Native American understandings

Midnight Owl

I am a mixed blood tribal member of the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma.  The Cherokees as well as many other First Nation groups have well documented history and legends that extend back hundreds of years before the first European settlers landed in North America.  What people think, accept or believe today will not change these well established understandings.  

With that said, most tribes have solid beliefs as to what the Bigfoot; Sasquatch; Shampee etc. subject is and what it is not.  Views garnered from hundreds of years of experience living in and around the same areas these subjects inhabit.  They are regarded as something far more than a simple animal.  For whatever reasons, this level of respect or understanding remains quite foreign to a substantial number of the public.  They will believe what they choose to believe and that's okay, but how is that popular view working for them out in the field? 

One well known group of researchers has been attempting to "Harvest" a specimen for the last 10-15 years with hundreds of man hours spent , but to no avail in an area reported to be a hotbed of activity.  A simple animal should have been shot and killed long ago.  More recently, two non-hunters staying with this group had excellent multiple sightings.  No accident by any means.           

I have attached a video I shot and put together from last December.  It briefly conveys the mutual understanding that one tribal member has with the Forest People.  A live and let live arrangement that works for him no matter what others accept or believe.

Newest U-tube video

https://youtu.be/PtZYXotGMRI

• Upvote 1

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the video. 

However, everything in the video could be nature and human. 

One of the reasons I believe in BF is the fact that Native Americans from the east coast to west have a reference or a name for them throughout their history.  And they stay very consistent. And as for me I have seen enough evidence in the last two years to believe in BF !

• Upvote 1

Thanks PG and yes, as with many videos and other evidence, they could easily be orchestrated by someone other than the Big Guys.  That said, if you were personally there with us and saw just how remote these locations were, the chances of a random prankster are not impossible, but highly unlikely.  This was fenced privately owned land within the tribal territory.  Nothing there to draw a third party person.  Our visit with the owner was spontaneous and not planned.  The directions and movement covered wide areas of heavily wooded land with hills and deep ravines that are not easily traversed quickly.  That all said, the heat signature on the crest suddenly appeared and a bit later was gone making no sounds among the dried leaves. 

I quit trying to prove anything regarding their existence and just enjoy the ride and love sharing information with interested folks.   

• Upvote 3

If anyone has done field research there are always unexpected twists and turns.  I took several hours of video out there both day and night, most of which had absolutely nothing of value.  This brief clip catches a moment I wasn't expecting and I'm sure there are some of you that can totally relate to this!

Dogs.wmv

I am a mixed blood tribal member of the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma.  The Cherokees as well as many other First Nation groups have well documented history and legends that extend back hundreds of years before the first European settlers landed in North America.

Hi Midnight Owl,

What are some of the earliest documented accounts of the Bigfoot history/legend from the Cherokee?

I do not accept the premise that Bigfoot can read your mind and either choose to reveal themselves or not based on your intentions.

We have members of project Grendel with sightings under their belts. And proof? How is that working for any of us? I don't really see the need to alienate any one group pro kill or not.

• Upvote 2

Nice video, Midnight Owl! Your approach is lovely, and the approach that the land owner takes is lovely, and the proof is in the pudding -- or, um, peanut butter.

Glad you're still out there showing them that there are a few decent humans they can trust.

Oh, and great audio and FLIR catches. And that landscape is really beautiful! Rock on.  :)

I still struggle with the concept of filming one with thermal and not pinpointing the area so in the morning  you can gather any type of evidence it might have let behind

being , hair rubbed and caught on bark , tracks etc..

Nice video though

thanks for sharing it

You're most welcome 7.62.  I stopped working at gathering most evidence several years ago and just watch, enjoy and take pictures to share when I can.  I leave that very disappointing, convoluted, maddening effort to others to try and prove it.      

• Upvote 1

I don't do the folklore stuff, but I can agree on one thing you touched upon. I've stated on here several times in the past and have known this for years now that it's fully apparent that they don't know we can't see them in the dark. The crouching and hiding/concealment behaviors in the darkness fully shows this. I've observed this behavior with both infrared and thermal cameras. They like to stay hidden with both mediums. I used to think that since it's widely believed they can detect infrared light, that they stay hidden because they saw the infrared light beaming at them from the night vision. But since thermal gives off absolutely no light at all, they still exhibit this behavior when observed with a thermal camera. So they simply don't know we can't see them in the dark and they stay hidden because they think we can see them.. Also, I'm sure they can tell if you're looking in their direction with any type of camera day or night, since you're looking their way they notice you looking towards them and will stay concealed more. But this only accounts for some encounters that people have, some Bigfoot are just brazen and doesn't care about staying hid.

• Upvote 3

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:26 PM, Midnight Owl said:

Thanks PG and yes, as with many videos and other evidence, they could easily be orchestrated by someone other than the Big Guys.  That said, if you were personally there with us and saw just how remote these locations were, the chances of a random prankster are not impossible, but highly unlikely.  This was fenced privately owned land within the tribal territory.  Nothing there to draw a third party person.  Our visit with the owner was spontaneous and not planned.  The directions and movement covered wide areas of heavily wooded land with hills and deep ravines that are not easily traversed quickly.  That all said, the heat signature on the crest suddenly appeared and a bit later was gone making no sounds among the dried leaves. 

I quit trying to prove anything regarding their existence and just enjoy the ride and love sharing information with interested folks.   

Thank you and I appreciate the explanation and have great respect for  Native Americans . My Father ,grandmother and grandfather have Native American blood .I have been told many stories . Mostly in the spiritual sense and in my honest opinion folklore.

Midnight Owl, thanks for the video. Regarding the part about the peanut butter: There was a BFRO report posted on here some 4-5 months(?) ago where the person giving the report had a similar experience with peanut butter, as mentioned in the video. I think this may have been in Kentucky. I can't quite recall the details but as I remember he had put out some peanut butter on a log after some recent activity and when he checked later, he found the jars were still there but the peanut butter was gone. Maybe not totally gone but something like that. I think maybe there were pictures with the report.

The heat thermal images were interesting.

6 hours ago, TritonTr196 said:

.....I've stated on here several times in the past and have known this for years now that it's fully apparent that they don't know we can't see them in the dark. The crouching and hiding/concealment behaviors in the darkness fully shows this....

I find this to be an extremely important observation that should not be taken lightly. Thank you TritonTr196!

While there's certainly a probability that this is true for some them, but in light of accounts where they approach campfires to the point where their eye reflection is noticeable by we humans, if they think we see as well as they do at night, wouldn't this behaviour imply that in their minds they're exposing themselves entirely? For if we had their night vision we would see them clearly well before the point where we actually just see the eyeshine. Does that make any sense?

Of course, I'd also bet that there are some more aware of our visual limitations than others, be it due to age, population, "clan knowledge" or  Just individual experience and reasoning....while others may not have that understanding (young ones, those with limited habitat intrusion by people, or they're  not sure if you're holding a night scope or just messing with em with a pair of binoculars...)