Neanderthal DNA gets more complicated...

Guest Cricket

Guest Cricket

Yes, and here's the part that I thought was most interesting:  "... The differences between their mitochondrial DNA indicate that there was more mitochondrial genetic diversity in the Neanderthal population than was previously thought. This suggests that the Neanderthal population size once was much bigger than that estimated for the final stage of their existence..."

Thank you once again for sharing a very interesting article. I have read into the correlation of the  Neanderthal and the modern man . I would tend to agree split was more recent than previously thought

Cloning Neanderthal?  I'm not sure we are up to the challenge.  I watched a documentary about them once and they were studying the skeletons of 'Neaders'.  Specifically, the muscle attachments to give and idea of body build.  They compared them to scans of Arnold Schwarzenegger's bones while he was in his body building years and determined that his body build was equal to an average 'Neader' female.  The males were significantly heavier built.  Add that they also had larger brains than us modern men...  Scary.

17x7

Guest Cricket

6 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Thank you once again for sharing a very interesting article. I have read into the correlation of the  Neanderthal and the modern man . I would tend to agree split was more recent than previously thought

You're welcome, but I really have to credit my husband.  He subscribes to Science Daily and often emails me stuff like this.  If you are interested, check it out. 

4 hours ago, 17x7 said:

Cloning Neanderthal?  I'm not sure we are up to the challenge.  I watched a documentary about them once and they were studying the skeletons of 'Neaders'.  Specifically, the muscle attachments to give and idea of body build.  They compared them to scans of Arnold Schwarzenegger's bones while he was in his body building years and determined that his body build was equal to an average 'Neader' female.  The males were significantly heavier built.  Add that they also had larger brains than us modern men...  Scary.

17x7

Neanderthal females like Schwarzenegger--yikes!  About their brains:  The real metric is the ratio of brain to body size, rather than absolute brain size.  I can't remember how they compare to modern humans in that index. 

On 7/9/2017 at 5:18 PM, Cricket said:

Yes, and here's the part that I thought was most interesting:  "... The differences between their mitochondrial DNA indicate that there was more mitochondrial genetic diversity in the Neanderthal population than was previously thought. This suggests that the Neanderthal population size once was much bigger than that estimated for the final stage of their existence..."

And then there was this too.........

This influx of hominins would have been small enough that it did not result in a large impact on the Neanderthals' nuclear DNA. However, it would have been large enough to completely replace the existing mitochondrial lineage of Neanderthals, more similar to the Denisovans, with a type more similar to modern humans.

B)

• Upvote 1

Not really sure where I stand on all this, my own interest in the subject started waning this spring, I have not had any noticeable activity this year yet. That has kind of put things on the back burner so to speak. I am so busy at work and home I have not given it any time or thought really. I used to be thinking about this 24/7, and now it is simply a passing thought. Maybe I have achieved the proper perspective on the matter. If they exist what is the ramification for me, basically nothing changes. If they do not exist, well still nothing changes. I have not a vested interest in them existing, only that I have used that to explain some experiences I was fairly convinced about. Now with time being removed from those experiences I do not feel as much need to explain them, although they remain a mystery. I am sure this is the path of many so called experiential circumstances, it runs out of steam after a season. You just cannot prove things conclusively either way and that eventually needs to be let go of.

• Upvote 1

LCB.

Sounds like your being level headed about the subject of Bigfoot. But this is a Neanderthal thread. ;)

• Upvote 1