Do You Have a BF "Honey Hole?"

FarArcher

Thanks Norse, it was a great list, with which I concur. It's also interesting that stumps being torn apart is on the list, because, unless we see them doing it, it's only possibly a bear. I do agree with the claw marks being bears though. Flipped rocks are also a good sign of bears in an area (but that one has the same problem as stumps), unless there are tracks nearby. 

But looking at your list, just be careful what you throw out as evidence (not proof) of bigfoot being in an area. Because some of those items were on your previously posted list as to what should not be used to determine bigfoot presence in an area. 

2 hours ago, norseman said:

First and foremost probably is because I've killed them there before. Which by definition IS a honey hole.

Secondly it depends on what I'm doing. When I had hounds the best way to tell if I had Bear or cougar in a area was a redbone named Amy baying on her strike box.

Another awesome way to tell if they are in the area is to plunk down next to a tree and start squallerin on a varmint call. With Bears you need to call non stop, with cats you need to wait longer before moving on.

But What I think yer asking me is what sign would convince me that Bear or cougar are in the area. Keeping in mind that they are known animals and not cryptids.

1. Sighting

2. Tracks

3. Scat

4. Hair

5. Kills

6. Shredded stumps for black bear.

7. Claw marks on trees

8. Open hillside digging for grizzly.

9. Calls, not very common to hear with either. 

10. Plants consumption such as huckleberry bushes or skunk cabbage

11. Dead carcass, not very common but found a black bear last fall.

12. Known habitat. Black bears like cool wet places. Grizzly prefer more open spaces. Cougar like rocky cliff faces that offer good ambush points. They like to attack down hill if possible.

How am I doing?

You do realize this is a continuation of Gig's poll thread? 

Far Archer wrote:

"Amazing, as so many folks don't believe in these things, never experienced anything of consequence, and yet if we went further - many parts of the country have active populations of these things."

Thats a direct shot over my bow. That's OK, I'll bite....I have nothing better to do til after break up anyhow! :)

Actually, you never crossed my mind when I wrote that.  I was thinking of friends of mine - some who deny the possibility - some who are very skeptical as they believe they'd have been found by now - and some like I used to be - just never gave them a thought - one way or another.

When I met one, it changed everything I thought I knew.

I wish I'd never seen it.

6 hours ago, FarArcher said:

Actually, you never crossed my mind when I wrote that.  I was thinking of friends of mine - some who deny the possibility - some who are very skeptical as they believe they'd have been found by now - and some like I used to be - just never gave them a thought - one way or another.

When I met one, it changed everything I thought I knew.

I wish I'd never seen it.

With all do respect FarArcher, if you truly wished you had never saw one, you would not be here.  By coming here you are looking for validation of what you saw.  If you truly wished to forget what you saw you would not need validation.  JMO of course.  

• Upvote 4

Guest Seatco
7 hours ago, Twist said:

With all do respect FarArcher, if you truly wished you had never saw one, you would not be here.  By coming here you are looking for validation of what you saw.  If you truly wished to forget what you saw you would not need validation.  JMO of course.  

With all due respect Twist.

Simply ask the individual why they are on this forum.Instead of assume.

17 hours ago, BigTreeWalker said:

Flipped rocks are also a good sign of bears in an area

I know I'm going off-topic, but that reminds me of something.   I've mentioned, at various times, the two consecutive nights in Aug 2011 when a friend and I had nocturnal camp visitors.   One detail I probably have over looked mentioning was finding a rock plucked out of the ground.   This was not an ordinary rock being moved.   This rock was elongated, nearly cylindrical with a slight bulge in the middle and rounded ends.   It had been buried in the ground so just part of one curved end was exposed to weather.    That part was dull gray with a bit of lichen on it.   The rest of the rock was still coated in a thin layer of dried red clay soil.   The rock had been vertically in the ground.   It was lying by an empty hole it'd been pulled from.   It wasn't dug up like an animal would do.   The soil around the hole was crack from the rock being lifted out.   It looked for all the world like it was "palmed" like a basketball and plucked straight up.    The rock appeared to be 18-20 inches long, about 8-10 inches at the fattest part, probably about an inch had been exposed to air, and the circle where the weathered part met the unweathered part was just under 6 inches around.    Weight .. probably a bit over 50 pounds.       So what can pluck a 50 pound rock, mostly buried, from the ground without digging it loose first?

I looked around ... didn't see any others similar.

