Bigfoot Harvesting Fruits, Berries & Vegetables.

Branco

Guest Cryptic Megafauna
11 hours ago, NCBFr said:

Sorry, what is a hack berry?  

If you're a hacker it's a blackberry.

Hackberry trees occur in the middle of the country so not a PNW thing.

Highly nutritious, though, just what a Sasquatch would want to eat.

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

Well I have an Island near me named Hackberry island, a spot located in the middle of my state park surrounded by large expanses of marsh, and pretty well untouched by man, surrounding waters are very shallow not allowing anything but canoes and kayaks near it, and not a pleasant hike by land. I think it might be a sleeping spot for my area, I have to get back into it at some point. I could be completely wrong, but it sure seems to hold promise. I have more or less continued recording with little results lately, though I have a few more nights to review. It seems like my time window for research is closing down, though I will be in Florida over Christmas, and I will be looking at homes near Brooksville FL. I might be moving that way in the semi-near future, John Greene noted the number of sightings that took place in that area of Florida, and called it one of the most promising areas for reseach back in the late 60s, development has intruded into the area, but still a vast amount of usable habitat remains, and I am sure they are still alive and well in that part of Florida. Probably are living in some retirement community playing golf till happy hour hits.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

• 11 months later...
  • Registration Desk unlocked this topic
On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 9:06 AM, Lake County Bigfooot said:

Probably are living in some retirement community playing golf till happy hour hits.

I truly appreciate the fact that in the midst of all of the seriousness humor still has a way of jumping out :) One liners like this are priceless.

Harvest time is passing, and I've had some recent ponderings about this topic. Thank you again for sharing your knowledge, Branco.

There was a recent report posted in a couple areas about multiple sightings near orchards in central CA. It makes total sense to me that they would be in that area. The western edges of the Sierras with rivers flowing down and all those irrigated crops must be excellent territories for them. I remember there was a member here by the username Kings Canyon who shared interesting information. Unfortunately, it's now impossible to search those old names.

Recently I shared a few messages with a gentleman on a gardening forum who is genuinely mystified about the routine yearly disappearance of his small apple and pear crop. A dozen trees, all high fenced, mountain valley, no people around, trees near home aren't touched, etc. All the signs point to our hairy friends, so I gently tried to let him know that it's not squirrels or the like.  It's hard enough IRL, but impossible to gauge someone's comfort level with such online, so I gave up. I still feel bad for his predicament, though, as he's so puzzled.

Found this quote in a WA report:  "Thimbleberry vines were evidently cleaned by sliding the hand along the cane from the ground up."

No thorns! I may try to grow these.

http://www.nwplants.com/business/catalog/rub_par.html

Happy Howloween, folks!

You're welcome! Every year I get reports/complaints from folks in the SE who lose massive amounts of fruit, berries, vegetables or corn overnight. Some of them know that BF was the culprit, the rest don't know for sure, but their neighbors have tried to tell them, and suggested they call or e-mail me to discuss the problem. Actually most of the rest don't want to think that BF even exists, much less consider the possibility that one may be stealing their foodstuff! :o Those conversations get pretty humorous sometimes. (Of course, I can't tell them with certainty that BF is the thief, not even if they live in an area where I know BF have done the same thing in the past.)

[We have so many pears trees, scuppernongs vines, thorn-less blackberry vines and fig trees on the place that this year I wish a BF lived close enough to raid them every week. We made enough jelly, jams and preserves to feed the whole neighborhood, even after giving pears away by the bushel.] :(   

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the obvious, but I think they often have ways around such things. :ph34r:

"Actually most of the rest don't want to think that BF even exists, much less consider the possibility that one may be stealing their foodstuff!"

Yes, so true. Some folks actively avoid the topic. I know a few like that. I bet it does make it hard to help sometimes.

Edited by JKH

I’m all ears for how BF would get around trail cams if set up to deter them.  Most accounts say BF will not go near them hence why we do not have good trail cam pics of them.  

Another perennial topic.

My opinion only is, they avoid or disable them when detected, sometimes they malfunction, allowing access, and sometimes there are trail cam captures. There have been some good pics and I'd imagine the best are not public. Cams aren't necessarily deterrents if they want something.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Twist said:

I’m all ears for how BF would get around trail cams if set up to deter them.  Most accounts say BF will not go near them hence why we do not have good trail cam pics of them.  

I'd say most likely they avoid them by not existing. However, I suppose it's possible they can sense the electronics, smell the humans that set them, avoid that area. Maybe they can see the IR sensor.

I get all those possible reason for them to avoid trailcams.  I meant how would BF still pick fruit from a tree covered by a trail cam if they recognize and avoid them?