Has Bigfoot Science Stalled?

georgerm

I don't think bigfoot science has stalled because it would require some type of flesh and blood sample to verify its existence. Once bigfoot is identified then there are several branches of science that would be involved; biological, environmental, anthropology as just a few for example. Right now the search for bigfoot seems more like an ongoing investigation using some scientific means to collect or establish evidence.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/01/2016 at 9:13 PM, Crowlogic said:

The bigfoot community does not need outside funding or personnel to potentially prove bigfoot exists.  It simply needs a true cooperation within it's own ranks.  

I think Crowlogic nails it with that single sentence.

A standardised dataset of sightings that is openly shared amongst those interested in the subject would achieve far more than throwing millions at a 'scientific' field study. Especially when followed up by a georgraphical analysis of the data. Something similar to Crime Pattern Analysis techniques used by Police Departments may yield useful results.

Also in the age of ultra HD video cameras, as a community, we need to persuade hunters that a good camera is almost as important in their daysack as their weapon or water bottle. 

Of course that ignores the 'glory factor' of human nature with people wanting to be the first to show conclusive proof or protect book deals.

Throughout history specimens have been collected to species to be categorised and named. What are peoples' thoughts about someone killing a Bigfoot to bring the carcass in? With their size and strength, is it realistic to try and setup a humane trap to confine one of the creatures until it could be sedated by a vet?

7 hours ago, Busker said:

First of all, welcome to the Forum :) 

I think Crowlogic nails it with that single sentence.

A standardised dataset of sightings that is openly shared amongst those interested in the subject would achieve far more than throwing millions at a 'scientific' field study. Especially when followed up by a georgraphical analysis of the data. Something similar to Crime Pattern Analysis techniques used by Police Departments may yield useful results.

We have done, are doing, and continue to do just that

Also in the age of ultra HD video cameras, as a community, we need to persuade hunters that a good camera is almost as important in their daysack as their weapon or water bottle.

Agreed but I think with all of the photos we see of hunters with their catch, trophy or not, along with the need for GPS that hunters do take cameras with them.

Of course that ignores the 'glory factor' of human nature with people wanting to be the first to show conclusive proof or protect book deals.

Some truth to this. I've made efforts and suggestions for that. Even to get a team together just to analyze databases. So far? Zilch.

Throughout history specimens have been collected to species to be categorised and named. What are peoples' thoughts about someone killing a Bigfoot to bring the carcass in? With their size and strength, is it realistic to try and setup a humane trap to confine one of the creatures until it could be sedated by a vet?

There has been a BF trap out fo a long time, or was. There is a strong contingent of pro-kill/no-kill people here and the discussion was quite thorough. We all know only a body, carcass, or skeleton will do for proof of existence and taxonomy. I even wrote a book on the subject of doing  that just recently. It's the ONLY Sasquatch book anywhere by anyone that addresses such a touchy subject as hunting one to bring to science.

You have good thinking on this and your questions are all valid. If you take some time to look around you will find much that addresses them and hopefull gets you closer to the nature(s) of the problem(s). Hope to see you around the Forum

Evening Hiflier, and welcome new people.  

While I agree that there are several noteworthy efforts to wrestle the data into something usable - I've come to think of it as putting together a jigsaw puzzle - the problem is that two many groups/sites/organizations post less than complete and less than useful "reports."  Ran across one the other day on a lesser site - "I was playing in quarry with a friend when I was 12 and we saw a funny print and heard a funny sound from the woods.  It couldn't have been a human because this was the weekend and no one was working."  

That was the sum and substance of the report, if not an exact quote.  No details at all on the 5 Ws (who, what, where, when, and why).  It could very well be that witness encountered a bigfoot, but the taking of the report, the following up on the report, the organization of the report, etc., give no one any reason to conclude that they did.  By far, the best at doing this publicly is the BFRO.   

Evening to you too T. The amount of reports, even the vetted ones, that lack details are a big problem. But in a way I think it has always been so. John Green's database has many reports with detail gaps in them and there are some that are very thorough in description. It comes down to two things at least. One is the experience of the person doing the interview and the other is a complete list of proper questions to ask. Sometimes a report is passive where there is no outreach and the details are instead sent in by the witness. In that case being able to populate a proper database with those details is the next best thing.

It's great to get the details of an encounter but unless there is a place to install those details then the data just becomes a pile of info. Fortunately there are databases set up with the variables one can utilize to conduct those interviews. Sometime the problem is that the details can be filtered before the public can read them. In a lot of cases important photos are missing. Redbone is doing an excellent job of digping a lot of those up and posting them for us :) 

• 5 weeks later...

Welcome to the Forum, Pithecus :) Agreed. Many of us feel the same as you do. Doesn't mean we can't ask ourselves the tough questions regarding existence though. In fact it is necessary for us to do so. See you around the Forum.

• 1 month later...
Admin

Please continue here:

• masterbarber locked and unpinned this topic