Bigfoot/sasquqtch Hunting Event

Guest CaptainMorgan

Evidently the difference between us is that I consider John J Audubon a great naturalist. His exquisite paintings of American birds are acknowledged as great art and important natural history, too.

His detailed, archival paintings were achieved by shooting an example of each species. Of course we now have cameras and lenses that allow the same view without fatal consequences for the animals. Mankind is keen that way, inventing and developing advanced technology.

Should we condemn Audubon or praise him? I betcha you and I disagree on that question.

Edited by Incorrigible1

SSR Team

Evidently the difference between us is that I consider John J Audubon a great naturalist. His exquisite paintings of American birds are acknowledged as great art and important natural history, too.

His detailed, archival paintings were achieved by shooting an example of each species. Of course we now have cameras and lenses that allow the same view without fatal consequences for the animals. Mankind is keen that way, inventing and developing advanced technology.

Should we condemn Audubon or praise him? I betcha you and I disagree on that question.

Not necessarily, the Man gave an insight into Birds that many may have never known & i suspect his devotion in doing it was superb.

It's still the same thing though be it next week or whenever it is in Oregon or 200 to 250 Years ag with a Man who shot different Birds in order to draw to show other Human Beings to satisfy their selfishness in " wanting to know "..

We want to know everything, we wnat to know if there's other lifeforms up in the sky, we want to know what's at the bottom of the Oceans & we generally attempt to know even if we don't always find out what we wnat to..

But that still, in my opinion, doesn't give us the right to kill things just to satisfy that greed, i think it's wrong..

& i think 8 Guys or whatever going out into an Oregon Forest with the sole intention of killing an Animal just so the majority of Humanity can open their Sunday Newspaper & say " Oh look, there is such a thing as BF after all " & then turn the Page over & not really give a **** ever again, is wrong too.

Here's Detroit Lake anyway, from the Mid 90's until present day. That's Mount Jefferson to the East..

post-136-003350900 1307172243_thumb.jpg

Edited by BobbyO

Admin

Hunting for sport is one thing, which I personally have no quarrel with. But this sounds like a witch hunt, no sport involved. From what I've read here, Bigfoot has nothing to worry about. If you are going into an area of a reported Bigfoot who has shown aggressive behavior, well, I will be betting on Bigfoot.

I think the unsafe part is a bunch of people who don't really know each other hunting for an animal that we don't really know much about. How will this animal react when it is shot? Will there be others of the animal in the woods trying to protect the shot animal? What if the bullet isn't strong enough to kill the animal and just pisses it off? There are a lot of variables in this "adventure". There is also the variable of the hunters themselves. If they have never seen a Bigfoot before what will there reaction be? I've read many reports where the people said they froze or didn't think they could shoot the creature because it looked too human. What if one man shoots the creature, relying on others for backup and they freeze? A group of guys getting together on CL to go hunt Bigfoot just seems like a really bad idea to me. Don't get me wrong. If they actually accomplished this I would buy the book once it was released to see the pictures and read the story but let's just say that I am not going to start putting my beer money aside to save up for the book right now.

When I've hunted out west, I didn't know anyone I was hunting with.

I don't think it would be much different than hunting grizzly.

Hunting for sport is one thing, which I personally have no quarrel with. But this sounds like a witch hunt, no sport involved. From what I've read here, Bigfoot has nothing to worry about. If you are going into an area of a reported Bigfoot who has shown aggressive behavior, well, I will be betting on Bigfoot.

I respect sport hunting and hunting for food.

Science wants one on a slab, lets give it to them.

Then they can be protected.

You guys know, if they were proven by Erickson and Ketchum or any others, science would still want one on a slab.

Edited by will

SSR Team

Then they can be protected.

Protected ??

From what ??

They don't need our protection, they're doing perfectly fine as it is it seems..

Protected ??

From what ??

They don't need our protection, they're doing perfectly fine as it is it seems..

Protected from all us crazy hunters.

Protected and managed, like wildlife should be.

• Upvote 1

I hope your gun jams and an 8' tall big black shaggy grabs you by the ankles and shows you the inner workings of a tree trunk.

More than likely though it is, you miss/panic/shoot and actually get the shot, which doesn't kill the Forest Giant right away....I mean hell, what kind of shot would it take to bring one down? Something freaking massive....you do that and it rips off one leg and uses it to break the other, laughing as it dies. It isn't worth the payoff. But as I said, if you Rene Dahinden it you won't be successful anyway, they are most certainly not dumbass enough to let someone with a rifle follow them through the woods.

SSR Team

Protected from all us crazy hunters.

Protected and managed, like wildlife should be.

We can't even get a Picture of them in the last 40 Years so don't think we can manage them, because we couldn't..

That's another Human trait thinking like that, arrogance ( i don't mean you directly, just in general )..

1 x body in Oregon would to little to protect the Skung Ape's that inhabit the Swamps of South Florida i'd guess.

