Olympic Peninsula Nesting Area Update

BobbyO

SSR Team

A vexing obstacle in the search for sasquatch has been the inability to successfully extract and sequence DNA from hair samples attributed to sasquatch on the basis of their distinctive morphology. Recent headlines have expounded the discovery of DNA of the enigmatic Denisovan hominins using environmental DNA (eDNA) survey methods, despite the lack of any physical or trace evidence of Denisovans occupying the cave. The potential for application of eDNA methods to the sasquatch question is obvious.The key to successful results is identifying the appropriate sample site. Recently, members of the Olympic Project, a group of citizen scientist investigators in Washington state, became aware of multiple ground nests of distinctive construction, yielding hairs of an unknown hominoid. Expert opinion is that these unusual nest were not made by bears. This seemed to be an ideal situation for an eDNA survey.

Read More - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sasquatch-nests-edna-study-science#/ 

Guest OntarioSquatch

Looks can be quite deceiving. Like nearly everyone else in this field of research, Meldrum and Disotell have been duped by the phenomenon itself.

That's correct OS, but each new sample brought to the table should bring new hope/opportunity .  If not, science/interest is discouraged.  

Eventually there will be that piece of "tipping point" evidence that puts this theory into the limelight.  It may be a body, or it may be nests that result in primate hair samples.  If it truly exists, eventually there will be a marker that cannot be ignored.

35 minutes ago, Twist said:

If it truly exists, eventually there will be a marker that cannot be ignored.

Agreed. I just think that marker would have been a long time ago. Far too long to even be a real possibility. 

5 minutes ago, dmaker said:

Agreed. I just think that marker would have been a long time ago. Far too long to even be a real possibility. 

I sure would have thought so as well. 

15 hours ago, BobbyO said:

A vexing obstacle in the search for sasquatch has been the inability to successfully extract and sequence DNA from hair samples attributed to sasquatch on the basis of their distinctive morphology. Recent headlines have expounded the discovery of DNA of the enigmatic Denisovan hominins using environmental DNA (eDNA) survey methods, despite the lack of any physical or trace evidence of Denisovans occupying the cave. The potential for application of eDNA methods to the sasquatch question is obvious.The key to successful results is identifying the appropriate sample site. Recently, members of the Olympic Project, a group of citizen scientist investigators in Washington state, became aware of multiple ground nests of distinctive construction, yielding hairs of an unknown hominoid. Expert opinion is that these unusual nest were not made by bears. This seemed to be an ideal situation for an eDNA survey.

Read More - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sasquatch-nests-edna-study-science#/ 

Thank you very much for sharing. Sounds very interesting .

4 hours ago, OntarioSquatch said:

Like nearly everyone else in this field of research, Meldrum and Disotell have been duped by the phenomenon itself.

When has Disotell ever been anything but rock solid reliable when it comes to testing alleged Bigfoot DNA?

I think OS is referring to the fact that Disotell has not figured out that bigfoot is not just a normal animal--bigfoot has been created by aliens. This is OS's theory about bigfoot.

On June 6, 2017 at 11:05 PM, Branco said:

OK, I said I wasn't going to spoon feed some info, but I am going to start a new thread.Presidential Memorandum of March 9, 2009. I'm going to explain what that memo's real purpose was, and how it aimed to actually take control of scientific research in EVERY field. I will post the memo, and, as I have time, i'll string it all together.

You are absolutely right FarArcher.

Has this thread been started?

BFF Patron
9 hours ago, Night Walker said:

When has Disotell ever been anything but rock solid reliable when it comes to testing alleged Bigfoot DNA?

I don't consider "a scientist" who openly "disses" (pardon the pun) Sasquatch on major interviews to be independent and the person you want to have your DNA testing done with but that has always been MHO, your mileage may vary depending upon the barrage of excrement you intend to put up with to get your answer.

On 5/31/2017 at 11:58 AM, norseman said:

The shows I've seen they basically follow the gorillas around, and even interact with them. What I want to know is if they found a Gorilla nest that was slept in 1-2 nights, six months ago? Would they still be able to gather samples? And would those samples yield DNA?

Remember that the west side of the Olympics gets 100 plus inches of rain per year.

Point well taken, but if in the county they have discussed at conferences then the location is more rain-shadowed eastern Olympics side of things.  Still time rather than rain even on the East side would be more of a factor with weathering and all. 

BFF Patron

Norseman:    "The shows I've seen they basically follow the gorillas around, and even interact with them. What I want to know is if they found a Gorilla nest that was slept in 1-2 nights, six months ago? Would they still be able to gather samples? And would those samples yield DNA?"

For those that think this interaction cannot be done with BF are not aware of the Tarzan Springs story from Oregon.   (See that story related in "The Oregon Bigfoot Highway")   A prospector was openly living with a group of BF as observed by a USGS mapping crew.    I am afraid that while very difficult to pull off, that sort of situation is the only way we are going to learn much about the everyday lives of BF.   

Sikes and Disotell are so openly contemptuous of BF,  I cannot see how they could be objective if interpretation was required in DNA samples they evaluate.     When there is question of contamination,    they will always rule on the side of contamination if the sample has similarities to human DNA.    The only thing that will change their mind is a BF body on a lab table.    I don't have a problem with that but some proponents think the two are in their camp just because they have done testing.     They are not proponents.   That said,  if they can be convinced of BF existence,  it will take good evidence and argument to do that.       

Edited by SWWASAS
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, bipedalist said:

I don't consider "a scientist" who openly "disses" (pardon the pun) Sasquatch on major interviews to be independent and the person you want to have your DNA testing done with but that has always been MHO, your mileage may vary depending upon the barrage of excrement you intend to put up with to get your answer.

What exactly did Disotell say to "dis" Bigfoot?

If his opinions compromised his judgments then it would show up in his work. Are there any specific incidences when Disotell has not been spot on with his DNA work?

DNA is convincing evidence to someone like Disotell. He is on a win-win here: if sample is mundane he gets to promote good science; if sample is a new species - he is on a major discovery...

This "SASQUATCH NESTS eDNA STUDY" is a great idea - much better than the usual "Fund me to find Bigfoot" crowdsourcing campaigns on offer. Disotell is exactly the right person for the job.

Everyone with an interest in the subject should be pitching in a buck or two. At the very least, this data will enable us to evaluate our own individual Bigfoot hypotheses. Will it reveal some ancient Homo relative? Giganto? Or just mundane species and modern human DNA:

anujuikdjqijp0debcoh.png

Which hypothesis will the data support? If it is not as expected will it change anyone's mind?

• Upvote 1

• masterbarber pinned this topic
  • masterbarber unpinned this topic