can't , Mythical creatures don't  exist. That's  to bad.

Thanks Airdale!

And yes Rockape - the document is pretty easy to find.

You cited an undated WWF web page as a scientific source in your presentation?

Were you simply attempting to give it the 'feel' of a scientific presentation?  

I was busting my butt looking for a scientific paper, and it turns out to be a web page from a non-profit group...

One can and many often do, cite webpages in scientific papers. You can easily find that reference, plus many others, in the Ouachita Project Monograph found here: http://woodape.org/index.php/news/news/48-news/248

No comment on this post. I am quite sure  Bigfoot does not exist.  I am a scientist.  I do however believe  in Kathy  and her research. 

Thank you very much  for the interaction.

Ok, we are turning over a new leaf today, and not going to re re re hash the "no proof" argument.

Sure we are.  Kill one and end the debate. Of course you can't , Mythical creatures don't  exist. That's  to bad.

Thanks for being respectful and honoring my wishes in my thread, and enjoy our forums.

Bye.

Now? Can we have our thread back? We really could care less about your theory that "no forest 100 years ago equals no wood apes"........

I'm not bringing that up.  You are.

I'm asking about the citation in the video.  

Now? Can we have our thread back? We really could care less about your theory that "no forest 100 years ago equals no wood apes"........

I'm not bringing that up.  You are.

I'm asking about the citation in the video.

Which as OP and NOT a member of the NAWAC? I cannot help you with. I gave you what I thought was your best shot at getting your answer, which was calling the Ouchita NF.

Not going to address this again.

BFF Patron

Interesting about the large glowing earthworms.  Gotta wonder how that adaptation serves them?  As to whether BF harvests night crawlers or worms of various types I have never heard of any evidence of this but in digging for roots and shoots you gotta think they are opportunistic for salamanders, grubs and worms.  Salamanders make up a larger percentage of biomass in the southern Appalachians than a lot of other stuff would think same holds true for Ouachitas.  

Edited by bipedalist

I sent a link to the video and a link to the paper to my sister in NY to look at. She is a scientist. Taught at Harvard. Now shes a professor in NY. I have commented to my family now and then my thoughts on the big guy, but have only been met with blank stares. I am hoping if she reads the paper, she may have a comment or two..or three. She teaches the scientific method to pre-med students, among other things..

The rocks and the sightings of are little value in their quest for proof.

Maybe they should be looking in places where they aren't having sightings or rocks thrown at em, eh?

Has anyone claimed this is proof anyway?  You interjected that, why? 

• Upvote 2

Guest OntarioSquatch

The sightings were what lead them to find that location in the first place. The thrown rocks helped them figure out that they were in the right place.

Edited by OntarioSquatch

Maybe they should be looking in places where they aren't having sightings or rocks thrown at em, eh?

Because he is a denialist.......

Discoveries in the world just spontaneously HAPPEN.............. they just fall from the sky like manna!!!!

Slogging through jungles or over mountain ridges are uneccesary, you just sit at home eating cheetohs waiting for the nat geo special to come on at 8.

Absolutely not. Perfect places to look. I interjected because it is not proof. 

Because he is a denialist.......

Discoveries in the world just spontaneously HAPPEN.............. they just fall from the sky like manna!!!!

Slogging through jungles or over mountain ridges are uneccesary, you just sit at home eating cheetohs waiting for the nat geo special to come on at 8.

I am a scientist who needs  concrete proof. I have seen very little since 1967. This is 2015. Where is the specimen ?

By, the way I have spoken with Kathy and respect  her  and applaud  her efforts and  research.  Not a denialist, but a realist.  Not into fantasy  and folklore. 

Thanks for posting the video link Norseman. I enjoyed Bob Strain's presentation about their research and experiences.