Analytical Research - Sightings Database

BobbyO

SSR Team

Of the Actual Visual Reports from WA State's three main Geographical Zone's of the North Cascades (46), Olympic Peninsula (61) and the South Cascades (92), Reports from Daylight Hours make up 67%, 65% and 61% respectively with a State overall being at 65%.

Compare that to overall WA State Actual Visual Sightings from witnesses on their own property/at home (21) at 21% and we are looking at a 210% swing difference.

----

In the month of August in each and every one of the last 10 years, all 9 reports from the state of #Arizona have come from Coconino County.

----

Looking at the "Witness Activity" reports and breaking them down from a geographical perspective, here are some more numbers.

Washington State/Illinois:

All Reports :

16%/27% Driving
16%/4% Camping
13%/23% Normal Activity at Home
12%/11% Hiking
10%/9% Hunting
2.9%/1% Actual Bigfooting

Actual Visual Sightings :

37%/32% Driving
9%/19% Normal Activity at Home
8%/11% Hunting
8%/9% Hiking 
5%/4% Camping
1.7%/1.6% Actual Bigfooting

----

In this post, we will take a look at how, from a witness activity perspective, people have their encounters from the 3,383 total reports we currently have locked and loaded in the database.

All Reports :

23% Driving
18% Normal Activity at Home
13% Camping
12% Hunting
11% Hiking
1.6% Actual Bigfooting

Where Actual Visual Sightings are concerned :

34% Driving
14% Normal Activity at Home
12% Hunting
10% Hiking 
7% Camping
0.9% Actual Bigfooting

----

With 244 reports in the database from witnesses who were camping in the summer from across the North American Continent, here's a little delve in to what those numbers are actually saying.

Only 15% of those reports have come within hours of daylight.

Of the eight Moon Phases, the Full Moon and the following Waning Gibbous Phase is most common on nights when the moon is visible, making up 54% of all reports

Of reports since the turn of the century, 14% of reports have come within hours of daylight, with the Full Moon and Waning Gibbous making up 52% of all reports.

----

So far with the data we have locked and loaded across the entire North American Continent, we are averaging 40 reports per summer from the 1,822 reports we currently have from the turn of the century, and 37 reports per summer from the 692 reports we currently have since 2010.

Where Actual Visual Sighting Reports are concerned, we are averaging 15 reports per summer from the 759 reports we have since the turn of the century, with around 11.5 reports per summer from the 692 reports we currently have since 2010.

These numbers are expected to rise as we continue to add data daily.

----

The month of August is the second most common months for reports so far in the database (behind October), with 458 reports currently added.

39% of all reports from within daylight hours.
46% of those are Actual Visual Sightings, with 53% of those from within daylight hours.
On nights when the Moon is visible, the Full Moon Phase (19th August) is the most common Phase where Actual Visual Sightings are concerned.
28% of all Actual Visual Sighting Reports are when the witness has been driving, with 42% of those coming from within daylight hours.
Where Vocalization reports are concerned, only 15% are from hours of daylight.
Where Knock reports are concerned, 63% of reports come from the four darkest consecutive Moon Phases, with not one report coming on the night of the Full Moon.

----

As we continue to add data to the PNW and specifically Oregon and the divided geographical zones of the Coastal Range, Cascades and Eastern OR, we pick up some interesting little early trends and patterns from the current 80 or so initial reports added.

73% of all reports are from darkness hours.
On nights when the moon is visible and from the 8 possible moon phases, 44% of all reports are on Full Moon nights.
Where non visual reports are concerned on nights when the moon is visible, that number rises to 58% on Full Moon nights.

----

Interesting to note that in the Midwest States of IL (37%), IN (31%), IA (35%), MI (38%), MO (37%), NE (56%), TN (48%) and from over 500 reports we have locked and loaded, Fall makes up an average 40.2% of all reports.

Where Actual Visual Report are concerned, those numbers jump per State to IL (43%), IN (34%), IA (39%) MI (46%), MO (33%), NE (50%), TN (50%) and an average of 42%.

----

#Highway101 - Of all of the Actual Visual Sighting Reports from the State of WA in the month of July over the last 12 years, 83% have been from Grays Harbour County on the Olympic Peninsula. 

From those Grays Harbour County reports, 50% have been when the witness has been driving, with an average elevation of all of those reports of just 190ft.

When is a good time to begin giving some impressions from the data you've presented so far? I mean I understand the issues of being relegated to our reliance on reports and that in some matters there may not be enough of those to warrant even a limited amount of speculation but sometimes, depending on what data one is looking at.......

What kinda jumped out was the percentage of reported tree knocks that were on nights with little or no Moon. I think it has to be more than "Hey, I'm over here". It may be more of a call to come home or a kind of beacon for getting one's bearings in the dark. Either using the tree knock as a form of echo-location or a homing signal for calling in juveniles?

A coyote howls to let the pack know that it has killed prey for feeding. BF may be doing the same thing? I wouldn't think it to far removed from it's reasoning that the light wouldn't go on and, "Hey, I can use this stick on a deer".

