Information Gathering

Yeah, I think if they are phishing for information, it's backfiring on them. I have talked to several people who could offer a lot of information, & they flatly refuse to even register here because of the attacks on "habituators".

Right. But consider, for a moment, the number of complete BS habituation stories we have heard here over the years. There have been many, and a lot of members invest a lot of time trying to get more information, and eventually, the habituator picks up his/her virtual toys and goes home.

I am BEGINNING to understand the point of view of potentially honest people who have had a habituation experience...But that is balanced by the utter frustration of asking for the hundredth time : DUDE, WHY DO YOU NOT TAKE A PICTURE, OR RAKE OUT A FOOTPRINT TRAP!!!!???

It is going to be crushingly ironic if it turns out the mystery is solved BY habituators, or because of them.

But I am patient....

Guest tracker

You have to wonder what motivates an individual skeptic. If someone doesn't believe in something, why would they bother to join a forum that discusses it? You'd have to think that they would have something better to do that does interest them. But they're here, and that says something. Perhaps they're not interested in getting behind a team and rooting for it - perhaps they're more interested in sitting in the opposing team's section and insulting that team's fans.

So some, I think, are just looking for attention. When I participated in the IVBC in the mid 90's, there was a guy with the initials EB who dogged the forum and attached himself to me for a while. It really turned what could have been a gratifying exchange of information into a hassle, dogging and dissecting every post I and others made, posing the contrary argument simply for the sake of being contrary - and for the attention it drew. Sometimes I wonder if I attract that type of individual in this type of setting.

Just use some deep woods off to deal with pests like that. :D

In reality what's said in these forums means very little. It's what you do in field that matters most. Some members get so bent over what other members opinions are. and there's always going to be a few Richards in the crowd because they can never make it up on stage. And we all know what the short form for that name is. :D

as always JMO tracker, dry.gif

Tracker, how do you feel about the hard work you put in, the hours of your life and the money you spend, diligently working and searching for evidence, versus those that merely have to walk out their doors to encounter sasquatch?

Your point is clear as mud, but I'll add this. We're all on a forum devoted to an undescribed, upright hominid. It's a creature only reputed to exist, and is not recognized by science. (I, myself, am not a skeptic of the possibility the creature may exist.)

Yet we have posters that claim extraordinary events, such as double digit population living within a short distance from their home and those that claim occasional, regular encounters, be they heard, seen, or otherwise determined. There are those here that seemingly dote upon every word posted of such encounters, and good for them.

Me? I subscribe to the notion that extraordinary claims require a modicum of evidence. (Notice I didn't say "proof.") Hell, anyone can come upon this forum and claim anything they wish, and it seems garner a fan club for doing so. For those folks, it's probably sacrilege I should doubt habituation claims and ask for something/anything as evidence of such outlier tales.

So you would say that if someone is living in an arid region with few potable water sources, and they have one on their property used to effectively create a comparative oasis, that it would be unusual for them to observe regular activity? In an arid region, available water means a zone of more succulent vegetation. A tight zone of more succulent vegetation supports more insect life, more reptile life, more rodent life, more avian life, more deer, etc. More of all of this means more food to a bigfoot - without having to expend valuable energy resources to cover large tracts of ground to support itself. So they stick close and eat. While they're hanging out, they watch us constantly to make sure we're not a threat. After a while, if no one chases them off, they get more comfortable. A human family in this situation has the opportunity to observe more than a once in a lifetime sighting.

So in other terrain you might say that I can habituate a magpie, or a family of raccoons, or a group of local bears, but not a family of megafauna holdouts, who need large amounts of food, and aren't likely to pass up easy meals offered to them on a regular basis once they're convinced that there is no risk to them? They certainly have nutritional needs that sometimes go unmet that we can supply. Fish, which I'm sure they can catch, but not in quantity; fruits out of season; and other choice food items that they can't otherwise obtain at that time in that place?

Keep in mind that most often, when we do see them, they are watching us. They're out there in the day and they're out there in the night and they watch. I know one couple in the Ozarks who consider themselves bigfoot TV. They've seen bigfoot, but don't feel threatened, so they go about their business. They've come to recognize when bigfoot are about by observing the behavior of the other animals in their woods. At night, regularly, as they finish their routine and are settling down for the night, something will slap the side of their house so hard that it shakes. From a bigfoot's perspective, they're just tapping the side of the terrarium to keep the occupants moving around so they can watch. If the bigfoot are watching the couple on a regular basis, is it improbable that the couple might also see the bigfoot on a less frequent, but still regular, basis?

If you're open-minded and think through how it might be possible, it seems less improbable, doesn't it?

Stories and tall tales. As much as you or anyone else wishes such were true, how is it the creatures are still cryptic? Sorry to be blunt, but it's ludicrous.

Tracker, how do you feel about the hard work you put in, the hours of your life and the money you spend, diligently working and searching for evidence, versus those that merely have to walk out their doors to encounter sasquatch?

Apparently, he doesn't feel resentful, & peevish.

Admin

Stories and tall tales. As much as you or anyone else wishes such were true, how is it the creatures are still cryptic? Sorry to be blunt, but it's ludicrous.

