"bigfoot Captured" On History Channel

david75090

It's a real head scratcher for me why Meldrum and Bindernagel would allow themselves to be on a show like this. It begs a question which brings to a place I don't want to go. In my opinion, the last part about the cage and the singing Squatch is beneath personal dignity for anyone serious about sasquatch.  What clear-thinking person would want their professional reputation associated with the likes of that?

The squatch trying to get out by shaking the cage made me laugh. I said to myself that a really enraged squatch would have torn that cage apart in a New York minute.

^^^You gotta be kidding me?

Nope, they had Bigfoot in a big cage and a big obvious chain and lock to keep the door shut.  After they used their hunting rifles to fire the tranquilizer darts into bigfoot (so they could get DNA samples and such), they all went to sleep in their tents without 1) anyone double- or triple-checking the big lock on the big chain on the big cage holding the bigfoot was locked and 2) slept through the night without keeping any security on what would likely be a very ticked off and dangerous animal that could rip them all to shreds.

There was a heated argument over who forgot to lock the cage - it sort of went:

Who let the Bigfoot out, Who, Who, WHO?

To the defense of what research they showed. This was a "directors cut" according to info on dvr.

It was sliced and diced ginsu style. There was even a thrown in segment that had been used over and over about the yeti scalp and all that misc footage.

The cage segment stuff was obviously what was "new" from the dramatic edge. And the 3d meldrum and copter stuff from the research side.

As far as I can see It's all played out . Look on youtube or IMD for bigfoot movies lost footage type. It's littered with them. Some pretty decent. Some awful.

From the john q public side It doesn't one bit matter whether it exists. That there is a bigfoot....

No better analogy than jumped the shark...

Watched a little over an hour of it and deleted it from my DVR. Very correct in stating it's not even worth broken ankle time!!!!

I believe my sentiments are similar to what Wiiawiwb may have been alluding to in regards to Meldrums motivation. It makes me wonder if he entered the field of Bigfoot study sincerely and is now going along for the fame and fortune.

I suspect this will get its on thread but here is statement from Dr Squatch. I cannot tell you if it authentic or not. (I found it on the internet)

To head off the flood of emails and phone calls, let me reiterate that as a guest interviewee, I had nothing to do with the overall plot or creative content of this production. I do my best assess the intentions of a production company when I am approached, an encourage them to build upon credible information, but occasionally their enthusiasm is feigned and assurances are worthless. Its always a bit of a crap shoot in this business. Do you try to put the best effort forward and at least make a meaningful contribution in some way, or do you refuse to appear and have the entire production be without merit.

I haven't seen the program (I don't have cable) so I can't comment on particulars. From the teaser I got an inkling that there was some dramatic liberty taken creating a what-if scenario. I have no knowledge of a "capture" -- no indication of samples being tested, etc. Even in the drone sequence I am told they gave the impression we had a hit on a biped that we investigated looking for sign. A biped yes -- one of the production assistants. It was an exercise to demonstrate what the drone could and could not do. A useful exercise by my account.

Anyway -- take what you can from it, and have a chuckle over the remainder.

-Don Jeffrey Meldrum

The serious science sections seemed so disconnected from the dumb dramatization drivel that it felt like Dr. Meldrum gave the interviews knowing that something was up, but not quite sure what it was.  I will say this, there is nothing in the show that suggests that he was answering, or weighing in on, or supporting the dramatization sections.  It just felt disjointed, like two different shows on two different channels and you were catching sections of each whilst channel surfing.

I don't think Meldrum turns down any TV show with Bigfoot in the name. He is not too discerning about the shows, but how do you know? I don't think you can actually know how crappy the shows will turn out, the producers or someone probably piles on the BS for him, they are pros at piling on the BS, so he gets conned into doing all these stupid shows.

But does it make a bad impression for Meldrum?

It may not, so he gets his name on the show, gets some $ probably, so he may skate from this with cash in hand, not his fault if its a stupid show.

I don't know who would actually think this show was supposed to show a real animal actually caught in a cage.  I am sure there are some people who are, um, not aware enough to know the difference, but IMO about 98% of anyone watching the entire thing would know this is mostly for fun.  As you can see, Meldrum was not aware of the entire production - which really isn't his fault.  I think he brings solid science and research to the field in general, and don't really blame him for being on a show where he doesn't know and can't control the other content.