Finding Bigfoot Cancelled

WV FOOTER

Guest DWA

Finding Bigfoot Cancelled, Say it isn't so?  I see on Social Media that the show has been cancelled.  I know nothing was ever found, but the stories told by people all over the country, were very interesting. 

Wouldn't be at all surprised.  The show went about the whole thing the wrong way; it's pretty obvious that ratings, and not a desire to inform, were at the heart of it.  Not sure its departure means much of anything, really.

BFF Patron

Hope it wasn't because of li'l ol' me ;) I'm actually somewhat serious about that.

Maybe some pressure from F&W and USFS because of all the yahoos now out hollering and tree knocking and generally bothering all the animals and people?

You pointed out a big problem for the Finding Bigfoot producers.     It is literally impossible to get USFS approval to film a commercial venture in Federal forests.    They will not even let people get married in the woods any more if they know about it because pictures are taken for profit..    We are headed for a time when no one will be allowed into the Federal Forests.      To speed that up, they are decommissioning and blocking off roads as fast as they can get away with it.    If you think about past shows they spend a lot of time on private property for their night investigations.    There is a good reason for it.   

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

Since funding for the parks is a burden borne by the taxpayers some of the policies seem a bit elaborate. If a hundred people are in a park, take photos, put them in frames, and sell them at a flea market is there any harm done? Nope. Hurts no one. Are such restrictions simply for the sake of having restrictions? Are you saying no weddings are allowed because the people there might sell a pic? Or make a calendar? We take pictures of parks all the time- Yosemite, the Tetons, etc. and some get made into items for sale....I say fine, it's good free advertising for creating future park visitors.

BFF Patron

As I remember you rent the space for a wedding in a national park, and you reserve it.  I'm not sure wedding photography is going to be monitored or violations enforced.  Group camping same way (unless you are a BFRO organizer or capitan.....then I have seen it skirted by ignorance and testing the limits).  But who knows, I'm an old man, and laws change. 

Edited by bipedalist

But who knows, I'm an old man, and laws change. 

You too , eh? Same here. But principles remain the same. At least that's my hope for the future.

BFF Patron

BFRO expedition camping actually supports my contention about Federal forest use.        Since it is adventure tourism, for profit,  they have to pretend and tell anyone that asks that their expedition camps are family reunions.       They even put up signs to that effect.   if they told the forest service what they were really doing, they would be fined for not having the proper permits.    The photography thing has made local media news several times in the last few years.    Commercial photographers fined for taking wedding photos in National Forest.      Of course like the BFRO seems to know,   it is often best not to tell the Federal Government what you are doing and you certainly do not want to ask permission.    Some movie company asked to shoot a movie, and had still not gotten permission in 8 or 9 months.   I would guess that Finding Bigfoot has had issues now and then over the years.  

â€œThe reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.†- Mark Twain

Some of you will be happy, and apparently some of you will be deeply saddened by fact that Finding Bigfoot has NOT been cancelled (though a special 'thank you' goes out to the folks who hate the show but still watch for whatever reason).  We are filming more episodes this summer, and the episodes that didn't air this past month will be tagged onto the new ones for a longer season when they do finally air.  The erratic airing schedule is the product of whatever happens in the ivory towers at Animal Planet, and I have nothing at all to do with it.  I just look for bigfoot.

Every season since the first, there have been rumors that the show has been cancelled.  Each time people say how they knew this would happen and give their reasons why the show was cancelled.  They are often surprised it went on as long as it has (even back after the first season!).  Trust me when I say that nobody is more surprised than we are that the show has lasted this long, and still has very steady ratings after all this time.  I am told that the show's ratings aren't spectacularly high, but they are good, solid and consistent. This means a lot to a network when ratings across all cable networks have been dropping dramatically due to the introduction of new forms of media like Netflix and Hulu. 

In other news...

Commercial permitting for the National Forests has been more difficult these past few years.  Two films in particular apparently made a mess out of the national forests and entered into lawsuits about who is responsible for cleaning it up, so the Feds shut down the permitting process until things could get sorted out.  It's slowly getting better now, and it goes by a forest-by-forest basis.   Sometimes it's very easy to get access to almost anywhere, and other times they won't even talk to the producers trying to get permission.  