Not only that, but we supposedly are trying to phish this invaluable information!

p.s. to slap the side of a house so hard that it shakes... that must hurt. I wonder what amount of force it takes to shake a whole house with a single slap?

Edited by gigantor

Most of these folks expect to be treated with exactly this attitude if they make their situation public. They live where they live because they love and often live off of nature. They know that they're experiencing something special and don't want to alter the status quo. Each week they learn something new about something very few people in the world have encountered. They cherish it. They don't care what you or I think about "going public". They don't want to talk to an investigator. They don't want a bunch of yahoos that they don't know and don't trust invading their space and chasing off the squatch. I've suggested a number of things to the couple in the Ozarks. They're actually afraid that they will breach the bigfoot's trust and that they will stop coming around. They perceive, as I do, that the bigfoot are intelligent enough to recognize an "evidence trap".

If you want to get to know people like this, you've got to be introduced by someone that they trust, who trusts you. Then you've got to give them the opportunity to trust you, and you have to respect them.

It boils down to respect and trust. Not just with the people at an actual habituation sites, but also with the bigfoot.

Amazingly convenient. Each and every person in a habituation situation decides not to investigate further.

Malarkey.

Not only that, but we supposedly are trying to phish this invaluable information!

p.s. to slap the side of a house so hard that it shakes... that must hurt. I wonder what amount of force it takes to shake a whole house with a single slap?

Part of the house. The forces involved aren't hard to figure out. Longer arm, wider swing arc, use legs and back muscles to increase the power of the swing (as in golf), more powerful muscles pound for pound. They're trying to make noise and stir up activity, not knock the house off of its foundation. Does it hurt? Who knows? Is it worth the sting to get people to scurry around inside? I guess so. They keep doing it.

Edited by JDL

Amazingly convenient. Each and every person in a habituation situation decides not to investigate further.

Malarkey.

Awww.... Now you're just being jealous.

Admin

This is why if you want to know their secrets, someone who trusts you must let you in their click.

If you want to get to know people like this, you've got to be introduced by someone that they trust, who trusts you.

Basically, it's a cult.

Guest tracker

I don't think of it in terms like that. Yea it's not fair, that some have them close by. But on the other hand once you see them or worse make eye contact. You don't want them in your backyard peeping in your windows at night either. :ph34r: I am not sure where you live? But the biggies are sometimes closer than most realize. It just all timing and good or bad luck.

Anyone can be brave sitting in front of a computer screen, especially the Richards. JMO. tracker,dry.gif

You have to wonder what motivates an individual skeptic. If someone doesn't believe in something, why would they bother to join a forum that discusses it? You'd have to think that they would have something better to do that does interest them. But they're here, and that says something. Perhaps they're not interested in getting behind a team and rooting for it - perhaps they're more interested in sitting in the opposing team's section and insulting that team's fans. If so, it's sad for everyone.

Some, I think, are just looking for attention. When I participated in the IVBC in the mid 90's, there was a guy with the initials EB who dogged the forum and attached himself to me for a while. He really turned what could have been a gratifying exchange of information into a hassle, dogging and dissecting every post I and others made, posing the contrary argument simply for the sake of being contrary - and for the attention it drew. Sometimes I wonder if I attract that type of individual in this type of setting.

I guess others might see themselves as self-appointed traffic cops. If that's their motivation, we're really giving them too much regard. They're simply self-important, no more.

Hopefully there is the rare skeptic that is actually objective, who questions without criticizing - who doesn't dismiss sincere contributions out of hand and keeps a portion of his mind open to the possibility that he may be surprised.

yeah, i had a thread earlier in this forum asking the same thing titled "what draws the skeptic to BF?, if its hogwash why bother?"..... 44 pages & 1310 replies later it got locked down after the same old circular discussions & derailing that eventually spiraled downward into crap, such is the way it seems.

as for info gathering, habituations and all......well, over the years folks get burned by enough tall tales that crash into hoaxes & start being very careful when they hear similiar sounding stories( i know i do anyways)

its a shame,but many dont want to be "had" by another hoax.

some of the most cynical questioning you see may be from "proponents" simply trying to weed out the BS & theres been plenty of it out there..

so much that potentially credible claims get swept under the same rug as the bad ones............& sadly , probably why some d@#* good accounts &/or possible evidence will never be brought forward, imho .

yeah, i had a thread earlier in this forum asking the same thing titled "what draws the skeptic to BF?, if its hogwash why bother?"..... 44 pages & 1310 replies later it got locked down after the same old circular discussions & derailing that eventually spiraled downward into crap, such is the way it seems.

as for info gathering, habituations and all......well, over the years folks get burned by enough tall tales that crash into hoaxes & start being very careful when they hear similiar sounding stories( i know i do anyways)

its a shame,but many dont want to be "had" by another hoax.

some of the most cynical questioning you see may be from "proponents" simply trying to weed out the BS & theres been plenty of it out there..

so much that potentially credible claims get swept under the same rug as the bad ones............& sadly , probably why some d@#* good accounts &/or possible evidence will never be brought forward, imho .

We are going around in circles, aren't we?