I have my suspicions, of course, or I wouldn't mention it, but I don't truly know.

MIB

Edited by MIB

BFF Patron

I had a similar circumstance in High Uintas Utah.  Post-camp after expedition members left afternoon before.   Woke up early in camp explored the area.  Off the grid camp, walked around, huge rock as you described missing and just a big hole, explored around.....rock never found but did find a fresh green Aspen break ten ft up with no others around either. 

I worked a honey hole for nearly 4-5 years.   My tenth year anniversary comes up soon on my sighting.  We will see what summer produces for the reunion.  

12 hours ago, Twist said:

You must be Welsh.

20 hours ago, BigTreeWalker said:

Thanks Norse, it was a great list, with which I concur. It's also interesting that stumps being torn apart is on the list, because, unless we see them doing it, it's only possibly a bear. I do agree with the claw marks being bears though. Flipped rocks are also a good sign of bears in an area (but that one has the same problem as stumps), unless there are tracks nearby. 

But looking at your list, just be careful what you throw out as evidence (not proof) of bigfoot being in an area. Because some of those items were on your previously posted list as to what should not be used to determine bigfoot presence in an area. 

Im not saying it should not be used. What I'm saying is that if I cannot differentiate evidence based on known species vs a cryptid in a area? I'm certainly not calling it a "honey hole". You mark it on the map and move on.

As a kid I did this ALOT. I would faithfully buy my Elk tag each fall and go tromp around the Selkirks following Moose sign. One time I tracked these monster group of tracks into a clear cut in which the loggers had left a clump of spruce in the middle of. I sat down and waited. About dusk a group of four bull moose walked out of the spruce. The one was a 50 inch Moose with a drop tine  that touched his nose. I sweated and salivitated as I watched them walk over a ridge and disappear.

Now as a grey beard I don't follow Moose tracks around with a Elk tag in my pocket ;)

MIB, Bears flip rocks without digging. I see them all the time on my ranch. Even partially buried ones that are round. If it's a Sasquatch that is doing it? I've never seen collaberating hard evidence such as tracks or a sighting while flipping rocks.

BFF Patron

I had not seen this thread until just now.    I worked an active area for 4 years.     Then two years ago it went dead.     Most likely reason for this was extensive logging clear cut throughout the area, and my constant presence.       During the 4 years things went from friendly interaction to hostile behavior when I was present.     While the most likely reason the area went inactive was the logging,    I have to accept that I was the reason for the hostility towards the end.      Trying to force a BF to break cover by moving towards it is not a good tactic if you expect to be trusted and accepted in their area.   My desire to get video at any cost bit me in the end.    Because of the logging I felt pressure to force things before they lost all their cover and moved away.     I suppose in their mind they were being hunted.   In retrospect I may be lucky that all they did to me was growl when I got too close,    and do a tree break behind me to scare me.  

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:39 PM, FarArcher said:

Per the narratives I've read, a number of you have had lots of interaction with these critters.  I'm sure some places have occasional "action," while there may be one or more locations of yours where you almost always have some "action," or have "action" frequently enough to return to for the experiences.

Do any of you have a "Honey Hole" of sites that are frequently active?

I don't mean you got photos, or have a game of chess with them - but when you go to these sweet spots - you almost always have them around you in varying degrees?

And no, I'm not asking where they are.  Just - do you have a Honey Hole or two?

FarAcher

First what are you looking for?  Some of these things you are asking with these threads have already been answered at some time on this forum at some time. I would not even call them honey holes, since these creatures have the freedom to roam where ever they want when they want. We cannot stop them since they carry that freedom with in that domain. If I could have that freedom that they do I would be living it if I could. Who wouldn't ? Right !

If a site is active it is because they chose it to be active not the other way around. We have no control over their actions since every wild creature has a freedom of it's own.

I don't mean you got photos, or have a game of chess with them - but when you go to these sweet spots - you almost always have them around you in varying degrees?

I would not say what I had what you are saying in that sentence, it was wilder. Enough to say that in some strange way we were some how friends in a strange way. Would I shot one of the ones that have hung around me? at first yes for fear but then No. I felt the power that they had in the wilderness if I would have shot one while it stood in front of me. The ones that hung around me were always young ones. They would always spook my game away. Them darn little buggers. Little sticks and little rocks they would throw just to mess with me in the stand.  Yes they would come and go during seasons and now I see if you do not go out for awhile they leave. But now I want to know if they remember you in a different area and that is if they are in groups. I want to know why they move  or why they do this and that. That's my goal. But I would like to know what troubles you with these creatures? :huh: 

6 hours ago, Twist said:

LOL, Actually German.  