As a last thought. Perhaps this thread should stay pure and another thread for the purposes of data analysis and discussion.  

SSR Team

Yeah that's jumped out to me too H regarding the tree knocks. There are high numbers around the continent to what you mention.

Im easy for discussion on this thread, I just wanted to throw stuff out there to have discussion in the first place.

Will keep adding as and when.

BobbyO this is all interesting information. You all have done a good job on getting a very usable data base up and running. One thing I did get out of that so far is that if you want to have a sighting then the best thing you could do is stay in your car and drive around in the high sighting areas. The odds of a sighting in a car are about triple or better of what they are with any other activity. 

Hiflier mentioned tree knocks and their purpose. I've personally experienced them 4 different times now. My take on their use by bigfoot is as a signal that there are humans either in, entering or leaving a given area. As a warning or signal to others of their group. Which to me says we are not doing ourselves any favors by knocking when we are out in the woods. You might get an answer but they will most likely be leaving the area. 

• Upvote 1

I agree on the road sightings loading. Looks like spending time driving around Grays Harbor could be very beneficial indeed. And at low elevations too. Looks like that's where the BF seasonally go .

SSR Team

Grays Harbor County where Driving > Actual Visual Sighting Reports are concerned is at 58% (80% from daylight hours) which is a 45% increase on the Olympic Peninsula overall and a 57% increase on WA State wide, high IMO.

Compare that to 40% from the Olympic Peninsula in total (61% from daylight hours) and 37% WA State wide (59% from daylight hours).

What does it mean though ? Not a great deal IMO. 56% of those reports from the Summer, Grays Harbor County is the County with biggest population on the Olympic Peninsula, has a decent summer tourism trade where the coast is concerned and the Southern entrance to the National Park so extra visitors. But the numbers are what they are, looking forward to this data set growing over time as i'm sure it will.

Just a little bit more, 37% of all Actual Visual Sighting Reports Continent wide are from witnesses driving (597/1737) which is pretty high IMO and a reason why you certainly don't need to be wandering through some of the country's vast wilderness/forests to see a Sasquatch.

Compare that to Camping at 7% (114/1737) and Hiking at 10% (177/1737) and you can see what i mean.

There is a huge jump for Non Visual Reports when Camping (327 in total) of course that may point to a behavioural pattern for these things possibly and a reclusive, shy type of nature.

So to make clear, it's 114 Camping Reports with and Actual Visual Sighting and 327 Reports with a Non Visual Encounter Continent wide.

Admin
On 11/7/2016 at 10:00 PM, bipedalist said:

I like you Vafooter so I am averse to posting this one up.

No problem bipedalist!

Just posted it for information sake. Your article was interesting in debunking some of the hype.

BFF Patron

Still there is some reality to the physics of the phenomenon I suppose and it's rarity.   Two sides to the coin. 

There have to be stories for earth and sky to do, since there is a finite amount of atmospheric science and planetary regularity that is known from one day to the next (or one week to the next, usually). 

Edited by bipedalist

SSR Team

Well "Non Visual" is just the term I use.

In the world of Sasquatchery I'm afraid it's all (figure of speech) Class A and Class B, which unfortunately sometimes doesn't differentiate between the two and Actual Visual Reports to Non Visual Reports.

There are a tonne of Class B reports in the database that are Actual Visual Sightings but for whatever reason they're classed as a Class B and as, against my wishes I may add, we (where the database is concerned) decided to not alter the original source Class A's and B's, so with how the database is structured, I could look split and look at just Class B reports, but they're not necessarily all Non Visual Reports.

I refer you to the thread on this exact issue in the SSR part of the forum.

The only reason why I ask is that I can't imagine too many instances when it would be anything other than a visual while driving. 

BFF Patron

There could be several reasons they are suspicious of food left out for them.     Too long a time and it might be spoiled.    In their culture, probably everything is consumed immediately or it does spoil.  Predators usually have a pecking order unless they are a solitary animal.    The dominant killer usually takes what it wants, then leave the rest to the juveniles etc.   So there must be a problem with food not consumed.  Probably a lot of our stuff simply tastes bad to them.    I recall one report in which people in camp were hearing a BF moving around the camp in the early hours of the morning.   They had left a pan of dishwater out after washing the dishes.   Most dish soap has a pleasant flower like odor.    Sure enough they heard a BF drink the dishwater then spit it out with disgust.    In their way of thinking,  only stuff alive they catch and kill,  or stuff they pilfer that they know we still want is probably safe to eat?

SSR Team
6 hours ago, BigTreeWalker said:

The only reason why I ask is that I can't imagine too many instances when it would be anything other than a visual while driving. 

For sure, I'll have a little look tomorrow and see what there is.

• Bobby O, way to go! What you and the others have done is awesome! And a tremendous stride in the search for understanding! Thank you all.

SSR Team

Thumbs up Guy, thank you.