Bigfoot Harvesting Fruits, Berries & Vegetables.

Branco

Raw onions, turnips, and squash, wow. Not to mention all the raw meat...must have super efficient guts. I also read that they don't eat the citrus, but like JDL points out, maybe they're after critters that do, since there are quite a few reports near orange groves.

On 10/29/2017 at 7:37 PM, Incorrigible1 said:

Simple solution? Post a few game cameras. No more stolen crops.  Voila.

On 10/31/2017 at 11:00 AM, JKH said:

Thank you for the obvious, but I think they often have ways around such things. :ph34r:

JKH, 

I don't know if the BFs often have ways around the cameras.

The two examples that I recall where introduction of cameras stopped the BF activity are:

1) Thom Powell's research into a Washington ranch whereas the BFs were stealing food from an outdoor refrigerator.  He introduced NV cameras and the activity stopped.  He documented his research in the book titled "The Locals".

2) NAWAC placed NV video cameras all around the cabin where they had all sorts of BF activity and the activity stopped.  They were so disappointed with the results that they removed all the cameras and then the BF activity started again.

Thus if I owned a fruit orchard and was getting heavy loses, the least I would do is put some cameras to find out what is going on. If Powell's and NAWAC experience is true, then maybe the stealing would stop.

Oh, I agree. In a later comment, I elaborated that from many reports, when they detect cams, they typically avoid or disable them. In the situation I became aware of on a garden forum, the poster was advised to do just that and said he'd try it. We'll see next year if he does, that is if he still discusses it by then. I may check in with the guy at some point.

BFF Patron
On 11/22/2017 at 11:48 AM, NCBFr said:

I read somewhere that they do not like citrusy fruit such as oranges.  They love apples and we saw one hanging out in our peach grove though not in season.

I personally couldn't get them to do so for me, but I have heard others have had success, just not many.

Apples universally a big two thumbs up!

Molasses on bread or in sweet feed tends to suit their fancy too.

Admin
On 10/31/2017 at 6:28 PM, Twist said:

I get all those possible reason for them to avoid trailcams.  I meant how would BF still pick fruit from a tree covered by a trail cam if they recognize and avoid them?

That's it.

I'm gonna put together a camera system with miniature pinhole passive; electrically, thermally, audibly, odor insulated detectors packaged in a natural available material such as a log or rock so that it cannot be detected.

It will be so undetectable that we will have to record the gps coordinates in order to retrieve it weeks later. I'm talking, blend in with the environment like any other rock/log. I think the technology is finally getting to the price point of allowing us to do this.

• Upvote 2

On 11/22/2017 at 11:48 AM, NCBFr said:

I read somewhere that they do not like citrusy fruit such as oranges.  They love apples and we saw one hanging out in our peach grove though not in season.

NCBFr, I have read several reports of BF in orange groves here in Florida. You would think  as much citrus is available here they would have to utilize that as a food source. Although I am not sure what long term use would do to their teeth. Will try to find reports and see if they were observed eating oranges

8 hours ago, Brian said:

NCBFr, I have read several reports of BF in orange groves here in Florida. You would think  as much citrus is available here they would have to utilize that as a food source. Although I am not sure what long term use would do to their teeth. Will try to find reports and see if they were observed eating oranges

I am sure there are adaptations based on region.  Perhaps they use it's juice to baste their gator meat.

Edited by NCBFr