Forget about a body...what about one decent pic?

Guest Starling

35 minutes ago, ioyza said:

But what came first - your interest in bigfoot, or your interest in hunting? And besides, your childhood experiences weren't part of an experiment.

Why not? I was a child unarmed playing in the woods.

What does my interests have to do with it? 

Guest Cricket

i can't help but recall that it took Korean cameraman Sooyong Park six years living 24/7 in bunker in the wild to film Siberian tigers.  I'm not aware that anyone has attempted even one year doing that to get an image of BF. 

1 minute ago, norseman said:

Why not? I was a child unarmed playing in the woods.

What does my interests have to do with it? 

You wouldn't have noticed the unusual things we know to notice. And the experiment asks the question: Do they avoid you because they identify you as a hunter because of the obvious rifle you carry around? Why not test the idea?

3 minutes ago, Cricket said:

i can't help but recall that it took Korean cameraman Sooyong Park six years living 24/7 in bunker in the wild to film Siberian tigers.  I'm not aware that anyone has attempted even one year doing that to get an image of BF. 

This I like.

On topic: "Forget about a body...what about one decent pic?"

I'm sorry to say I cannot forget about a body 

15 minutes ago, ioyza said:

You wouldn't have noticed the unusual things we know to notice. And the experiment asks the question: Do they avoid you because they identify you as a hunter because of the obvious rifle you carry around? Why not test the idea?

Because I'm going to shoot one. 

Edited by norseman

Getting a good photo was my number one goal when I first got interested in BFs.  I took cameras with nice 150-300mm lenses with me whenever I went on any major hikes.  Since then I have come to the conclusion that even if I got a perfect shot it would be discounted as a fraud and would not move the needle 1% in the quest to get them accepted as a  species.  In my last encounter where I got screamed at from about 100 yards I did not even bother aiming my camera towards the sounds.  After retreating for a minute and then circling back on his/her position to get a peek I not once thought of taking a picture.   It is an almost like been there done that and not worth the hassle of dragging along the gear.  I also came to the conclusion a few years ago that if I ever did get a pic I would not share it with the general population.  Perhaps a few friends and enthusiast but not a general forum.  

Just one data point for the conversation.

9 minutes ago, NCBFr said:

Getting a good photo was my number one goal when I first got interested in BFs.  I took cameras with nice 150-300mm lenses with me whenever I went on any major hikes.  Since then I have come to the conclusion that even if I got a perfect shot it would be discounted as a fraud and would not move the needle 1% in the quest to get them accepted as a  species.  In my last encounter where I got screamed at from about 100 yards I did not even bother aiming my camera towards the sounds.  After retreating for a minute and then circling back on his/her position to get a peek I not once thought of taking a picture.   It is an almost like been there done that and not worth the hassle of dragging along the gear.  I also came to the conclusion a few years ago that if I ever did get a pic I would not share it with the general population.  Perhaps a few friends and enthusiast but not a general forum.  

Just one data point for the conversation.

Thats to bad you stopped, considering you appear to know a rather active area.  

I tend to disagree with you opinion.  A photograph is not going to prove squat but I think it could move the needle.   You don't have to move all of "sciences needle", you just have to peek the interest in that one person or group that can get the ball rolling.  It may be years later that something is proven and there may be no credit to your photo, but a small needle move may start it.   

Meldrum, and Krantz are examples of science raising its eyebrow at the subject.  A few more or just the right one may crack it.

• Upvote 1

What is a clear photo going to do that the PGF has not already done?

We know where the film site is, have comparison photos with McClarin and the foreground/background. We have a trackway associated with the film. We have a bulging- flexing film subject.

I agree with NCBFr.

4 hours ago, Cricket said:

They'd just avoid the bunker... or throw rocks at it from just out of view.

I mean honestly, is it that hard to stop underestimating them?

50 minutes ago, Twist said:

A photograph is not going to prove squat but I think it could move the needle.   You don't have to move all of "sciences needle", you just have to peek the interest in that one person or group that can get the ball rolling.  It may be years later that something is proven and there may be no credit to your photo, but a small needle move may start it.   

Meldrum, and Krantz are examples of science raising its eyebrow at the subject.  A few more or just the right one may crack it.

Did Todd Standing's closeup videos move the needle? Or did they just move the needle of the community's sphygmomanometers? 

I agree with the second part, but Bryan Sykes didn't quite get there... 

Just now, ioyza said:

They'd just avoid the bunker... or throw rocks at it from just out of view.

I mean honestly, is it that hard to stop underestimating them?

Did Todd Standing's closeup videos move the needle? Or did they just move the needle of the community's sphygmomanometers? 

I agree with the second part, but Bryan Sykes didn't quite get there... 

Nope, sure didn't move the needle I suppose....all though there are possibilities yet ahead.  Sykes may just be another pebble in the avalanche.  Someone in a year from now may choose to review his work and take interest in the subject.  Maybe they crack it 5 years from now.  

But, your right, the guy next to me failed therefore I should give up.  

Nah not saying anyone should give up anything (except maybe hunting them...). Pebbles in an avalanche is all we need. Or pebbles in a glacier. Something like that.

Trog- if you went through the entire thread looking for the reference, I'd say it's time to switch back to decaf...Just a thought though...:rolleyes:

Perhaps the "convenience" of these cell phone cameras is all part of the conspiracies that made the BF fuzzy for the analogy cameras...maybe...

Norse....I'm getting the impression you want to shoot one.....lol

For some reason the quote feature failed me the first time around.

Anyhow my modus operandi generally is to ride a horse or a mule with my rifle in a scabbard under my left leg. I dismount to the left side and the butt of the rifle is right by my right hand.

Bigfoot would not see the rifle on my person. And Bob Gimlin rode right up on one in similar fashion.

Edited by norseman
Added

• masterbarber pinned this topic
  • masterbarber unpinned this topic