They're miles ahead of us in their own domain & it's tough for many of us to accept that as we think we're the best thing on the Planet, hence the way of thinking you posted.

No Will, BobbyO is right. They aren't like a deer or a bear either. They aren't a game animal. They can't be managed. For that matter, they won't be managed. We aren't the ruler when it comes to them because they really are a kind of people.

These guys who are planning this little hunt, have no idea what these beings are really like. Maybe they've heard them or seen tracks but empathy towards them as thinking individuals is a distant concept. They still have this disconnected ignorant image of them as some giant ape, mostly because they have a hair covered body. Don't forget the case of Budweiser.

In all likelihood, the best case scenario is that they won't ever see a thing on their little outings. The worst case is that they will get a shot at one in an area where others have likely shot at them in the past, and this will only cause them to become more aggressive in that region. The area has always been a popular area to hunt and most people who live in the area also hunt. I'm sure a number of them have had encounters. I used to deer hunt up there as well. That is the same area where the District Biologist maintained a file on sightings. If they are real lucky, the leader will be taught a lesson before the hunt similar to the one I experienced.

(On a side note, one time when I was hunting up there, I had walked down into the edge of this timber from a tangent logging road. I was about 200 yds below at 45° below another landing that comes in from another road. Something caused me to look up and as I do, there is this guy looking down at me in a prone position through his rifles cope. I've always had excellent long vision and still do. I also listen to my inner voice. When I see him I immediately dive behind a big tree, then I peeked around the other side using my binoculars. Well that guy had on these super thick prescription glasses on that made his eyes look about 4" diameter from that distance. I can only imagine what he viewed me as from that distance? From then I just stayed in the timber so I wouldn't be visible to him anymore and become a hunter mortality statistic. That was 25 yrs ago.)

Guest Cervelo

PT,

That's pretty cool you knew you where being checked out. That inner voice has never steered me wrong!

Guest bsruther

Posse? Been there, done that!

Idiots...

tirademan

I remember the Sister Lakes monster. Was about 5 or 6 yo, at the time and moved out of Mich., not too long after that. I remember seeing an "artist" sketch, on the front page of the newspaper, it was wearing high top sneakers. Funny how the mind only lets you remember certain things and remember those things vividly.

No Will, BobbyO is right. They aren't like a deer or a bear either. They aren't a game animal. They can't be managed. For that matter, they won't be managed. We aren't the ruler when it comes to them because they really are a kind of people.

These guys who are planning this little hunt, have no idea what these beings are really like. Maybe they've heard them or seen tracks but empathy towards them as thinking individuals is a distant concept. They still have this disconnected ignorant image of them as some giant ape, mostly because they have a hair covered body. Don't forget the case of Budweiser.

In all likelihood, the best case scenario is that they won't ever see a thing on their little outings. The worst case is that they will get a shot at one in an area where others have likely shot at them in the past, and this will only cause them to become more aggressive in that region. The area has always been a popular area to hunt and most people who live in the area also hunt. I'm sure a number of them have had encounters. I used to deer hunt up there as well. That is the same area where the District Biologist maintained a file on sightings. If they are real lucky, the leader will be taught a lesson before the hunt similar to the one I experienced.

(On a side note, one time when I was hunting up there, I had walked down into the edge of this timber from a tangent logging road. I was about 200 yds below at 45° below another landing that comes in from another road. Something caused me to look up and as I do, there is this guy looking down at me in a prone position through his rifles cope. I've always had excellent long vision and still do. I also listen to my inner voice. When I see him I immediately dive behind a big tree, then I peeked around the other side using my binoculars. Well that guy had on these super thick prescription glasses on that made his eyes look about 4" diameter from that distance. I can only imagine what he viewed me as from that distance? From then I just stayed in the timber so I wouldn't be visible to him anymore and become a hunter mortality statistic. That was 25 yrs ago.)

Hunting has come a long way in safety, and I feel perfectly safe while hunting. The practice of looking through the rifle scope as your binoculars is very much a no no in hunting circles now.

The bf's are very intelligent, but they still are animals until proven otherwise.

I'm sure these guys will not see any though, seems like most people bump into them by luck.

We can't even get a Picture of them in the last 40 Years so don't think we can manage them, because we couldn't..

That's another Human trait thinking like that, arrogance ( i don't mean you directly, just in general )..

1 x body in Oregon would to little to protect the Skung Ape's that inhabit the Swamps of South Florida i'd guess.

They're miles ahead of us in their own domain & it's tough for many of us to accept that as we think we're the best thing on the Planet, hence the way of thinking you posted.

there is alot of animals miles ahead of us in there own domain. That is our uniqueness, in that, we can figure out how to overcome other species own domains and dominate them. Only to manage though. I'm sure you think that is arrogant. I look at as a responsibility. If this animal is real, we will learn more and more about them also.

Heck I'm sure when there finally discovered, they'll be helping us build hospitals, grow food, probably run for public office being as smart as they are.