Oh.  

I was serious when I stated that I wish I'd never seen one. 

Some things once seen, simply cannot be unseen.  

• Upvote 1

^^^ hee!!   There are some OTHER people who wish I'd never seen one.   Creates a bigger problem for them than it does for me.

You're right, what has been seen cannot be unseen.   However, sometimes what has been seen, if seen again enough times, stops having quite such a charge attached to it.   Perhaps rather than avoidance and rather than going head-hunting ala Norseman, just going to find, observe, and maybe polish some of the jagged edge off would help?  

I noticed something ... think you'd understand.    The first deer I shot was the hardest thing I ever did.   The second was 10 times harder.   The third ... I couldn't remember what had been so hard, it was gone.   An acquaintance said the same thing about war .. he was in Vietnam.   He said the first person he killed was the hardest thing he ever did.   Second was many times harder.   After the third ... he shrugged and finished his lunch.   In both cases, a couple repeats of an initially horrifying thing had taken the edge off.   It's amazing what humans can get used to.    Maybe it would be applicable ... the next bigfoot meeting might be harder than the first one, but i think the edge would go off after that in a hurry.

Don't know, just a thought.  

MIB

30 minutes ago, FarArcher said:

Oh.  

I was serious when I stated that I wish I'd never seen one. 

Some things once seen, simply cannot be unseen.

FarArcher

Sure ! off course that's a given . Once seen cannot be unseen and is now there foreverrrr ! :mellow:

3 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

FarAcher

First what are you looking for?  Some of these things you are asking with these threads have already been answered at some time on this forum at some time. I would not even call them honey holes, since these creatures have the freedom to roam where ever they want when they want. We cannot stop them since they carry that freedom with in that domain. If I could have that freedom that they do I would be living it if I could. Who wouldn't ? Right !

If a site is active it is because they chose it to be active not the other way around. We have no control over their actions since every wild creature has a freedom of it's own.

I would not say what I had what you are saying in that sentence, it was wilder. Enough to say that in some strange way we were some how friends in a strange way. Would I shot one of the ones that have hung around me? at first yes for fear but then No. I felt the power that they had in the wilderness if I would have shot one while it stood in front of me. The ones that hung around me were always young ones. They would always spook my game away. Them darn little buggers. Little sticks and little rocks they would throw just to mess with me in the stand.  Yes they would come and go during seasons and now I see if you do not go out for awhile they leave. But now I want to know if they remember you in a different area and that is if they are in groups. I want to know why they move  or why they do this and that. That's my goal. But I would like to know what troubles you with these creatures? :huh: 

I'm not so sure some of these things have been covered so well - at least when addressed specifically in a direct question.  Many here have had multiple successes, and I'd assume in their many excursions, they've just learned where some of these clans are more active.  I was just curious.  

What am I looking for?  Patterns, I suppose.  I note that some who have had multiple indicators tend to return to the same areas - which would indicate some places may be more "populated."  I mean, no one would likely continue to return to the same areas where nothing has ever been shown to be "active."  Right?  I mean, after a dozen times with absolutely nothing - the natural tendency would be to try other areas until one discerns those areas with more activity.

What troubles me with these creatures?  Aside from the fact that Big Boy scared the living crap out of me, I'm kinda curious how they've honed some skills masterfully, and in other measurements of intelligence compared to humans - they're so "un-needy," or uninterested.  How can they be so developed in some traits, and so undeveloped in other traits?

MIB

This may sound awful, but killing never bothered me.  I was more interested in the process as a technician might/would be.  It was a job, no more and no less.  When no longer on the payroll, it was no longer my job.  The capacity for great violence does not equate to a preference for great violence.  Big difference.

On boards, I'm strictly a counter-puncher.  I come here after the news boards and sports boards - and never start anything on any of the boards.  But I'm all in once it starts!  I can disagree with someone on certain things - Yuchi is a no-kill - and we can disagree without being disagreeable, as I respect his position on that.    

I do appreciate your thoughts.  

27 minutes ago, ShadowBorn said:

FarArcher

Sure ! off course that's a given . Once seen cannot be unseen and is now there foreverrrr ! :mellow:

Since that up close - I have burned up hundreds of hours trying to learn more about those things - time I could have spent with the baby's momma!

Screwed up my priorities!