Thanks for watching, everyone.  I'm looking forward to meeting some of you face-to-face in Ohio next week!  

Cliff

• Upvote 3

Apparently Cliff, it still costs a lot to win, and even more to lose. Watch your deal, and thanks for checking in!

Guest ewashguy56

Some of you will be happy, and apparently some of you will be deeply saddened by fact that Finding Bigfoot has NOT been cancelled (though a special 'thank you' goes out to the folks who hate the show but still watch for whatever reason).  We are filming more episodes this summer, and the episodes that didn't air this past month will be tagged onto the new ones for a longer season when they do finally air.  The erratic airing schedule is the product of whatever happens in the ivory towers at Animal Planet, and I have nothing at all to do with it.  I just look for bigfoot.

Every season since the first, there have been rumors that the show has been cancelled.  Each time people say how they knew this would happen and give their reasons why the show was cancelled.  They are often surprised it went on as long as it has (even back after the first season!).  Trust me when I say that nobody is more surprised than we are that the show has lasted this long, and still has very steady ratings after all this time.  I am told that the show's ratings aren't spectacularly high, but they are good, solid and consistent. This means a lot to a network when ratings across all cable networks have been dropping dramatically due to the introduction of new forms of media like Netflix and Hulu. 

In other news...

Commercial permitting for the National Forests has been more difficult these past few years.  Two films in particular apparently made a mess out of the national forests and entered into lawsuits about who is responsible for cleaning it up, so the Feds shut down the permitting process until things could get sorted out.  It's slowly getting better now, and it goes by a forest-by-forest basis.   Sometimes it's very easy to get access to almost anywhere, and other times they won't even talk to the producers trying to get permission.  

Thanks for watching, everyone.  I'm looking forward to meeting some of you face-to-face in Ohio next week!  

Cliff

Thanks for the update Cliff. Look forward to more shows. Anything worth having is worth waiting for I figure.

Federal land belongs to all of us...it's funded and maintained with our tax dollars.  If I want to take a picture--and even sell it--I should have that right on public land.  And if I pollute it I should have to clean it up or pay the fine to clean it up.

I don't, however, have that same right on someone's private land...in my opinion, that's where permits need to be obtained.

This could easily turn into a political rant so I will quit now!!

In other news...

Cliff

Thanks, Cliff, I ended up DVR'ing "River Monsters" last Thursday...nothing against Jeremy Wade, but I was expecting to see a town hall meeting and a night investigation afterwards!   :sarcastic:

As disappointing as the results usually were, they did actually record some decent vocals at times, and that print finds in season two I think it was, that was really impressive, parts of the show were monotonous, like always reviewing after the commercials for two minutes, that was fluff. I hope the show does continue because it was sort of what made me interested in the subject. I discounted the possibility for quite a long time, and even argued against the PG film as a hoax, today I view the subject from the other side, and I think Finding Bigfoot at least made me think enough about it to research the evidence, which lead me to the belief in these creatures, then I had personal experience come into play and I was hooked. While certainly flawed, it has influenced the acceptability of people discussing the possibility, and that alone has allowed a ton of eyewitnesses to come forward with less fear of ridicule.

Guest DWA

Well, actually, you're right about that last sentence, and I might have to take back some of my post (not the part about the misguided approach, other than the town halls which actually were the heart of the show).

One thing I have mentioned here a number of times:  since "Finding Bigfoot" started, the vast majority of BFRO report updates include encounters from the current or immediately previous calendar year.  As a number of the reports themselves indicate, "FB" has been an important factor in this.

And no.  Anyone who thinks that FB is just spawning loads of copycats just isn't thinking about this.  Not examining anything contradicting one's restricted worldview tends to do that to a body.

Hey Cliff! I gotta say that over the years my take on the show have improved as I came to see the rise in visibility and popular acceptance of sasquatch thanks to your work. Jolly good show! I too love the accounts at the town hall meetings with the recreations! And about that episode with the bass....fretless!

Cliff, glad to know the show will be continuing.

As a way to help promote the show a little, have the producers ever considered giving away some Finding Bigfoot merchandise, such as one of your beanies or a coffee mug, through a drawing of a viewers name at the end of a show, Maybe 2-3 times during the season?

Maybe halfway through a show, or at the end, they could invite viewers to enter the drawings.

You know how people like free stuff.  ;)