Hollywood 50S/60S

norseman

A private little war - Star Trek (1968)

Planet of the apes - movie (1968)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvR2mCx-Jnc

Monster from a prehistoric planet - movie (1967)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiyU7s65R_c&feature=related

Creature from the black lagoon - movie (1954)

*feel free to add your own examples of monsters from the time period*

as in" what kind of suit couldve been produced back then ?"i presumemarc_horowitz_robot_monster.jpg

well, its no patty, but maybe there is a midtarsal break to be found, lol,heck, even the girl looks fake in this pic. or maybe.......oldmonsterpic.jpg at least a real lady in this one, but look how "convincing" the brain monster is herebiggrin.gif

Can someone amend the title so we can include work from the '30's? :D

If you want? Hey go for it.....

Guest BitterMonk

Can someone amend the title so we can include work from the '30's? :D

Like 1939? ;)

Hunchback of Notre Dame

hunchback_of_notre_dame_2.jpg

Guest John

Them!

Excellent!

From 1932:

vlcsnap-2010-08-19-20h02m02s226.jpg

vlcsnap-2010-08-19-20h11m27s236.jpg

vlcsnap-2010-08-19-10h13m01s252.jpg

vlcsnap-2010-08-19-10h11m46s56.jpg

Planet of the Apes is understandably compared to the PGF due to it's vintage and subject matter. I think this is a bit of a shame because POTA is basically a prosthetic make-up show

rather than a creature suit show. The design of the facial prosthetics is apelike in shorthand, while the anatomy is human.

I think the following are arguably better facial prosthetics from the same era as POTA. - 1967 & 1968 respectively. I believe the first is an unused concept. Not certain. I've tried to include a very loosely contemporary still of the actors in question.

Jasonupload.jpgFredupload.jpg

ETA - Sorry about the 'stacked' pictures - the top four were 2x2 in posting mode.

Edited by John

Guest John

marc_horowitz_robot_monster.jpg

Point of order - the above costume is as far as I can determine a modern reproduction action figure of 'Ro-Man' from the notorious no-budget 1953 Robot Monster. The original was gorilla man George Barrows in his own rental gorilla suit with an added helmet - the production values were that desperate.

So - the posted figure is strictly not from the 50's and was hardly Hollywood's best work in the original production rather some of it's worst.